Home

EA Denies Rumors of KotOR3 in the works

tk102

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am discouraged that there hasn't been a Kotor 3 made. I loved the first two games and have wanted a third one for a long time like everyone else. I don't understand why LA has not made this game with the first two being so successful. It seems to me that the fan interest in this game is still strong as well.

I went to a Gamestop the other day and the guy there told me Kotor 3 was in the works, he heard that in some video game conference or something. I was excited until I came to the forums and found nothing mentioned here at all about this. Guess he was misinformed.

Well. Jim Ward had recently stepped down as LusacArts President (he was the company's leader since 2004) wich gives us all a great hope that the new president will make better decisions, in example starting the development of Kotor 3

Well this gives me some new hope at least. He was president from 2004-2008 huh? Those are all the years we've been waiting for kotor three to be announced. Maybe this new guy will do things right. KOTOR3: A New Hope - just like the movies.

Lucas Arts on development of K3: Crushing your hopes and dreams since 2004! :xp:

@psand: exactly. Its not like the kotor fanbase is dying. If anything it keeps getting bigger. Thie first two made loads of money, probly more than whatever they are developing now. (incidently I dont know what they are developing at the momont so correct me if I am wrong here). Next time u go to game stop, you should ask that guy what conference this was. It is most probably a rumor with no real proof but it could not hurt to check. ;)

@Ctrl_Alt_Del: that picture says it all. Almost fell out of my seat from laughing when I saw it :lol:

More "great" news:

The result looked nearly as realistic as the dialogue scenes in Mass Effect, the recent sci-fi game from BioWare, developer of the celebrated Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series. Ironically, The Force Unleashed almost was a third KOTOR game. Though Blackman never mentioned the forthcoming BioWare/LucasArts mystery project, he did say that during the conceptual stage, he and his team had considered setting their next project in the KOTOR universe. They had also considered making a smuggling game centered around a Han Solo-like character and even an action game with a Wookie protagonist.

Gamespot.com

Full article here -> click

Looks like we'll be getting bad Kotor3 news every week now. Christ!

Thread for that news already exists here

EDIT: sorry then

I see no reason why it should be a problem that some years passed since the release of TSL, i mean hello last Rambo came out like how many years ago?, same goes for other movies and games.

And i think there is a reason why for example the KotOR Comic series is set BEFORE the happenings of KotOR. The series itself is another point why i think a K3 is likely to come sooner or later, the comic series is a good way to keep old fans of this era on track and to get new people interested in this era of star wars.

Or like Vader would say: I find your lack of faith disturbing!

Personally I don't know if they will make a kotor 3, but Rambo is a bad example. Like Rocky, the Rambo movies ran their course in the 80s. They stopped making sequels cause intrest was low and some 20 years later Stallone and some production company figured they could possibly hit gold one last time (I don't think either movie did too well, not sure though)

I'd much rather Bioware do a Kotor III than Obsidian, after all they Kotor 2 just used the kotor 1 engine and added a few things (granted I thought the additions were great). If they can use the dialog format from Mass Effect that would be great.

well here is something that pisses me off: they all know we want a 3rd game and they know that the first 2 games made them alot of money, so why in the hell wouldnt they make one, if they did they would be doing both us and themselves a favor. so they should ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"

I think with 360, and PS3 finally out, Lucasarts/film etc scrapped K3 and went for a whole new game with TFU, a sequel to 2 old gen games probably isn't the best showcase for 3 new technologies and the 30th anniversary, plus, with Lucas' involvement, and his current "between III-IV love affair" KotOR had no chance.

maybe the MMO will be Old Republic based, if its even Star Wars...

LukeDavis93 wrote:

"What would Jesus do?"

Add the 'walk over water' power to the new Kotor game :xp: ...although adding the diciple (or 12 of them) for cameo's is possible too :)

Without the humor, you are absolutely right. There is no reason NOT to make it. It has proven to make money (one of LA's key points) and even popular enough to spawn it's own comic series and action figures.

they all know we want a 3rd game and they know that the first 2 games made them alot of money, so why in the hell wouldnt they make one, if they did they would be doing both us and themselves a favor. so they should ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"

You're right. Jesus would turn a quick buck in a heartbeat. :indif:

:confused:

so why wouldnt they make one, if they did they would be doing both us and themselves a favor. so they should ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"

Jesus would probably tell us to get off our tushies and away from the computer screen, quit worrying about if there'll be a Kotor 3 or not, and tell us to go do some good in the world for people less fortunate than us.

Jesus would probably tell us to get off our tushies and away from the computer screen, quit worrying about if there'll be a Kotor 3 or not, and tell us to go do some good in the world for people less fortunate than us.
Ooh snap. :p

Good point, though.

Feature this boys and girls, in hollywood, when a production company wants to buy up a property, usually a book, there's prolly gonna be some competition. So some studios try to sweeten the pot with non-financial favors, things that no one else will give.

Producer A says that he'll give you a cool million to sell and help script your book

Producer B says that he'll give you an uncool 100K, and he'll make "your book" the one that never made the NYT best-seller list, your baby.

If your agent can wrangle B up to 500, how could you say no? As I understand it, the same sci/fi author who penned the KOTOR games also wrote Mass Effect. Look it up gang.

In the opinion of this humble young man a deal was cut, three KOTORs for at least one ME. Both games got stymied with the conversion to next gen, and prehaps unfortunately for us, ME was a hit. With the man behind both games already commited to another 2 ME's, can we really expect another KOTOR?

Obviously, the guy has to be a big SW fan, but with ME he's #1. He get's to create his own world, albeit a strikingly similar world to SW. But, it's his. . .seems pretty hard to put the next two installments of your pet project on the back burner to work on someone else's.

I would wager that LA wants this game as much as we do, they just want the right people on board. Hopefully, it's just a matter of finding them or haggling on a price to lay off ME and oversee our pet project.

Obviously, the guy has to be a big SW fan, but with ME he's #1. He get's to create his own world, albeit a strikingly similar world to SW. But, it's his. . .seems pretty hard to put the next two installments of your pet project on the back burner to work on someone else's.

Yeah I'd wager that ME was more his pet than KotOR. He may like SW, but the constraints on writing and having LA look through the script, and say, "You can't have them there. We have another plan for that." It would keep his hands tied.

• 2 weeks later...

Many peeps call me Jezus :p

I say I demand K3 !

:lol:

No offense to people who deeply believe in Jesus and God.

I find it a great complement. After all he setup a call to care for each other no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think they're stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the development of KotOR3.

I believe they are very hesitant to follow the same path as the first two because, let's face it, that D-10, turn based gameplay isn't as current, flashy or lucrative as these newer, next-gen, graphically superior games that are starting to infest the market, no matter how much some of us love to play them.

I don't think Bioware would mind one bit taking KotOR to the next level. However, LucasArts will have to push that button and they could care less.

LA is content to sit back and observe the success of Force Unleashed and a few others before makng any type of decision on the future of KotOR.

...and why wouldn't they?

My question is this:

Would anyone here be opposed to the upgrading of KotOR?

What I mean is, would anyone here feel as strong about it if they were to change the format?

I know I would. But that's just me. Someone asked me if I thought a KotOR game, set like MassEffect, would be better.

After I helped him up, I told him NO! They shouldn't change a thing.

But, now I'm not as sure as I once was. Times are a changin' and KotOR 3, if created, must also evolve.

The chances of KotOR 3 being exactly like 1 and 2 are very slim.

One thing's for sure though. We won't hear a peep about it until well after the stain of Force Unleashed has set in.

I believe they are very hesitant to follow the same path as the first two because' date=' let's face it, that D-10, turn based gameplay...[/quote']

Isn't it 20? :p

I don't think Bioware would mind one bit taking KotOR to the next level.

They've said more than once that they're not interested.

My question is this:

Would anyone here be opposed to the upgrading of KotOR?

What I mean is, would anyone here feel as strong about it if they were to change the format?

Not me.

Its a shame quality doesnt matter to LA, they seem to want to release updated click and kill games just to get as many ''i love star wars fanbois'' on board. Dont get me wrong, im a fanboi but im not ognna play crap games bacause they are star wars. Bring back the quality, bring back kotor!!!

Archived