Home

[tsl] KOTOR: Revenge of Revan

logan23

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today i will discuss a feature called Holonet News.

You can see it in action by viewing the video update.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H5IMI0R4

You Tube:

Great idea. I think I'll make a new outfit for the newscaster though (looked like she was wearing Czerka, edit: sorry, she's wearing a Peragus miner's armour).

I wonder, could we make a small news set module for her, and use a camera point of view? It would look like when you have to view another room using a video surveillance camera. Or does that only work with looking at another room in the same module, rather than a separate one?

Is the GUI going to be red like that on release?

@ Dak Drexl:

The GUI is gold, not red. ;)

It looks a little too orange IMHO, and maybe it is too similar to the red target reticule that comes up to highlight enemies. Perhaps if it was a little more yellow than it is now, it might work a bit better?

Myself, I think that a cool colour (blues, greens, some purples) would work well, rather than a warm colour (reds, yellows, oranges).

Looks great, but I noticed that all the planets played the same messages.

Just a thought, could the illegal channel for the smugglers have someone else give the news??? Fallout 3 had the regular news radio and then they had Three Dog. It could be someone who is biased or who creates conspiracy theories.

Hey everyone!

I'm glad everyone liked the video update.

Great idea. I think I'll make a new outfit for the newscaster though (looked like she was wearing Czerka, edit: sorry, she's wearing a Peragus miner's armour).

You are correct the NPC is wearing the miner's outfit. That would be great to have a clothing skin for the news caster.

Looks great, but I noticed that all the planets played the same messages.

All the content for the news is not finished. here should be 2 news articles per planet which are planetary related, meaning you can only hear about them on that planet. The idea is as you progress through the game there will be new news articles to simulate the dynamic events that are constantly unfolding in the daily life of that planet.

Just a thought, could the illegal channel for the smugglers have someone else give the news??? Fallout 3 had the regular news radio and then they had Three Dog. It could be someone who is biased or who creates conspiracy theories.

There will be a few different news casters throughout the game but they will all be aliens so that the VOs will be easier to control and allowing a large amount of content verse if done with human voices. On your ship with the smuggling channel there will also be the ability to get messages that will either be in holograms or in computer text. This will serve as a hub to take on side quests which allows the player to a proactive role in activating certain side quests. This will also remove some of the constant running to one planet to the next just to have a small conversation with the NPC. This will allow you to keep in contact with multiple NPCs that could be reaching out to you from a planet which might not be playable, this again increases the feeling that the galaxy is larger then just the number of planets you visit during the game. Back to your question there will be some interesting characters but the number all depends on how much content I can get into the game which comes down to myself and my team build these large amount of content.

I wonder, could we make a small news set module for her, and use a camera point of view? It would look like when you have to view another room using a video surveillance camera. Or does that only work with looking at another room in the same module, rather than a separate one?

Well I know if you made a news room model you could add it to an existing module using the lyt file (tested and works)

This is a cool idea but I'm afraid of any bugs it might produce. In the future this might change for certain scenes maybe. If this is done I will probably film the news recording in the news caster module and then create a bink movie to play when you clicked that news articles. I can see this being used if there is a recording from security cameras which are being used to show some information or location on a planet where you might want to break into which would part of a side quest NPC quest briefing.

If all goes well I might have some more goodies this weekend for you all:thmbup1:

MORE TO COME.........

Logan

I actually prefer the idea of having a seperate, AI-style 'databank' approach (helped by the attractive Twi'Lek of course... :xp: ). it seems more 'futurish', like something SW galaxy citizens would actually use. I also think it's a really fantastic idea overall, a simple but really effective way of getting a wider context on the story. one thing i've always felt the SW Universe lacked was stories from a citizens point of view - snapshots of galactic life as opposed to bein thrown into the middle of it all the time. granted this still happens here, but its nice to get that insight nonetheless.

oh my god i've never posted in this thread before o.O keep up the fantastic work dudes :thumbsup:

hello 0.0 I am new to this site well new to have registered and i hada few questions about this mod. one will it be open only for the pc version or to xbox as well i got a 360 and it runs on the 360 both kotor do. next do you know a time frame when will this be done any idea? you see soon i plan on inlisting to the navy or airfoce I am a senior in highschool and love the kotor series =). in there want to learn to develop code a rare attribute we as Americans have (s a fact we have few of us who can do it most are foreign.) and want to know by like 2 to 3 yrs if this is still going could i get job or just help on free time if i am allowed? this is a great project I beleive and there are other task I want to do but this is one of the first i have discovered and can't wait for it to finish. I have not bought the new star wars mmorpg because I have heard that it is not like hte old one it is online crap I don't wanna play it that way I love it the old way so until further noitce of them changing that I will not buy it probaly to me that is a disapointment. please get back to me and email me at <snipped> and I am sry if ave offened anyone. thank you for your time

It could be someone who is biased or who creates conspiracy theories.

I love this idea. "Conspiracy theories" are fascinating in and of themselves, so to see a broadcaster like that in game would be amazing..especially one who, if you do whatever quest is offered by them, happened to be right, or opened up a deeper can of worms.

Hey all,

I've been playing the KotoR games for a few years now, and I stumbled upon all of this while downloading TRC mod.

I'm an English Lit guy, and if you need any help, I would be happy to proof-read/edit dialogue for spelling or grammatical errors.

I realize you may not be interested with some new guy just popping his head in like this, but if you have the need, I have the eyes.

At any rate, keep up the work! I look forward to playing your mod!

hello again i am also intrested in helping but i want to know what i can do im trying to get into programming im learning Object Oriented stuff now. What systems will this mod only the pc version or xbox as well? dont get me wrong i am no expert in this and i am new to all of this but i want to know if ishould go right into microsoft visual c + + or finish the stuff im non now and then go to it? any answers will be greatly welcomed

ty

Hey everyone!

There are some cool ideas mentioned concerning the Holonet news.

I've been playing the KotoR games for a few years now, and I stumbled upon all of this while downloading TRC mod.

I'm an English Lit guy, and if you need any help, I would be happy to proof-read/edit dialogue for spelling or grammatical errors.

I realize you may not be interested with some new guy just popping his head in like this, but if you have the need, I have the eyes.

At any rate, keep up the work! I look forward to playing your mod!

@Angry Moogle

Thanks for the offer, but right now we are looking for writers which will be proof reading the dialogue.

If your interested in writing and creating dialogue, let me know. We are still adding writers to the team.

hello again i am also intrested in helping but i want to know what i can do im trying to get into programming im learning Object Oriented stuff now. What systems will this mod only the pc version or xbox as well? dont get me wrong i am no expert in this and i am new to all of this but i want to know if ishould go right into microsoft visual c + + or finish the stuff im non now and then go to it? any answers will be greatly welcomed

@Darth_Sasuna

The mod will be for the PC.

Have you ever programmed for Kotor1 or kotor2 script?

Would you like to? Let me know if your interested.

The Lightsaber creation system/progression video is coming this weekend or monday. I was thrown off due to being sick and then darn Bioware had to release Dragon age Awakening,lol. I'm done with Awakening so back to the feature:thmbup1:

I will tell you the video will show the PC going in and building a lightsaber and also changing the progression tree. I will narrate the video giving info about the system. There will also be a short Blog on the building of this system and why things where done the way they were plus how it got there from the original version 1.0. The Version in the video is Version 2.5.

I look forward to releasing the video and the information on the feature.

Keep the questions and feedback coming.

MORE TO COME....

Logan

This is a Quick Update to somthing in RoR which im Working on. Nothing Big

I cant say a lot but lets just say there will be new *Special Stims* That you can Get Created For you. By Giving up a Certain Item and a quest to go with it.

If Logan wants to post more on this he will :D

thanks for the offer logan on the programming but i know like little very little i have never done it before but have seen code c++ code mainly wold like to yes lol belive me but i had best keep this to the experts im still gradating this year. right now i am learning about oop and that thing then i wil go int o c++ and stuff in fact i plan to start on that this week through cbt direct but i dont have the requirement to do coding on my pc like RAM space and stuff that is why i am making one btw when will this be out any idea?

sry about my spelling errors now that i rethink it what would i be doing exactly like said i cannot code yet and im in 12th grade with me graduation project going on though it is coming to a close soon. like i said i hope to be getting into c ++ by thursday. I still need to buy kotor 2 for and d1 for pc then idk when i can thogh i got no job so little money and my dad wont do it for me lol. but what could i be doing? and like i sadi befre when is the release of this mod? do you know?

btw howi change my timezone it is 730 when sent last meesage usa easterntime

btw howi change my timezone it is 730 when sent last meesage usa easterntime

Up at the top of the page, click the small link that says "User cp".

When that page comes up, look for the link on the left that says "Edit options", and there will be date and time settings there for you to set.

Hope that helps.

yea it does ty

i played kotor on my xbox 360 so i have no past playing on my computer s and i heard what i played like gender wise and dark side or lightside wise in the other games effects this game as in revan and exiles gender. and characters u can get can anyone send me these effects of like if im a male what choice i have if u can send all options male light and dark and female light and dark and what options i get and what if i have no past experince of the other kotor games does that inhibit any of my options? because that would be more money i would have to spend in playing the other games if it does, not to mention anytime anyone swtiched computers and loss their data on the game.

i have antoher question also but i cant remmber it more of a statemnt that i thought would be of great importance to overlook ill get back to you on it.

Hey everyone!

I know you have been waiting for this update for awhile and now its here.

The Lightsaber creations system/Progressive system

Here is the Modcast link for download and youtube:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z5MW5MHY

The youtube was just added so the image of the video will get better once its done processing the video

I will not just go into how the system works but I will also touch on how it will be implemented into the mod which will allow the game to be balanced.

During the game there will be points where you will find damaged lightsaber hilts which will come from enemies who use a saber or found hidden within the game. This will allow me to control the number of lightsabers you can build and keep your items list from being clogged.

Once you have a damaged saber hilt you can then go to the workbench and select to create a new lightsaber. You will then create a general blue color lightsaber from the damaged hilt piece.

After you are done with this the workbench screen will ask you to choose a progression style. Each style will also have its own lightsaber hilt name. The player will have a few styles to select from which are based on lightsaber fighting forms like Makashi and Shii-Cho. Once you choose the style you will then choose the color of the crystal you will use to make this Style/Form Crystal. You will only be able to have one blue Makashi style crystal since if you have 2 and you go to change styles it will destroy all with the blue Makashi style tag. You can have a green, yellow and blue Makashi style crystals just not 2 of the same color for that style.

You then can go in and upgrade your basic lightsaber with the new color/style crystal which will then change the hilt and add the bonuses to the saber. Each style will have its own personality and bonuses which reflect that type of fighting style. Many of these saber styles will add bonuses to areas which other upgrades don’t.

As you progress in your PC’s levels you will be able to go back and update the style crystal to the next level. I plan to have the style crystals increase levels every three levels the PC gains.

You will be able to jump from one style to another by simply removing the crystal from the saber and then go into the workbench and select that style crystal which gives you choices in the styles you can change them to. If you do not like the style then simply change it back there are not penalties. This system is meant to be user friendly and bug free.

Going back to the selection of crystals colors;

Revenge of Revan will be doing something different because of the way the lightsaber creation operates. In the game you will start off with the option of blue, yellow and green for the colors of your style crystals. In the game you will find out that a friend of Kaila has just stolen some crystals which they thought were very expensive but instead they ended up stealing a shipment of crystals which are used by the Jedi for their lightsabers. Kaila will strike a deal and the stolen blue, green, and yellow lightsaber crystals will be sent to your ship the Raptor. During you adventure you can pay for this smuggler to hand over other lightsaber crystal colors or you can try to find stashes of these during your adventure which might include buying from merchants. Once you have the new crystal color then you will be able to use that crystal color in creating your new style crystal. When changing styles the crystal will transfer to that same color. Later in the game there will be an option to transfer then to different color crystals.

Balancing the System with existing upgrades for your lightsaber:

To balance the system so you don’t end up with over powered lightsabers I have decided that the two extra crystal upgrades will be items which are hard to find and will sometimes be involved with side quests and other side missions. There might be a few that can be bought but I plan to keep many of them as rare. This means while conducting a side quest you might want to look around since you might only get one shot to get the crystal without paying. More details on these upgrade crystals will come later as we balance the game. As for the Lenses, Cells, and Emitters; they are 90-95 percent crafted items. This will give a player a purpose to do some crafting for their sabers. I will be looking over the present crafting system in the game to see if the itemcreate.2da needs to be tweak for these three lightsaber upgrades.

I have not disclosed the double sided lightsaber but I have an idea how it will work.

There will be not building of short sabers since there are few skins and in most cases players rather use two lightsabers verse a short saber with the other lightsaber.

The number of how many lightsaber styles there will be is still not decided but you will come across more styles by unlocking them from holocrons, party members, or even some NPCs.

I would like to say thanks to DarthParametric and Trigger for allowing me to use their amazing saber hilts for the demo video/modcast and also to allow me to use some of their saber hilt for the Revenge of Revan Mod.

If you have any feedback or questions feel free to ask in this thread.

i played kotor on my xbox 360 so i have no past playing on my computer s and i heard what i played like gender wise and dark side or lightside wise in the other games effects this game as in revan and exiles gender. and characters u can get can anyone send me these effects of like if im a male what choice i have if u can send all options male light and dark and female light and dark and what options i get and what if i have no past experince of the other kotor games does that inhibit any of my options? because that would be more money i would have to spend in playing the other games if it does, not to mention anytime anyone swtiched computers and loss their data on the game.

To answer your question, no you will not need a game file from kotor2. You be able to make choices that match your game play in kotor1 and kotor2 which will then allow you to see the results of some of your choices in Revenge of Revan.

Thanks everyone!

MORE TO COME........

Logan

Archived