Home

Who was the most powerful sith lord ever?

Darth Pvl

Who was the most powerful sith lord ever?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most powerful sith lord ever?

• Darth Revan
    • Darth Bane
    • Exar Kun
    • Darth Sidious
    • Darth Vader

Everyone knows that Palps is the greatest. He engineered the greatest conspiracy of all time, hiding it for years while walking among the Jedi and even hiding it from his own students. He played with entire systems like pawns on a chess board, only unlike the other Lords on the list, he was playing both sides of the board. He also defeated numerous opponents in combat including Yoda and Mace Windu, the greatest duelist of the time, using trickery in the latter case. He had engineered the perfect plan in RotJ right up until it backfired at the end. He was only defeated eventually by the Chosen One, who was already destined to defeat him anyway. That's not a very bad record at all. (Then again, he was also defeated by Ewoks, but who saw that coming?) Besides, the EU exaggerates everything so that you will buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to all of the answers:

SIDEOUS: He was cunning but Kreia (Traya) also orchestrated a near perfect betrayal that would propel her to leadership similar to Sideous'. Yes even though Sideous succeeded, I think Traya was more powerful. After all, she knew that a true sith rules the galaxy by consuming it in the dark side, not just controlling it all and being evil.

REVAN: Yes, I admit I am a Revan fan boy, but Revan 1: Turned back to the light side to defeat the ancient sith empire, 2: was powerful, genius, and strategic, but was never in any complete control of any large portion of the galaxy for a time, and 3: Became a sith to protect the republic from the ancient sith empire, not to gain power or any other would be goals of the sith. Also, he was trained by Traya, who I mentioned above as being more powerful.

TYRANUS: Tyranus was wise, yes, but what he did could be acomplished by anyone with political knowledge. Plus, he was always an apprentice, never a master.

NIHILUS: I can see how he would be up there. He consumed people just by being near them and wiped out Kataar. But then again, He was relatively easy to beat in Kotor 2 (for me) and was decieved by Traya rather foolishly. He was also never in any huge position of power... at all really.

MY ANSWER: I think Naga Sadow, Ajunta Pall, or Tulak Horde (did I spell that wrong?) would be the most powerful. Remember, Kreia says "If you faced one of the ancient sith in a duel, you would learn that we are like children with toys compared to the prowess of the old masters". Naga Sadow lead the ancient sith empire to control the galaxy and possessed tremendous force powers. Ajunta Pall was known for having intense force power, and Tulak Horde was known for being the best lightsaber dualist of all sith.

So, in final conclusion, I would rank the sith as:

1: Naga Sadow

2: Ajunta Pall

3: Tulak Horde

4: Traya

5: Sideous

6: Revan

Man my fingers are cramping.

Hmm...I'm surprised Traya hasn't cropped up. She was more deceitful and betraying than Sidious, in my opinion. In terms of Sith morals, it'd be her over sidious. In terms of wisdom, it would be revan over tyranus, and in terms of lightsaber combat...Malak. Or maybe Darth Vader. that's a toss-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah so those pesky midi-chlorians are back to wreak some more havoc. There are large numbers of Star Wars fans who like to pretend that they were never introduced. But since they are canon, my response to the Plagueis comment would be this: 1. He was stupid enough to let his guard down (but so did Sideous) and 2. We (or at least I) really don't know enough about him to comment. Proficiency in the force is really only half the battle.

then what is the other half of the battle? The force is what gives the Sith thier power. Their anger, hatred, and greed determine how they use that power. To be the most powerful Sith, they need to be so skilled that they can do as they please. Darth PLagueis was the most skilled Sith ever known. There might be someone who could do more then he, but they kept themselves hidden, and obviously broke "The Rule Of Two"

I am basically going by assumptions about Darth Plagueis. The world will be so much better once the Plagueis book comes out in 2012. Can't wait to know his story.

The other half of the battle (maybe even more than half) is a combination of intelligence, charisma, boldness, and skill with a lightsaber. I think we can agree, until that book comes out, that Sidious far outranks his mentor in all of these categories.

What about Darth Bane, he had the 'intelligence' to know that any more than 2 Sith at one time would cause a civil war within the Sith empire, he had the 'skill with a lightsaber' to destroy the Brotherhood of Darkness and to have the focus of the Sith moving forward to a Sith Ruled Galaxy, he had the 'boldness' to destroy all known sith up to that point. In one swift motion, he destroyed everything the Sith had, so he could create it as he say as right. Besides his obvious skill with the force, and his legacy that still lives on through any cannon to date, through the "Rule of Two".

Before i go too far, how about Darth Talon, wow. I'm switching my vote.

What about Darth Bane, he had the 'intelligence' to know that any more than 2 Sith at one time would cause a civil war within the Sith empire, he had the 'skill with a lightsaber' to destroy the Brotherhood of Darkness and to have the focus of the Sith moving forward to a Sith Ruled Galaxy, he had the 'boldness' to destroy all known sith up to that point. In one swift motion, he destroyed everything the Sith had, so he could create it as he say as right. Besides his obvious skill with the force, and his legacy that still lives on through any cannon to date, through the "Rule of Two".

Before i go too far, how about Darth Talon, wow. I'm switching my vote.

Darth Bane pales in intelligence compared to Darth Revan.

A) He didn't think of the thought bomb, he learned it from Revan's Sith Holocron.

B) I am directly quoting Darth Revan's holocron avatar talking to Bane: "That is why each Master must have only one student.", saying that Bane did not make up the Rule of Two. (So about SmootheOperator's comment that 'he (Bane) had the 'intelligence' to know that any more than 2 Sith at one time would cause a civil war within the Sith empire', actually, Revan was the first to think of this, not Bane.)

So, if I was able to vote, my vote would go to Revan. If Revan was not available, I would then vote for Traya because of her master of the force.

ha ha ha, i really should get all my thoughts together before i post something, but what about Darth Plagueis being a Muun? Muuns ran the Banking Clan, and were known for their attention to detail, and their manipulation of the universe around them mostly through finances. What better way to manipulate others thean through their wallets? The controlled the finances of the entire galaxy, plus other smaller galaxies. There has to be something to be said about a Sith that already comes from a species that already has the entire universe by the short hairs.

• 4 months later...

Sideous, Want Proof Okay.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Palpatine#Powers_and_abilities

Darth Sidious was the most powerful Dark Lord of the Sith in the history of the Sith Order—something he himself firmly believed and he was the only Sith Lord in a thousand years to achieve the ultimate goal of the Sith: to eradicate the Jedi Order and bring the galaxy under the rule of the Sith.

He may have "eradicated" the Jedi order (only for a short time, until Luke rebuilt it), he did so only because he was the emperor of the known galaxy. Without the vast army of the republic, he would not have been able to get close. If we are talking about a Sith Lord on his own, palpatine cannot hold a lightsaber to Darth Plagueis. "He could manipulate the midi-chlorians themselves, to create . . . life" He never told anyone this secret, and took it to his grave. No one since has been able to do that, not even palpatine. I am still backing my entire weight behind Plagueis, and i am a big guy

If we are talking about a Sith Lord on his own, palpatine cannot hold a lightsaber to Darth Plagueis.

"Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself." It would be even more ironic if Palps actually used a lightsaber.

Sidious was so good in combat that only four individuals have ever matched him. He fought Yoda to a draw that Yoda chose to retreat from. He defeated Mace Windu (sometimes claimed as the greatest swordsman of all time) and Galen Marek using trickery. His only true loss was to Luke Skywalker after his resurrection in the EU (I don't accept his resurrection and I'm not sure that Lucas does either because I think it ruins the whole idea of the "Chosen One" bringing balance to the Force. But he did also defeat Luke in another duel).

Either way I think that based on the limited information I have, Emperor Palpatine is easily the best duelist (not swordsman) ever.

the entire idea of Luke being the "Chosen One" and balance within the force is ridiculous. There was only peace in the galaxy for a short time, the Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy shortly afterward, and there will continue to be a period of peace while the Sith reorganize and regroup, or some other army prepares, and the galaxy will be at war and oppressed once again. In my little view of the world, "the chosen one" is bull.

This is kind of me going in blind again, but Sidius had to learn light saber combat from someone, Plagueis was his teacher, i think it is safe to assume that Plagueis taught him how to wield a light saber skillfully.

You are not basing your estimation of Plagueis' abilities on anything that we see or hear in any canon information. We have several examples where we see Palpatine's mastery in combat first-hand, in Revenge of the Sith and Dark Empire and it is absurd to lable the idea of Palpatine surpassing his master as impossible. Furthermore, Plagueis' ability to create life has never in fact been proven, and its usefulness is debatable (unlike Palpatine's clone resurrection plan, for example). And what reason do we have to believe that everything Palpatine knows was taught to him? He spent many years researching various Force-wielding Orders.

Also, it is unfair for you to downplay Palpatine's destruction of the Jedi Order simply on the basis of the fact that he required control over the Republic and its army to do it. I challenge you to name a Sith Lord who ever has or ever could have destroyed the Jedi Order without the use of an army. It is simply impossible.

Well by "Chosen One" I mean Anakin Skywalker. I guess I'm a purist. When people talk about Sidious's clone resurrection I stick my thumbs in my ears and hum to myself. In the words of Lucas himself, "The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..." Obviously he's just expressing his personal feelings here.

For the sake of argument, though, we can accept the EU in this discussion. Heck, most of the Sith lords in this poll would be off-limits if we only went by what Lucas says, and this is the EU forum. So just disregard my whole "Chosen One" rant.

Also according to Lucas, Darth Vader is in fact more powerful than Darth Sidious. I would be willing to accept that at face value if his track record weren't so weak. You can have all kinds of ability, but if you don't use it, it doesn't count. That's one reason why I wouldn't consider Plagueis to be the greatest.

P.S. Since we're talking about Vader, have you heard the theory that Plagueis created the virgin birth of Anakin Skywalker? There's absolutely no proof, of course. I personally think it's ridiculous.

Well by "Chosen One" I mean Anakin Skywalker. I guess I'm a purist. When people talk about Sidious's clone resurrection I stick my thumbs in my ears and hum to myself. In the words of Lucas himself, "The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..." Obviously he's just expressing his personal feelings here.

Also according to Lucas, Darth Vader is in fact more powerful than Darth Sidious. I would be willing to accept that at face value if his track record weren't so weak. You can have all kinds of ability, but if you don't use it, it doesn't count. That's one reason why I wouldn't consider Plagueis to be the greatest.

P.S. Since we're talking about Vader, have you heard the theory that Plagueis created the virgin birth of Anakin Skywalker? There's absolutely no proof, of course. I personally think it's ridiculous.

The idea of palpatine cloning the body, and when one dies, he moves his "soul" into another body is rediculous, i completely agree with Klw and i laugh at the person who brings it up as fact. I also laugh at the person who tells me Luke was seduced by the darkside, by palpatine, after the movie saga was finished.

If we are going to the full extent of the expanded universe, Galen Marek defeated both Vader (in both games) and Palpatine (in the first).

You are not basing your estimation of Plagueis' abilities on anything that we see or hear in any canon information. We have several examples where we see Palpatine's mastery in combat first-hand, in Revenge of the Sith and Dark Empire and it is absurd to lable the idea of Palpatine surpassing his master as impossible. Furthermore, Plagueis' ability to create life has never in fact been proven, and its usefulness is debatable (unlike Palpatine's clone resurrection plan, for example). And what reason do we have to believe that everything Palpatine knows was taught to him? He spent many years researching various Force-wielding Orders.

Also, it is unfair for you to downplay Palpatine's destruction of the Jedi Order simply on the basis of the fact that he required control over the Republic and its army to do it. I challenge you to name a Sith Lord who ever has or ever could have destroyed the Jedi Order without the use of an army. It is simply impossible.

you cannot say that the apprentice (palpatine) didn't learn things from the master (plagueis). are Anakin's lightsaber skills comparable to Obi Wan's? Of course! Are Dooku's lightsaber dueling skills comparable to Yoda? Definately!!! To say Palpatine did not learn lightsaber skills from plagueis is absurd. Darth Bane's apprentice Zannah and her new apprentice Cognus, used Bane's Sith Order to destroy the Jedi Order, using only Sith, not a civilian/conscript army. i therefore put darth bane's legacy ahead of palpatine in the accomplishments category.

Darth Sidious, easy. He commanded the most power of all Sith, the entire Empire, which was at its widest at the time of Episode III. He had an essentially limitless army of clones, which was further augmented by recruitment, of course. A planet-destroying space station, some of the most immense ships in galactic history and he got close to building _another_ planet-destroying space station, an even bigger one, at that.

By comparison, Vader was by and large a lackey. Bane and Kun never really got round to commanding that much power, and Revan, while close, wasn't too successful as a Sith.

Archived