Home

yet another dismemberment thread

Iron Herald

Hi, first post.

Lemme say first of all that I love the dismemberment in OJP, so that explosions blow people up as well as lightsabers, but one thing I have found lacking, after being a hardcore Forcemod 3 player, is blood. I think Forcemod three style blood effects with a rocket gib would look rediculously fantastic, but I can't get any of the effects to work with OJP. Is this a technical issue or has nobody bothered to implement it?

Second thing: OJP needs a grappling hook.

no ifs ands or buts.

They do miracles for gunner classes who want to latch somewhere without having any platforms to stand on.

Otherwise, it's beautiful, I'm still learning the "art" of saber combat, with my tutor being the Cultist. I picked him because he always pwns other bots in a fair fight.

It should be possible to add blood, just gotta change some textures and such.

As for grapple, if we do one I do not want JA+ style grapple, it'll ruin the gameply quite a bit methinks. But thats if we do.

IMO, blood isn't really a Star Wars thing. All Star Wars weapons coterize wounds and prevent blood splurts.

As for the grapple, I totally agree. Quake style grapples are the equivilent of a slow, magical, line-of-sight transporter. I'd be ok with a grapple if it had realistic physics, but that would be so hard to program.

ah, when adding mods to a load-up mod, put the PK3 in that mod's folder.

for example, to make a mod compatible with OJP, put the pk3 in the c\program files\lucasarts\star wars:jedi knight:jedi academy\ gamedata\ojpenhanced folder

as for blood, I know the whole cauterization thing, but what if you're using a swords mod? or blowing someone up? Remember in the New hope, in the Canteen when Obi-wan slashes that alien's arm off, theres a pool of blood on the floor, so it doesn't completely stop the blood. But I've seen a lot of mods where swords have different wall mark, or flesh mark effects than the sabers. maybe OJP could use something like that.

or at least use the "Blood sparks" thing, so it could look like a quickly desintigrating mist, something to make the dismemberment not remind me sadly of a blown up lego person. I think that would go well.

as a sidenote, is it even possible, using the Quake 3 engine, to make a multi-segmented grapple line? or would that just kill it? Forcemod three has worse grapple effects than JA+, because the hook just looks like a black line that comes out of your bellybutton somewhere, but it's still a handy tool.

Lol, blood isn't that star warsy at all. First episodes made really different feel of SW (4,5,6) while new ones (1,2,3) had no blood but were much more 'realistic'. And 'bout that grapple hook... people would spam it like hell, making the game look retarded and not SW at all. Everyone would ninja themselves with backstabs. Perfect ideas can be simply ruined by the community. :(

YOu could sdet the grapple so it moves slow, that way it can't be used for laming, and blood sparks, BLOOD SPARKS! Star wars blood discussion commencing.

The old movies (4 5 6) were more true to Lucas's view of his universe because that's what he came up with in the beginning. The new movies, although having better effects, were more targeted to have a wider audience so they toned down the blood so parents wouldn't have any qualms about letting their kids watch it. The first movies were considered "violent" in their day remember.

Besides, I don't think some effects would really destroy the feeling of the game just because it's a SW game. Blown up lego people=small sad feeling.

Well, all of current blood packs are ****. Well if someone would make blood in JA like in Q3... there was awesome gibing in Q3 :) Really bloody mess.

By the way, slowing down use of grapple hook won't help. Now Imagine whole team spamming it; hilariously stupid and retarded. Imagine Je(w)di spamming grapple hook. Well, if u would use it only ONCE and buy it as SKILL, that would rock.

back ot origional point, I just think the dismemberment should be enhanced somehow, where it's blood, sparks, or even just smoke trails coming from each of the severed parts, something to make it look like you actually lopped someones arm off and that it didn't just pop off by accident.

back to the grapple hook: of course it should be buyable like the rest of the skills, none of that cmd crap, but maybe to prevent spamming it would have one ammo and take a long time to reload after using, enough time to make it's frequent use ineffectual. flamthro

what is everyone's opinions of my dismemberment ideas, I get that making a worthwhile grapple is probably too time consuming, but what about the "Gore" effects? Imagine fragging someone with an RPG and watching all the parts fly off in opposite directions with long smoke trails drifting behind them. That would be awsome. No blood either.

replying via cellphone! yeah I agree with sanjuro too on the gib thing. its just not that important right now. I would hiwever like to see a grappling hook, just not a JA+ like one ;) I think it would be plenty balanced if it is as slow as it is in the movies (since your 100 percent valnerable in the air) and theres a recharge time.

Archived