Home

Motherboard help!

Ghost Down

For motherboards I would go with the GIGABYTE P35-DS3L as it's generally agreed upon to be the best non-SLI option out there right now.

Is there any reason you're going to get 4 gigs of DDR3 memory? 4 gigs is pretty excessive right now, even for Vista and DDR3 is definitely far too excessive at this point in time, especially when DDR2 performs just as well with the current hardware. DDR3 will become the standard option a year or two down the line, but as it is, it's not very cost effective to get it now as nothing really requires it.

Totally agree with Niner here, DDR3 is a waste of money right now, I've you've got money to burn, but yourself a nicer monitor or a better graphics card, but DDR3 shouldn't even be considered.

DDR2 800Mhz or the faster 1066Mhz is dirt cheap atm, and 4Gb of that, even in Vista, will be more than plenty to keep you going mate.

Don't overdo it on the CPU either, if you go Intel, there's no reason to get anything other than the Q6600 G0 stepping, as it is not only one of the cheapest Quads out there, it can also overclock to a performance as good as 3.2Ghz, which would cost you about 4 times that price if you bought a CPU with that stock speed ;)

For the motherboard, I agree with Niner again, the Intel P35 chipset is a solid choice for price/performance these days.

Ah, the old future-proofing argument. For now, you'd be better off just getting a 2GB (4GB if you reaaaaaaaaaally have to have it) kit of DDR2 RAM. See my new hardware megathread for good recommendations on that.[/shameless plug] By the time DDR3 is the new standard, it will have gone down in price to the point where you could get it for the same price you can get DDR2 now, as opposed to paying $250+ presently.

yep, you're better off waiting on the RAM front Ghost. with an x4 CPU and the 8800GT, theyres plenty of fun to be had even with DDR2.

Im assuming youre planning on a 64bit OS, as 4GB is otherwise even more pointless.

I use Vista 64bit with 4GB, and outside of the video editing apps I use didnt see my system taxed with 2 or 3GB with games n such.

mtfbwya

Run a game while you watch a movie.

one of which must be uninteresting to do so properly :D

I used to do this with a secondary touchscreen LCD monitor, mainly for half-watchin sports while I was surfin. But if you are the ones who pays the electricity bill, the folly of this eventually dawns upon you :p

mtfbwya

Archived