Home

RATE TOO LOW?

Mendel

Sorry if this has been addressed elsehwere, but I just today loaded MB2 and tried to join a few servers. Several said my rate was too low (4000 versus 5000 or 10000, etc). What is this and can I do anything about it? I run a dual core with 8 gig ram, so I figure I should be able to do alright. Probably some setting somewhere?

rate Identical to the rate setting in Quake2 in that it controls packets so that your downstream connection bandwidth does not get saturated. Setting controls maximum bytes per second.

People used to struggle with snaps, sv_fps and rate to find a perfect frames-per-second (fps) and server FPS/rate/snaps combination that would allow them to have better connectivity, pings and such. I don't know how that translates to JKA terms but I know that it tends to improve your ping a bit in some cases.

Your rate dictates the speed at which your connection is able to communicate with the server. It needs to reflect your internet connection speed. I'm sure you can find more information if you look around on the Google.

From what I remember, I think 4000-5000 is dialup while 10000-15000 is cable/DSL. 250000 is probably too high unless you have a direct brain connection to the interwebs.

Your rate dictates the speed at which your connection is able to communicate with the server. It needs to reflect your internet connection speed. I'm sure you can find more information if you look around on the Google.

From what I remember, I think 4000-5000 is dialup while 10000-15000 is cable/DSL. 250000 is probably too high unless you have a direct brain connection to the interwebs.

:monkbomb:

Ok, will try the /rate above 10000 I have a 3meg dsl line so thats no problem that I can see. What should I se my /snaps at? Suggestions help give a guidline... Thanks much.

Ill play it some before I decide whether I like it.

May the force be with you... you will need it (insert evil laughter).

Doesn't it also stress out your laggy servers? ;ppppp

I'm pretty sure that the server has a setting limiting the max rate that it communicates at as well.

Man, I totally used to have a link to a guide on this. maybe try googling "tweak guide for jedi knight academy"?

Archived