Home

Great game?

DeadYorick

I personally wouldn't put it on the same level as Day of The Tentacle, Monkey Island, Indy Jones: FOA, etc. and it goes without saying that it's not as good as Grim Fandango (b/c nothing even comes close to being that great).

But if you can find it at a good price, it's a worthwhile game...

In my opinion, The Dig's plot is excellent (still not close to Grim Fandango), but it played out very much like a sci-fi movie might. If you're considering it, you'd probably enjoy it, and if you can find it for a decent price that you're willing to pay, I'd go for it.

Be aware, the Dig is very different from other LucasArts adventure games in that it takes itself seriously, no silliness or a lot of humor.

As for greatness, well there are few games that can give you a sense of awe, and the Dig gave that to me, especially when playing it at a young age.

• 1 month later...

The Dig is special. It has some "I don't know what it is, but I want more" kind of thing.

The music is like no score you've heard. Probably the best music in any sci-fi game EVER.

It's full of things that could be better, but still is special, and even if you hate it, it was worth your money and your time.

• 2 months later...

Great game! Only issue I have is that a few puzzles didn't make logical sense and wouldn't have discovered w/out help. Many involved using items you can't ID, but know what they do. The tomb puzzle was just too extreme to make sense. I mean MOVING MOONS AROUND TO RAISE THE CRIPT?!

• 3 weeks later...

That was the great thing about the puzzles! It forced you to think outside the box and decipher the machinations of a long dead alien civilization, what did they value? What purpose would this room have served to them, and from there, what would an item I find in here be used for? The game was brilliantly structured, everything was so fantastically minimalist and subtle. Of course you'll need to do a bit of dusting and fixing, this place has been untouched for centuries, millenia even! Damn i feel like playing it right now.

No, the game is not like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango. If you buy the game expecting it to be like them you will be dissapointed. That's like comparing an episode of LOST to an episode of The Simpsons or Family Guy. They may share the same medium, but the tone, pace and style are TOTALLY different. But who knows? You might like both, and it'd be a crime for you not to give The Dig a go, even if you don't like it.

Archived