Home

Mass Effect for PC!!

Uilleand

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got it yesterday and it refuses to install. Gets stuck on something called Saferun.exe and Saferun.dll and then aborts.

Annoying.

I had the same problem. There are a couple of threads about it on the bioware forums. They said to copy the contents of the DVD onto your hard drive and run setup from there. I did that, disabled Daemon tools and ran as administrator (Vista) and it worked. Not sure if I just got lucky though.

Really, though, I'm beginning to think it isn't worth it at all. I already have too many doubts about the game as it is.
Rest all doubts, Mass Effect is a wonderful game. It was worth me buying two Xbox 360s and HDTV to play. Mass Effect has a really good story, great concept and is fun to play. Some of the side mission to different planets can get a little annoying, but it is the best overall game I have ever played. Typical BioWare game some of the NPC lack the depth seen in games like TSL, but IMO they are deeper than KOTOR. I’d compare it to Jade Empire only less structured and a better overall concept. Of the games I played recently I’d rank them as followed: (in case this give you some reference where I am coming from.)

1. Mass Effect

2. BioShock

3. Oblivion (tie)

3. GTA IV (tie)

4. Assassin’s Creed

I would also rank Mass Effect as my favorite RPG to date. Sure there may be better stories, but as to complete package Mass Effect wins hands down.

Typical BioWare game some of the NPC lack the depth seen in games like TSL...

That's what I'm afraid of. :p

...but IMO they are deeper than KOTOR.

Well, that's a good sign. Eh...maybe I'll get it...when the price goes down. :p (Yes, I'm really cheap.)

Source

If you've been having some problems installing Mass Effect then Owen Borstad, one of BioWare's programmers, has a work-around for you.

You will need:

1) access to the contents of the data directory (either off CD, download, temp files, etc)

2) WinRar or 7zip or any tool that can extract .rar files.

Steps:

1) Create a folder on your system somewhere. Default for the installer is "C:\Program Files\Mass Effect\" or a games folder.

2) Open each .rar file in the utility chosen (WinRar for e.g.)

3) Extract each .rar file into this folder. If you are using an English build, you won't need to extract any .rar file that has a different language code (_es, _fr, _de, _it, etc)

4) After extracting all files, your folder should look like this:

...\Mass Effect\Binaries\

...\Mass Effect\BioGame\

...\Mass Effect\data\

...\Mass Effect\docs\

...\Mass Effect\Engine\

...\Mass Effect\MassEffectLauncher.exe

5) Run the MassEffectLauncher.exe and quit immediately.

6) Run the "Mass Effect _code.exe" from the data folder. Enter your CD Key, click next, it will exit out.

7) Run the Launcher again, hit "Config". under the "Repair" tab, you can re-create your shortcuts if running XP. If running Vista, I'm sorry, you can't add the game to the Game Explorer in these instructions.

9) Quit back to the launcher.

10) Play! (everything should work nicely now)

Is there a way to enable AA?

I tried playing without it, but I just can't stand the jaggy edges.

You can force "Transparency SuperSampling AA" in the control panel to remove some of the jaggies if you have an Nvidia card (it comes with a heavy performance hit, so setting this to more than 2x is not recommended). For ATI cards, adoptive AA might work, but I'm not sure. Anyway, this is the only known method of getting AA to work in Unreal3 engine based games.

Pfeh. I can't even get past the prologue in this game!!! On the CASUAL level!!! I always end up dying somehwere near the cargo train station or trying to find the explosives.

Yes, I am the worst gamer you ever saw. Please help!!!

Pfeh. I can't even get past the prologue in this game!!! On the CASUAL level!!! I always end up dying somehwere near the cargo train station or trying to find the explosives.

Yes, I am the worst gamer you ever saw. Please help!!!

You have to use cover and take your time. If you're using default controls, when you Right-click, you'll aim but expose yourself a bit.

Just take cover, aim, squeeze of a few rounds, then release your aim. Wait for the Geth to fire a bit then repeat. Also, many enemies use Biotic Powers or Rocket launchers. If you see something bright or with a trail coming at you, make sure you're covered. The game will tell you that if you try to take cover behind a low object, you'll automatically crouch. I find that sometimes you don't. Make sure if you try to take cover behind a low object, you are crouched. (Default Ctrl, I believe. If the top of the object is above your head, then you're fine. If not, you need to crouch.)

Take down the biggest threat first, if possible. The biggest threat isn't always the toughest enemy, either. Sometimes it's the enemy that has the best shot at you. Make sure your cover isn't exposed.

For the explosives, don't rush! They give you plenty of time to disarm them. Just do what you did on the train and you'll be fine. You have to move at a steady pace, but make sure the area around each explosive is clear before disarming it. If nothing is firing at you, you're clear, in this instance.

Hope that helps!

After playing it for awhile, I came to the shocking conclusion that I don't like the game! :fist:

The default Shepard looks like a super-model and not a tough warhero, and there's no way to make a good looking custom Shepard. I also hate the friggin jaggies! Come one Bioware, was is it so hard to include a AA option!? And they still haven't released the DLC!

I never thought I would be saying this, but Mass Effect is just a lame RPG IMO! :(

The fact that there is no AA is not Bioware fault. You should be blaiming Epic and their Unreal Engine 3 for that one.

The game isn't bad... it's just not very good. It's more shooter then rpg and i really expected alot more depth from Bioware. But all the convo's seem shallow. And besides the main storyline is absurtly short.....

I'd give it a 7/10 because of the nice graphics, good voice acting, decent gameplay and fun plot (which is as said before far too short).

In the end i feel slighty ripped off. If your going to make a trilogy don't give the individual games a main plot of 10 hours......:xp:

Yeah, I also feel ripped off, I might have exaggerated it a bit. But Mass Effect is just not my game. Like you said, there is pretty much no story depth and the conversations are very shallow.

Btw, there are several UT3 engine based game which have AA as an option ;)

Well actually Unreal Tournament 3 doesn't have an AA option. But yeah maybe other UE3 games i haven't heard off. But even the games Epic made themselves don't include the option, so i don't think you should blame Bioware. If anything blame them for claiming to have perfected roleplaying while the game is imho far inferior to KoToR. Did they suddenly lower their standards or something? :confused:

Got the PC version of Mass Effect today. As usual with a new game it's a bit overwhelming to get into a new game system at the beginning.

Anyone got advice about which profession is most beginner friendly, allowing you to learn the game without too much frustration? :)

Ok allow me to explain where i'm coming from.

You can't chat with your crewmembers while your out of your ship which annoyed me. And even the convo's you have on-board are short and shallow. There's like what... 4-5 unique talks you can have?

The menu's really annoy me. With KoToR you could switch between all the menu's with a press of a key on the keyboard, with mass effect it's more of a hassle (have to go back first).

The main story is actually fairly good but too short. I finished it in 9 hours while KoToR took me 20+. Mainly because there's nothing you have to do. Take the mission where you rescue Liara. You fly to the planet, drive the mako for 5 mins and enter a mine which you clear in 5 mins and your done with the entire world. In KoToR you had to explore all the world and actually put some effort into finding the start maps. And you had lot's of side quests which were fun and easy to acces.

So as far as i'm concerned 9 hours is really short. If Mass Effect was promoted as a shooter i'd be fine with it (hmm multiplayer) but this is an rpg we are talking about.... come on people.

Which brings me to the Side quests of Mass Effect. O my dear god....... Fly to planet X and kill everything in generic building A/B. Erm, some variation? Ok here you go: grind 40 different minerals... WHAT?!

(sorry for comparing it to KoToR, but KoToR is just such a good game :xp:)

Overal i'd still recommend people to play it, but not until the price comes down abit. Right now the game is somewhat of a ripp-off. This is obviously only the opinion of one idiot so i do encourage you to make up your own mind after you play it and feel free argue with me if you think it's the best game ever. (i'd love to know why)

Pro tip: If you think the game is too easy, don't play on easy ^^

And haven't tested it on PC yet, but i really think this game is better suited for xbox then PC. Some games are just better at console, and some are better at PC

(sorry for comparing it to KoToR, but KoToR is just such a good game :xp: )
No need to apologize, friend. This is a KotOR forum after all. :p
Overal i'd still recommend people to play it, but not until the price comes down abit. Right now the game is somewhat of a ripp-off. This is obviously only the opinion of one idiot so i do encourage you to make up your own mind after you play it and feel free argue with me if you think it's the best game ever. (i'd love to know why)
Sound advice which I, for one, will definitely follow, given that you're certainly not the only one that has voiced these types of complaints about ME. Be prepared for mimartin's spirited rebuttal, though. He thinks that ME is the second coming of software. :xp:

Got the PC version of Mass Effect today. As usual with a new game it's a bit overwhelming to get into a new game system at the beginning.

Anyone got advice about which profession is most beginner friendly, allowing you to learn the game without too much frustration? :)

Soldier seem like the natural choice for beginners (they're really tough), but I went with Vanguard, because I wanted access to biotics. I haven't really tried any of the other classes, so I can't really be of much help here. Based on what I've red, Vanguard seems like the most balanced class, so I picked that one for my first playthrough, and so far I don't regret it.

I finished it in 9 hours while KoToR took me 20+

I'm sorry, but what? It took me more than 9 hours to get off the Citadel. You were just rushing through the game. I like to take it slow, and so far I'm loving the game. I'm not in love with it as much as I was with KOTOR when I played it for the first time, but it's pretty damn close.

Obviously it's a matter of taste, though. You can't really be very objective when reviewing something. Your review will always be influenced by personal feelings and opinions, so I always take reviews with a grain of salt. Try it out for yourself and see, I say.

After playing it for awhile, I came to the shocking conclusion that I don't like the game!

The default Shepard looks like a super-model and not a tough warhero, and there's no way to make a good looking custom Shepard. I also hate the friggin jaggies! Come one Bioware, was is it so hard to include a AA option!? And they still haven't released the DLC!

I never thought I would be saying this, but Mass Effect is just a lame RPG IMO!

So, you think it's a lame RPG because the graphic are not like you would like them to be? I'm sorry, but I think that's lame. I understand that this game is not everyone's cup of tea (no game is), but you really need to find a better reason than that to call it "lame", IMO.

And for the record, it is possible to get AA working if you've got an Nvidia card (not sure about ATI)... read my post on the top of this page. In fact, I'm playing it with AA enabled, and it looks great (for some strange reason the Multisampling TR AA also works for me, instead of just TR Supersampling AA).

there are several UT3 engine based game which have AA as an option

Whic are those? No really, I would like to know. As far as I know, they all require you to force AA in the control panel, and it doesn't always work. Same deal with ME.

The AA enabling option only works with a GeForce 8 series or above, and seeing that my shiny new GeForce 9800GTX Black Edition is still boxed and not running in my new rig which I am currently building, means that I have no way to enable AA with my dated GeForce 7800GS AGP card. :xp:

Archived