Home

who wants to help finish dfmod

spiffman1912

Going back to my earlier statement, I think one of you should try to recruit a team of real-life modders in your area to serve as the bulk of the team, because we all know how Internet project tend to end up. When you've got real people working together under one roof, things tend to be a lot easier and more productive. Still don't exclude people from the Internet from lending a hand, though.

College campi are probably your best places to look, especially at technical schools.

I firmly believe that this is the only way such large projects can truly be completed.

I may also be able to help with designing new/modified content in the ship levels as I have a background in spaceship design...See here:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/455

I think it might also help to have a detailed to-do list for DFMOD for the purposes of coordinating the remaining work. This might also eliminate the need for some of us newbies to learn the entirety of map-making (a time-consuming process). We could maybe learn how to do a few tasks very well and just add that specific content to each of the remaining maps. I'm sure there are many of us out there who, having played the godly 6-level demo, wish to help but are daunted by the enormous task of learning to create entire levels to high standards set by the creators of the first 6 maps. Just a thought.

Fafnir_6

Good idea. We should organize a large group of people and work on something we all can work on. My only fear is that the editors will make a room-by-room recreation of the entire game, rather than one's own interpretation of how the levels and areas should look. The best part of the DF mod is that the final 4 levels are so unique, you practically can't tell it's a recreation. Fest was a hellfest for me, and Fest is one of my fave levels in the original game! And it won't look good if we have the first 6 levels being unique in their own way, and have the final 8 levels being carbon copies with JA graphics. It was genius how we had to actually rescue Crix Madine, and it would rock to do the same kind of thing on Jabba's ship with Jan, maybe even using stealth elements like that part of JO. I wonder if it'd even be possible to make levels that weren't in the original game, just to add more to the story. Hmm, I even have a plan in my head that Boba Fett constantly stalks you and has minifights with you throughout the Coruscant level.

Yeah, I'll set before you an example of a remake which I think is a good game to learn from: Tomb Raider: Anniversary. It's a remake of the original Tomb Raider game, yet the level designs and FMVs are so different in some places that feels like a fresh, new adventure. This is how a remake should be done: doing it in such a way that it feels equally fresh to both those who have played the original and those who have not.

And for the love of God, please rework the first level so that the mission briefing comes after the opening crawl rather than before.

Yes! TR: Anniversary was a great game and I prefer it over the original. Shame on me, though, as I never completed it...I got stuck near the end in some annoying timed jumping puzzle and I kept dying. At least I have TR: Underworld to look forward to....

Another remake I've heard is good and fresh is Resident Evil when it was remade for the GameCube.

• 4 weeks later...

None of these levels is finished either. There are working - and in the case of fuel station, playable - builds for all of them except the arc hammer but they only include portions of the levels and still need lots of scripted events, enemies, etc., to finish them. The existing framework for narshada, jabba's ship, and the executor, however, ought to make those levels much easier for new mappers to finish. Fuel station is kind of a mess so I wouldn't recommend using it but that's entirely up to you guys.

Have any of the semi completed levels not been claimed? i'd like to help finish this. If not just throw out a level that needs to be finished and i'll tackle it.

Robotics Facility

Jabba's Ship

Imperial City

Fuel Station

Executor

Arc Hammer

Take your pick. :)

Thats it huh :lol: I guess i can take my pick here and see which one i feel i'd be better at finishing. be prepared to get bombarded with questions from hell. LOL. I'll go over them tonight and let you guys know tomorrow. :)

OK i went over some of the levels last night, and i've decided to take on Jabba's Ship. I've already started cleaning up some of the textures for the walls. it should be a pretty straight forward job finishing this level. However, when i tried to test it out in JA i got 2 error messages saying something about door ambeince medium and small. any idea what that means?

OK i went over some of the levels last night, and i've decided to take on Jabba's Ship. I've already started cleaning up some of the textures for the walls. it should be a pretty straight forward job finishing this level. However, when i tried to test it out in JA i got 2 error messages saying something about door ambeince medium and small. any idea what that means?

Are you receiving this error message when compiling the map or trying to load the level in JA? If it's a problem with loading the map make sure you're loading it from within the mod and that all the "jabship" map files are contained in a separate "maps" subdirectory in the mod's folder. If the error persists, try removing doors from the map (you can always create new ones quite easily), compile and see what happens. In the meantime, I'll take a look at the level and see if I run into any similar problems.

Are you receiving this error message when compiling the map or trying to load the level in JA? If it's a problem with loading the map make sure you're loading it from within the mod and that all the "jabship" map files are contained in a separate "maps" subdirectory in the mod's folder. If the error persists, try removing doors from the map (you can always create new ones quite easily), compile and see what happens. In the meantime, I'll take a look at the level and see if I run into any similar problems.

I get that when i run it through JA. so transfer the Jabba files in the DFmod directory and then load it from that game? OK i'll try that tonight and see what happens.

If you need help with sounds, let me know. You probably have a copy of the original game, ConMan, and GoldWave. Those three things right there are all you would need to get and make sounds for the map. But the offer stands, in case you don't.

you know i do not own a copy of the original game. :( (please don't kill me). In fact I have't played the original since it first came out way back when on the pc. MS DOS baby! oh wait i'm thinking of doom. lol but that was one reason I was so stoked about this mod. but if I run into any problems along the way i'll scream.

Archived