Home

Lego Indiana Jones

The Tingler

I'd also be curious to hear folks' thoughts on the level content of the game as-is? If it's six levels for each movie, then I'm thinking...

Raiders

*The Jungle Temple/Escape from the Jungle Temple

*Nepal Bar Shootout

*Cairo Marketplace Chase

*Well of Souls

*Chasing the Ark

*German Submarine Base/Final Scene (?)

Temple of Doom

*Shootout at the Club Obi-Won

*Downhill Raft Slalom

*Journey to/in Pankot (?)

*Stealing the Sankara Stones/Rescuing Willie (?)

*Mine Cart Chase

*The Final Showdown/Bridge Fight

Crusade

*Young Indiana Jones Chase

*Beneath the Streets of Venice/Speedboat Chase (?)

*Rescuing Henry Jones Sr.

*Motorcycle Chase

*Escaping the Zeppelin

*Attacking the Convoy/The Three Challenges/Final Scene (?)

*KOCS Bonus Level

Your thoughts?

I think this is a prime piece for speculation. I think it's obvious that, just like with Lego Star Wars, we're not going to get every level that we want or expect. There's just too many.

I sort of hope there isn't a few of these vehicle-levels like the Downhill Raft Slalom as they were always the worst bits of LSW, but if they're going to appear they'll be a full level, so no Venice Tombs/Speedboat Chase stuff.

I'd think they might cut out Escaping the Zeppelin and Speedboat Chase in favour of Motorcycle Chase (if we think LSW again, then only one vehicle level per movie) for the simple reason that there IS a Motorcycle Chase Lego Set, and so Lego would have a fit if they didn't promote it in-game.

I'd personally REALLY love it if they just munched the vehicle levels altogether. You could argue that they play a pretty crucial role to the Indy trilogy and should be included, but I totally agree that their mechanics in the LSW trilogy were entertaining for about thirty-two seconds. Flying around in maniac loop-de-loops looking for that one exploding piece of scenery that contains the kit piece you're missing... ugh. No thanks.

That said, they could do something along the lines of the beginning of ROTJ's skiff level for the convoy scenes, with Indy moving in semi-platform fashion from one truck to the next.

Thanks for bouncing the thread to the forums, btw!

New article (with first level playthrough description) here.

The game’s hub area is Barnett College, the place where Dr. Jones teaches class. This area functions the way the “Attack Of The Clones” bar and the Mos Eisley cantina did in the two “LEGO Star Wars” games. The hub provides access to 18 levels, six for each of the first three Indy movies.

* I learned that even though the game’s puzzles will never be designed for more than two characters that, on the console versions, up to four players will be able to run through levels together.

* I was told that the Wii game will have motion-triggered bull-whipping. When I asked if it would function the same as the lightsaber-swinging did in the Wii version of “LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga or if it would offer 1:1 remote-to-whip synchronized control, the producers said to expect something akin to the “Star Wars” interface.

* The console versions of the “Indy” game are being made by the same team at Traveller’s Tales that did the “Star Wars” games; it’s a different team that’s doing “LEGO Batman.”

* I was told not to worry about reports that the Nazis have been removed form the LEGO version of the trilogy. The plot will stay intact; the bad guys just won’t wear swastikas.

* I was only shown the Xbox 360 version of the game, but PC, PS2, PS3, and Wii versions are al slated for June 3 2008. So are DS and PSP versions. I didn’t learn much about them except that the DS stylus will handle whipping and that the microphone will be used for blowing up rafts (in a “Temple of Doom” scene, I presume) and blowing out torches. Oh, and you’ll be able to control the “Raiders” monkey in the DS game.

From the Hasbro Indy toys page:

INDIANA JONES 3 ¾” THE LOST TEMPLE OF AKATOR PLAYSET

(Approximate Retail Price: $39.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: Fall 2008)

This fantastic 3 ¾” scale playset allows kids to reenact what is sure to be one of Indy’s most fantastic adventures, as seen in the upcoming Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. As he enters the dangerous Lost Temple, Indy finds himself confronted with the most devious series of traps and puzzles he has ever encountered. Kids help Indy navigate boulders blasts and quicksand traps! Solve the obelisk puzzle to reveal the entrance to this mysterious kingdom! The playset includes INDIANA JONES and UGHA WARRIOR figures.

The "obelisk puzzle" is definitely that part you're referring to in the trailer, but is that that same thing that's atop the temple? (I assumed it was a structure near the temple or something.) Maybe so, now that you mention it!

Well, huzzah. Not to go tooting anything inappropriate, but it looks like the sloppy guesswork approach was pretty much accurate:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=183682

The Mojolicious link confirms some kind of vehicle inclusion (Horses, mine carts and motorcycles?) as well as the fact that some levels will apparently be compressed events, such as the Young Indy section of Crusade making a segue into the brawl on the Coronado.

I personally can't wait. Awesome.

• 2 months later...

This is regarding the KOCS sets, not the videogame.

I wonder how much stuff changed from the early drafts of the Koepp script? Most licensed LEGO sets are pretty close to the movie scenes they are supposed to depict.

But these KOCS sets take some pretty big liberties (or things were changed in the script along the way - there's apparently a year lead time on LEGO sets)

7625-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

River Chase;

In a terrific vehicle chase, Indiana Jones™ and his team attempt a daring river escape in an amphibious vehicle built to travel on both water and land! But the soldiers have a boat of their own, and they’re in hot pursuit. Look out for the net trap, the snapping crocodile and snakes!

* Includes Indiana Jones with hat, whip and bag, Marion Ravenwood™ and two Russian Guard™ minifigures!

* Watch out for the soldier hidden in the tree!

* Drop the net from the tree!

* Vehicle measures 6" (15cm) long!

OK, so the amphibious vehicle is fine, but the russian sniper with net in the tree, inflatable boat, snakes and crocodile?

7627-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

Strange russian vehicle in the temple set. Caterpillar tracks?

1211313306_SPLASH.jpg

The only such plane seen was a silver/grey & blue Pan American Airlines one. This comes with russian jeep (that should have been with the river chase set, I reckon). Also a baggage tractor, russians, Spalko etc.

7624-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

All the sets with Spalko also have this odd sword rack (back right), even though all the swords in the film came in a box/case.

I think you're right that to some extent LEGO took liberties. I also think some of the stuff came from deleted scenes, rather than outdated screenplays. That this movie has deleted footage is certain, since it has a (relative to the self-indulgent "escapist" movies that seem to be the norm these days) rather brisk running time of two hours max, and I don't think it got there without some slight help with the scissors. Don't quote me on this, but I do seem to remember something about crocodiles in the movie outside of the LEGO sets, among other things that aren't in the final cut that you're got me interesting in looking up now.

Jeb Stuart's 1995 script, which seems to be the one a lot of the ideas for this movie were first taken from by the people who attempted it later, had crocodiles in it. I think it was part of the opening montage though - there was definitely a river with crocs in it somewhere. They probably stayed in the script because no-one is going to submit an Indy script without as much action as they can cram into it - it was just too much after the previous action scene or something.

It's pretty amazing how many ideas were borrowed from the infamous "Saucer Men" draft (ants, riverboat/waterfall chase, wedding, soviets, escape from nuke in fridge), which has been on the internet since forever. It makes you wonder how similar the final screenplay must be with the semi-recently rejected ones like Darabont and Nathanson. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the basic storyline were the same.

It does kind of make sense though, since it's obvious this storyline has been in George's head for over a decade. Plus, a lot of the set pieces for Temple of Doom were recycled from cut ideas in Raiders. Lucas and Spielberg have never been coy about the fact that these movies' screenplays were little more than things to hang their set piece ideas on. (When you've got a great writer like Kasdan the result is amazing, when you've got a writer like Koepp the result is more "serviceable.")

I really, really don't think the LEGO folks were basing their ideas on rejected screeplays though, and especially not ones from 13 years ago.

I'm not suggesting they used a 13 year old script to base the sets on. But I'd say that the LEGO sets do show some early ideas from Koepp's script ideas that were discarded along the way - either before or during production, or as you've already said, on the editing room floor.

Archived