Home

Second expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2 (Storm of Zehir)

Pavlos

Source

Titles we plan to release during the next fiscal year of 2008-2009: [blah, blah] NeverWinter Night 2 Expansion Pack2 PC [blah, blah]

The fact that they can't get the name of their own game right doesn't exactly fill me with confidence :p.

It's unclear as to whether or not good ol' Obs are developing this one but we do have this from over on the Codex:

Well I guess the proverbial cat is out of the bag now.

How in the world is anything supposed to stay sekrit on the intart00b.

Let's hope it's more along the lines of MotB than the OC, eh?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooooh, absolutely delightful news! Here's to a totally over-the-top level 30-50 campaign following MotB. (And perhaps a proper Epic spell system to go with it?)

Bah, they'll probably just go the way BioWare did with SoU and make it something completely new. But here is to the level cap being raised again in any case. (At least 40 like in NWN would be very nice.)

But I would rather have a sequel

Don't get your hopes up. With how large a selling point modding has been for the series Obsidian isn't likely to uproot the community after giving it only a yearish to settle in with the current game. I'd predict if we'll ever see a NWN3 it'll be in three or four years (or shortly after the release of 4E at the absolute earliest).

This is taken from a loading screen in MotB, they did the same thing with OC, they mention Rashemen in a loading screen

"Evan as far north as Rashemen, sailors whisper of distant Chult, a land of steaming jungles, deadly disease, and massive reptilian monsters. Local peoples cling to coastal regions, mounting occasional expeditions into the deep jungle... and living in fear of serpents who can take the shape of men."

So next stop Chult ? ^^

This is taken from a loading screen in MotB, they did the same thing with OC, they mention Rashemen in a loading screen

"Evan as far north as Rashemen, sailors whisper of distant Chult, a land of steaming jungles, deadly disease, and massive reptilian monsters. Local peoples cling to coastal regions, mounting occasional expeditions into the deep jungle... and living in fear of serpents who can take the shape of men."

So next stop Chult ? ^^

Wow, the biblical references are just....just....

so lame.

I really don't understand all the complains about that you attack then need to wait, are you not using the rest of your party members ? Of course you need to wait if you just watching your own characther, its the same in Kotor. But you have a hole party. If you controll evryone in a battle you don't need to wait. I think i have to short time in some of the larger battle to micro my party ^^

Im currently tired of mmos... atleast until Chronicles of the Spellborn come out... any good mods for this game?

Does the wait between actions get any better? Or is it always attack wait reattack wait attack again...?

It's only like that at low levels. Once you get a higher BAB you get more attacks per round, and the animation speeds up.

I really don't understand all the complains about that you attack then need to wait, are you not using the rest of your party members ? Of course you need to wait if you just watching your own characther, its the same in Kotor. But you have a hole party. If you controll evryone in a battle you don't need to wait. I think i have to short time in some of the larger battle to micro my party ^^

Youre both right and wrong. There is a wait in the other games, but its not noticeable. In NWN2 there is a discernible wait between actions in battle... but if it goes away as I level up then Im fine.

Now if we could just make the characters not-ugly, the game would be great.

I just bout MotB today, and I love the way the genasi look! Really great. If they keep up the nice looking characters in their second xpack, I might forgive them the fugly characters in the original. >.>

• 3 months later...

Source

According to a news post on a <Romantic Language Here> site, Neverwinteros, The Sword Coast seems set to make a return in Obsidian's next installment of the Neverwinter Nights 2 saga. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir will plunge the player into an epic and truly heroic world of... economic manipulation.

The news apparently comes straight from the horse's mouth, Atari Europe having issued this release to all European Community representatives. Confirmation comes from Obsidian's Anthony Davis; who declared it as "realz".

In the aftermath of the defeat of the King of Shadows, the Sword Coast is in the midst of an uneasy economic recovery. Trade syndicates have sprung up to exploit the post-war confusion for their own ends. The players’ party will wade into this uncertain environment; in order to increase their own fortunes, they can either ally with a syndicate to create a trade empire, or cut their own path through Faerûn by preying upon caravans and selling the goods on the black market. As they attempt to extend their influence, players will become aware of a new faction working behind the scenes: the evil, shapeshifting, serpentine Yuan-Ti."

Obsidian seems to be taking Neverwinter Nights 2 in a very different direction from both the one started on in the original game and the one found in Mask of the Betrayer. I can't say that's a bad thing, to be honest, it suggests that they're not afraid to take the series in new directions, nor are they above experimenting with fresh ideas.

For the second time with their handling of the NWN licence, Obsidian have pleasantly surprised me. Once again I have read a press-release that doesn't involve the word 'epic'. Though not much is clear at this time, the plot seems more centred on intrigue than it does fighting Ancient Evil; refreshing, I tells ya!

Something about the word "streamlined" causes horror to lock her icy arms around my chest, though.

Update: Anothny Davis has said that while he's not yet able to talk specifics on this project, "I will say this about the game, the very first time I saw the new over land map stuff, it FELT like a completely different game than NWN2 and NX1, in a good way."

^^Is it just me, or does this trade warz from hell scenario apear to be rather grey? Heres to hoping it turns out that way.

Pavlos: Combat is NWN2's weakest link, if the streamlining is aimed at making it more entertaining I have nothing agains it.

Who is this Zehir anyway?:p

The Bioware boards seem to agree that the KC's story is done (sigh, no saving the smexy Bishop?), so looks like we'll be starting from scratch. Economic adventure, hrm. I'm not exactly fond of managing my finances in RPGs (save obsessively gathering and selling things until I realise that I don't actually *buy* anything besides ammo), but I have faith in Obsidian:)

Sounds interesting to try as a multiplayer game though.

To be honest, if I see economic stimulation, I can find it in real-life economies, or if I want simulation I have my trusty Sim City. A Sim City mmo would be interesting to say the least, though I have no real desire to do so in the Faerun setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Source

ActionTrip and Strategy Informer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun are sporting new interviews with Obsidian Entertainment's Kevin Saunders, Lead Designer on MotB and a Producer (according to ActionTrip) on SoZ.

For those who are wondering, Tony Evans is the lead on SoZ; he designed both Mulsantir and the Slumbering Coven in MotB. Seeing as how the latter of those two areas is some of the most fun I've had in a game for a long time (the Infernal Contract dream sequence was awesome), I have hope that even if the plot is not the main focus, it will still be both enjoyable and well-thought-out.

Another benefit from the Overland Map has been our D&D rules implementation. We’ve never been thrilled with the role Skills have played in Neverwinter Nights games. They are not as well integrated into the gameplay as we would have liked. On the Overland Map, skills like Spot, Survival, and Listen could all be given gameplay effects that would be fun and interesting, clear to the player, and more faithful to their D&D implementation.

At least their plans for improving gameplay seem well planned, even if I'm not overly pleased that the plot is not the focal point. The sheer concentration of the word Fallout brings a smile to my withered heart, at any rate. Although I may have to add it to my list of buzzwords should they continue to use it...

Edit: Damn you, Lantzen! :xp:

(the Infernal Contract dream sequence was awesome)

While the dialogue for it was all very well-written (the PC's actually differs in style from the rest of the game if you look closely), it wasn't a terribly open-ended sequence. All you had to do was click through all the options (reading them wasn't necessary) and you'd come across the solution to Faras' dilemma.

Granted, as I said, the dialogue and premise of that side quest was all very well-done. It was just rather lacking in player choice, but thankfully there looks to be an emphasis on that here.

we do have some major 4th Edition story tie-ins.

4th ed butchered all that was good about the Forgotten Realms when they destroyed everything east of the Sword Coast (who needs original settings like Thay and Rashemen when you can have an overused medieval sword-and-sorcery one?) so that doesn't sound good. Hmm, maybe they'll kill off Elminster or Drizzt...? I can dream, can't I? I'd so love to see them dead. Serves them right, intruding in BG2 like they did.

We would love to create a 4th Edition D&D game

Go to hell. One of them anyways. >:|

Bah, I never wanted a NWN3 in the first place.

Source

ComputerAndVideoGames.com (what a long name...) has posted an interview with the lead designer of Neverwinter Nights 2's latest expansion pack, Storm of Zehir, along with some random screenshots from Neverwinter Nights for reasons which, I'm sure, were clear to the site's editor if not to me. [They've fixed their goof]

Some good stuff in there along with confirmation of the level range (3 - 15) that SoZ will be covering.

We focus on giving players maximum reactivity based on how they play and how they customise their party. No longer will you put points in a skill like Survival and then not be able to tell what effect it has in the game.

As players explore Samarach and the Sword Coast and interact with its many fascinating characters, the player will reap the benefits, and drawbacks, of their choices.

Choices having a negative effect on the progression of a character? :hug:

Sounds interesting. I really liked MOTB's story but there are two things that really annoyed me in that game and I am not quite sure if I will want to go through another expansion:

1. The horrible camera (I thought I'd get a tendinitis from trying to keep the camera in place with the mouse).

2. The influence system. The idea is good but I really dislike how it has been implemented. I found it extremely annoying and "immersion breaking" to have to go through the same dialog options over and over in order to maybe get a different answer that will reveal a bit more about the story and the characters. I didn't liked that in KotOR 2 but I felt that it was just worse in MoTB (perhaps because it was more "dialog heavy").

Archived