Home

EA Denies Rumors of KotOR3 in the works

tk102

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many people allready stated, it is very unlikely that they DONT make KotOR3, just check around this forum and the dozen´s of people still modding and playing both parts even years after it was puplished. And then go and check how many BAD movies and games have received sequels over the last time. I honestly doubt that in our modern "GIVE MORE MONEY!" world they would pass on a chance to make some extra _guaranteed_ money.

I mean even if they make a bad KotOR3 they would still make enough money to get the invested money back since the large fanbase wouldnt hesitate to buy it no matter if the media says its not good.

And if they manage to create a real kickass K3 they would have all the previous fan´s + alot of new gamers and would get even more money.

Iam quite confident actually that they will come up with one sooner or later, its unlikely to come out this year since the force unleashed is on its way and i think LA woulndt bring to many good games at the same time. But i wouldnt be surprised to have K3 announced at the end of 2008.

And as somone allready pointed out it says "that such products are not necessarily under development at this time"

So basically they neither DENY that they have K3 or sth alike under development nor that they WILL NOT make one in the future, the only thing they state is that the lastest "K3 announced" news are incorrect.

And i rather wait another 2 years and get a really nice K3 than to get one like TSL again which was undoubtfully good but was just not compareable with K1, good games need their time and we can only hope that _when_ not _if_ K3 comes they took their time to make sth really awesome and not just a boring remake with some new features.

^I guess so.

It seems like we will never get KotOR III. I don't see why they wouldn't because I know that the game would make them a lot of money. After all that is all businesses are looking at, profit. We all wish that LA will make KotOR III. Unfortunatly, it seems like it will never come out.

I think we all knew (deep down) it wouldn't happen, as I've always said if they were to make another they would have followed up sooner, strike while the irons hot so to speak, i respect a lot of you say there have been many years between other game series releases but there's one thing we are all forgetting, kotor is an ongoing story line and ongoing story lines don't have inconsistent gaps between them, the powers that be probably don't think a kotor 3 is viable $$$$$$$ :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

^I guess so.

It seems like we will never get KotOR III. I don't see why they wouldn't because I know that the game would make them a lot of money. After all that is all businesses are looking at, profit. We all wish that LA will make KotOR III. Unfortunatly, it seems like it will never come out.

My thoughts exactly. The only reason I can think of for maybe putting thte game off until later is because KOTOR has a pretty loyal following and maybe they figure we'll wait, where as with other games, fans wont. But thats a weak theory at best.*sigh* Still because of the success of the first two I doubt they have abandoned it entirely.

I see no reason why it should be a problem that some years passed since the release of TSL, i mean hello last Rambo came out like how many years ago?, same goes for other movies and games.

And i think there is a reason why for example the KotOR Comic series is set BEFORE the happenings of KotOR. The series itself is another point why i think a K3 is likely to come sooner or later, the comic series is a good way to keep old fans of this era on track and to get new people interested in this era of star wars.

Or like Vader would say: I find your lack of faith disturbing!

@sayoko: Quite true. While in my opinion, the sooner they can start it the better, if they were to finally make it 15 years from now I'd still be happy and go buy it. Oh were breakin out the star wars quotes out now are we? :D Well how can I argue with the dark lord of the sith?

If anything, the KOTOR fanbase is growing and other than my somewhat lame theory (previous post of mine) I for the life of me cant see why they wouldnt make it. As far as I know Obsidian expressed their intrest in doing the next KOTOR so its not like no one wants to make it. Obviously there is another problem that I am not aware of.

@sayoko: Quite true. While in my opinion, the sooner they can start it the better, if they were to finally make it 15 years from now I'd still be happy and go buy it. Oh were breakin out the star wars quotes out now are we? :D Well how can I argue with the dark lord of the sith?

If anything, the KOTOR fanbase is growing and other than my somewhat lame theory (previous post of mine) I for the life of me cant see why they wouldnt make it. As far as I know Obsidian expressed their intrest in doing the next KOTOR so its not like no one wants to make it. Obviously there is another problem that I am not aware of.

They are probably trying to make us more frustrated with all these rumors. I have a lot of gaming conspiracy theories. If we get frustrated with news of Kotor appearing everywhere we subconsciously want to stay around and see if there is one or not.

They are probably trying to make us more frustrated with all these rumors. I have a lot of gaming conspiracy theories. If we get frustrated with news of Kotor appearing everywhere we subconsciously want to stay around and see if there is one or not.

I disagree with that. I've been lurking here for a while and I am getting fed up with all these rumors. It seems that every day I log on to see new rumors and the next day, someone squashing them. We get so excited because someone slipped something they weren't suppose to say, and then they come back and say: "We didn't mean that!". Its stupid, pointless, and a waste of time. Sorry for the negativity. Lmao.

Well i guess one of reason why K3 is not coming this year or announced yet might be MASS EFFECT, iam aware that bioware is not neccessarily connected with LA and that its part of EA but since ME is supposed to have 2 Sequels that are 100% confirmed to come its prolly not a good idea to deliver a K3 now.

From my impression ME has quite some similaritys with KotOR you can really see its from Bioware and its the same genre as KotOR, so basically if they bring out K3 now they risk that they split the customers between those games while people who loved ME and the KotOR fans would prolly both go and buy K3 if it comes after the 3 ME parts.

From my pov. there are alot of reasons to not bring K3 this year or mby not even next year but there are plenty of reasons to bring it in the future.

Actually i think its better to have it in 1-2 years than to have it announced now with 2 parts of ME still in work, imho not even a good developer like Bioware can throw out so many titles at the same time and still guarantee a good game.

No, i was right with not buying ME for my 360 since i was kinda sure all the "blabla will never come for pc" was just to get as many customers as possible for the 360 but ofc they didnt pass on the chance to get the PC community aswell for ME and since its KotOR like i will give it a chance.

I guess some KotOR modders are curious to see whats possible with ME aswell, and when ME1-3 is done Bioware comes and says "KK folks! our testrun for KotOR (ME1-3) is finished now and was successful so here comes K3" :p

But Mass Effect is more action/shooter oriëntated. I see no reason why a Kotor couldn't be released next to it.

Sorry, but Republic Commando (next to Rainbow Six and every other tactical shooter), Empire at War (in between the Total War and Command and Conquer series) got released as well?

Tagging something with a Star Wars label...automatically makes another game then tagging it with 'Sci-fi' or any other label.

Also, I think there's a lack of RPG's like kotor nowadays. Despite JE and the Kotor games sold good, ME as well, why aren't there any other type of games like this?

Well my personal evil oppinion why there are so few rpg games nowdays is that its alot easier to make a storyless acitionshooter with some nice gfx.

A good rpg requires a nice story alot of gamedepth and afaik more content than some straight forward shooter. Its one of the things i miss alot lately i bought halo3 and it was awesome the story was okay the gfx nice but its done in a few hours and the MP is just like that of any other shooter. There are to many games that have content for 15hours only and are just cool for one playthrough because the only thing they have are nice gfx.

You are correct so ME isnt exactly like KotOR but its not so different from it + its from the company most people expect to make a K3, i dont think that Bioware wants to risk bringing out a mediocre K3 just because they are busy with several other games at the same time.

But well atm the only big SW game on the horizon is TFU, i really wonder why LA is not making some sequels for games like KotOR, RC, JK and a new simulation of the X-wing/Tie series, i see so many people on different boards asking for sequels to those games i just cant understand why LA didnt allready announce sequels to at least some of them:-/

I personally believe that there will be no "KotOR 3", and that the internet gossip is all psychological. If you have happened to noticed, the 30th Anniversary celebration for novels, comic-books, and games was flatline. If I had a franchise that was 30 years old, and had a large fanbase, I would do some spatacular things. When it comes to the "Knights of the Old Republic" game series, I personally believe that "KotOR II" was endgame. LucasFilms and LucasArts are too busy making stuff for other media and movies. Yes, there are a few tv-shows arriving for Star Wars, but most of their efforts are on Indy. "Force Unleashed" is getting most of the Star Wars gamming attention.

"KotOR III" is a myth.

@TheSource, you have a point there i was kinda wondering aswell how unspecial the 30th anniversy stuff was, i mean there were a few new novels and they republished a few of the older books.

I was kinda expecting at least some announcements of future games, mby a big preview on the TV series etc but as you said it was kinda flatline.

But from my pov i just cant understand why they are not working on their old franchises, i mean there is not only the KotOR series many fans would love to be continued, we also have the JK series, Battlefront and sth alot of people have been asking and making petitions for X-wing/Tie-Fighter.

Yet LA as basically only released Empire at War in the last time? TFU is in work sure, and the Bioware+LA MMO is most likely going to be SW aswell but apart from that there arent many new SW games on the Horizon even tho i think there was some Intervie with LA about them "having not forgot about our old franchises" and "planning to have around 2 games each year".

Well aslong as they dont make an official statement that the KotOR series is finsihed ill keep my hopes up.

@TheSource, you have a point there i was kinda wondering aswell how unspecial the 30th anniversy stuff was, i mean there were a few new novels and they republished a few of the older books.

I was kinda expecting at least some announcements of future games, mby a big preview on the TV series etc but as you said it was kinda flatline.

But from my pov i just cant understand why they are not working on their old franchises, i mean there is not only the KotOR series many fans would love to be continued, we also have the JK series, Battlefront and sth alot of people have been asking and making petitions for X-wing/Tie-Fighter.

Yet LA as basically only released Empire at War in the last time? TFU is in work sure, and the Bioware+LA MMO is most likely going to be SW aswell but apart from that there arent many new SW games on the Horizon even tho i think there was some Intervie with LA about them "having not forgot about our old franchises" and "planning to have around 2 games each year".

Well aslong as they dont make an official statement that the KotOR series is finsihed ill keep my hopes up.

If you think about how imporant a 30th anniversary would be, I personally believe that last year would have been the time to make big announcements. When I walked into 'Barns & Noble', 'Borders', and 'Toy-R-Us', I was expecing a massive display with new novels, collectibles, or something. Instead, we got a small amount of this and a small amount of that. Most of the figures released were just repackaged from previous series. When it comes to the games, I don't think anything special was released in 2007. Yeah, we have the announced "Force Unleashed", but that is pretty much the big news. If LucasArts was going to make an announcement for "KotOR III", they would have done so during their anniversary.

"KotOR III is a myth!"

@The Source

Yeah well as i said its a good point i was kinda unimpressed by the 30th anniversy aswell, iam from germany and the only thing i noticed was that some english novels are about to get translated and some older books like shadow´s of the empire got republished since they were sold out for some time.

What iam really looking forward to tho is the animated comic serious that was announced for august i just hope i get a chance to see the episodes and the movie. I wouldnt be to happy if i had to wait month to see sth of it here in oversea.

But well my hopes are up there are plenty of rumours whats goin on atm not only with KotOR but other sw games, i for my part cannot imagine that GL suddenly stoped to extend the galaxy. Mby they are indeed just letting us wait so that we are totally starving and storm the markets when they release a new sw game:-).

Could be possible that we will see some sweet announcements when the anmiated and live series are announced to hype it even more.

Archived