Home

EA Denies Rumors of KotOR3 in the works

tk102

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesus would probably tell us to get off our tushies and away from the computer screen, quit worrying about if there'll be a Kotor 3 or not, and tell us to go do some good in the world for people less fortunate than us.

Very true...

But, now I'm not as sure as I once was. Times are a changin' and KotOR 3, if created, must also evolve.

The chances of KotOR 3 being exactly like 1 and 2 are very slim.

One thing's for sure though. We won't hear a peep about it until well after the stain of Force Unleashed has set in.

I must say that I agree with you Cygnus. Video game technology is just getting better every day; will most likely continue to get more advanced...

But, now I'm not as sure as I once was. Times are a changin' and KotOR 3, if created, must also evolve.

Oh, the graphics are, with 100% of assurance, bound to be upgraded.

About the system, I'm not as sure. IMO, d20 is an aging system that has no place on modern RPGs. While that doesn't mean that the false-real-time shouldn't be implemented, a better system would be welcome.

I would hope that they stick with the D20 system, just for continuity's sake - after all, over half of the people who would buy KOTOR3 would be people who have played the first two - so the system would be familiar - it could alienate too many fans if they implemented too many changes.

It's not the best system in the world (digitally or on paper) but those of who know it like it. That said, it does allow for a great degree of customisation - none of my characters have ever been the same.

Although, I do agree that it could 'streamlined' a bit, but I would like it to stick with D20, just to complete the 'trilogy'.

Personally, I think they're stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the development of KotOR3.

I believe they are very hesitant to follow the same path as the first two because, let's face it, that D-10, turn based gameplay isn't as current, flashy or lucrative as these newer, next-gen, graphically superior games that are starting to infest the market, no matter how much some of us love to play them.

I don't think Bioware would mind one bit taking KotOR to the next level. However, LucasArts will have to push that button and they could care less.

LA is content to sit back and observe the success of Force Unleashed and a few others before makng any type of decision on the future of KotOR.

...and why wouldn't they?

My question is this:

Would anyone here be opposed to the upgrading of KotOR?

What I mean is, would anyone here feel as strong about it if they were to change the format?

I know I would. But that's just me. Someone asked me if I thought a KotOR game, set like MassEffect, would be better.

After I helped him up, I told him NO! They shouldn't change a thing.

One thing's for sure though. We won't hear a peep about it until well after the stain of Force Unleashed has set in.

I'd be cool with it as long as it's ot a hack n' slash game

Taak Farst wrote:

Apart from canonising-type stuff, I don't believe KOTOR should be changed at all. The way it plays and the way it looks is what makes it KOTOR. If we made a next-gen K3 we might as well merge force unleashed with KOTOR.

I think TKA-001 is right here. And, to be honest, I think you're mixing up two different things. :)

First, gameplay is the way the game feels. It's controls and it's mechanics. For example, Mass Effect has the SAME Gameplay as Kotor and Neverwinter Nights.

But graphics, or 'Next gen' is a way to describe how pretty it looks. For example, Kotor looks way better then Neverwinter Nights, but has the SAME gameplay.

And we got a perfect example of how Mass Effect looks like. So just imagine the LOOKS of Mass Effect on your favorite kotor. Not the other way around. The Force Unleashed has nothing to do with this all, since it's an action/hack and slash game. So when people say they want a 'NEXT GEN kotor' they mean the graphics.

Or course Baldurs Gate is a nice game, but if they'd release it NOW, under the name 'neverwinter nights 3' everyone would laugh. Same would happen wit a Kotor 3 that runs on the old engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived