Home

U.S. Navy tests Railgun

Corinthian

The United States Navy released this about a week ago. They're planning on replacing the gunpowder-based guns on our destroyers and such with Rail Guns capable of firing over 290 miles, as opposed to the current ones which have a maximum range of twelve miles.

I think I speak for everyone when I say "Holy crap." Also, that's awesome.

Article

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet!!! Hopefully this new kinetic railgun thing can also be adapted to be used to be able to shoot down those nasty new impossible-to-shoot down Russian ICBM's...

All in all this new weapon makes me feel alot safer as an American. Maybe all this military spending isn't so pointless after all.

It's got a range of 290 miles. They can sail up the Persian Gulf and bombard just about everything in Iraq with it, and it can hit a 5 meter target. THAT'S what makes it so good.

Also, this gives us a strategic edge in the event the People's Republic of China decides it would like to see it's flag hanging over the White House. Replace the PRC with any of the other Anti-Freedom pals. Also, this gun could potentially be used for something similar to the SDI Program, thus giving us a missile shield against ICBM attack.

Also, if we neglect our military, we invite dictators in the vein of Hitler to come back and catch us flat-footed.

It's got a range of 290 miles. They can sail up the Persian Gulf and bombard just about everything in Iraq with it, and it can hit a 5 meter target. THAT'S what makes it so good.

And you cant do that allready :confused: I thought missiles where made for a reason.

Also, this gives us a strategic edge in the event the People's Republic of China decides it would like to see it's flag hanging over the White House.

Why would they when they earn billions by exporting goods to the U.S? And as far as I know it would be easier and cheaper to use missiles.

Replace the PRC with any of the other Anti-Freedom pals.

Like? I'm only counting countries that represent a threat to the U.S

Also, this gun could potentially be used for something similar to the SDI Program, thus giving us a missile shield against ICBM attack.

Nice, lets focus on developing railguns for that.

Also, if we neglect our military

Not saying you should, countries should (with a few exeptions, my country being one) be able to defend themselves against likely threats.

Putin is a dictator?? That's new.

Also, this gives us a strategic edge in the event the People's Republic of China decides it would like to see it's flag hanging over the White House. Replace the PRC with any of the other Anti-Freedom pals. Also, this gun could potentially be used for something similar to the SDI Program, thus giving us a missile shield against ICBM attack.

You do know other nations have better things to do than plot against the U.S?

Keepign our military strong is essential for us to keep the country safe while it's weak from it's econimic debt. Many countries probably veiw us as a potentially weak target right now, so no wonder the governement is funding new weapons like this. In order to protect the country while we rebuild our economy, we need to advnace our technological prowess in the military. Why else are Russia and China and other coutnries comign upw ith these new superweapons all of a sudden than to take advantage of our country's current weakness? Fear of our thousands of nukes and a massive military/air force/navy isn't goign to keep the other countries at bay for long. After all, how hard is it for a country like Russia to create an anti-missile defense system against the U.S.A's nukes? Just because we don't know what secret weapons coutnries like russia has doesn't mean that our military is still the top military in the world. just because the U.S has a stealthy military with many powerful secrets doesn't mean Russia and china and korea and other countries don't either. i bet our military leaders have realied that, and no wonder they're makign new weapons like this after they've seen the all the new weaposn other countries are suddenly makign all of a sudden...

Why else are Russia and China and other coutnries comign upw ith these new superweapons all of a sudden than to take advantage of our country's current weakness?

Well, did you happen to think they might simply want to protect their countries from any outside threats?

Fear of our thousands of nukes and a massive military/air force/navy isn't goign to keep the other countries at bay for long.

I'm going to repeat the question I posed to Corinthian: You do know other nations have better things to do than plot against the U.S?

Many countries probably veiw us as a potentially weak target right now, so no wonder the governement is funding new weapons like this.

Tell me, which country is close to being capabale of taking the u.s? And who would benefitt from taking the u.s? As far as I know no country is even thinking of striking the u.s, even if it spent much less on the military, its nuclear weapons should deter anyone.

Why else are Russia and China and other coutnries comign upw ith these new superweapons all of a sudden than to take advantage of our country's current weakness?

Or maybe it's for the same reasons the u.s keeps developing weapons, you know like defending themselves.

Fear of our thousands of nukes and a massive military/air force/navy isn't goign to keep the other countries at bay for long.

Why not?

After all, how hard is it for a country like Russia to create an anti-missile defense system against the U.S.A's nukes?

Considering how hard it has been for the u.s to create one, I would guess quite hard.

Just because we don't know what secret weapons coutnries like russia has doesn't mean that our military is still the top military in the world.

Well, considering how much the u.s spends on the military, I sure hope they have the best military. Though with the amount of nukes, I don't think having the "top military" matters much.

and no wonder they're makign new weapons like this after they've seen the all the new weaposn other countries are suddenly makign all of a sudden...

And no wonder those countries are making lots of new weapons when they see all the new weapons the u.s is making all of a sudden..........

Okay let's see here...

Russia has made an ICBM no missiel defense system can currently shoot down, that can pak a massive payload... Russia also makes a missiel designed specifically to destroy bomb shelters... China designs an anti-stallite missile, which can easily be upgraded to reach the very high up U.S military satallites, and can easily be equipped with radar jammign technology...

And 900 billion dallars a year of russia's economy is disappaerign into thin air, russia's helathcare system becoming horribly underfoudned. just were is that 900 billion a year going, exactly, and just why has most of russia's military stance been secret and concealed more thna u.S conceals it's military for the last 15 years? Just why does russia test it's new ICBM no missile-defense system can shoot down by flyign over the united states to that the whole U.S.A could see? Just why does the U.S suddenly start making even more powerful weapons after russia and china and such start making new super-weapons? just why does russia supply the middle east countries liek iraq with weapons? just why?

Cruise Missiles are extremely expensive. A shot from a railgun is not.

Do other nations have better things to do than plot against the U.S.? Not really. We're the most powerful nation on Earth, without doubt. So, no, a powermongering lunatic like the PRC or North Korea doesn't have much better to do than find ways to collapse the United States and our allies.

Besides, these weapons are the only weapons short of Nuclear weapons that would have any chance of repulsing an assault by Extraterrestrials.

Also, the Railgun is also a proposed means of launching spacecraft from Earth. I'm not kidding. A proper, working Railgun could be the biggest technological advancement since the transistor.

Besides, these weapons are the only weapons short of Nuclear weapons that would have any chance of repulsing an assault by Extraterrestrials.

Id think that if ExtraTerrestrials would try and invade earth they would have more powerful weapons then Rail guns. Plus Id think that if they wanted to invade earth they would have done it already when the human race didn't have any weapons

But I don't want to stray this topic to how railguns will kill aliens.

Archived