Home

Haden Blackman on TFU, PS3 and other things @ GDC '08

Negative Sun

Click here for a very interesting read.

This is my favorite bit:

The result looked nearly as realistic as the dialogue scenes in Mass Effect, the recent sci-fi game from BioWare, developer of the celebrated Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series. Ironically, The Force Unleashed almost was a third KOTOR game. Though Blackman never mentioned the forthcoming BioWare/LucasArts mystery project, he did say that during the conceptual stage, he and his team had considered setting their next project in the KOTOR universe.

Awesomeness :)

Very nice find!

It would be a logic choice as well. The story of Kotor is/was heading towards a full scale war. And playing Revan with the engine and possibilities of The Force Unleashed would certainly be EPIC :D

The RPG series could then start in a new era.

Anyways, you have proven with this that even the newest Star Wars game was somehow connected with the Kotor series. :)

You shouldnt be to surprised by that prime, if you look at it from the perspective of the devlopers and publisher´s its like this:

Creating a game for the console allows you to use top GFX without risking to lose the customers that do not have a high end PC (which is the majority anyone could play crysis at 100%?)

Creating a game for the console is easier since you do know the exact hardware every customer will have and wont get surprised by bugs that prevent the game from running on certain PC specs.

A console game can be sold for like 15-30€ more, in europe the top PS3 games cost around 70€ and the top Xbox games 60€ while PC games usually sell for 40€.

It isnt as easy to pirate Console games, while everyone can download pirated pc games and run them it isnt that easy for the console i havnt tried it myself yet but it requires more than just dling + installing sth.

Consoles reach a bigger Community while you will not find to many 10-15y/o kids with proper gaming PC´s (unless they have rich parents, sth you cannot count on) you will find alot more at this age who do own a console.

Thats just my oppinion why more and more developers focus on consoles.

And on the KotOR era, well imho the KotOR era would be the best Star Wars era for a MMO that involves proper story connected content and still allows the dev´s to do allmost anything they want without interferring with the Star Wars continuity.

It kind of makes sense. The KOTOR era allows probably the most freedom for games story-wise.

But the talk of their new development styles seems to leave out the PC...

I think it's just because they talked about the teams dealing with the PS3 and 360 in particular, we all know there's other version of TFU coming as well, but done by different studios, so obviously Blackman couldn't comment about their progress and ability with their dev kits.

I guess the TFU story was supposed to be more EPIC, thats probably why they decided against KotOR and rather took sth that will be more familiar to the normal people who aren´t as much into star wars as most guys on these forums.

I just hope they soon announce what all this Bioware/LA secretiveness is about, i hate it to wait for several month hoping that its a SW game or a SW mmo just so they then tell us "ow well its sth totally different: World of Spongebob - the infamous sponge".

Archived