Home

Colombia Vs Ecuador and Venezuela?

Fredi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, yeah, the Star Trek universe is great. Enjoy being Borg.

And as for Star Wars, take a brief look at Star Wars history. The GFFA is more war-torn than Earth by far.

But at least you get those sexy gizkas and cute littke twi'leks.

If you complain about SW being war-torn, wait til 40k... though Daemonettes are about just as shexah, or eldar chicks.

Mur'phon- It does make a difference. The U.S.A is sellign weapons to Palestine, and Russia is selling weapons to the middle east. Many other things like this are likely occuring. Countries allied with each other are giving military aide to enemies of their allies. That's practically an act of war declaring an allyship treaty null and void.

Arcesious, since when has Russia been truly allied with the US?

Venezuela has a lot of oil interests there and the US has a vested interest in stability in that region. I suspect if things get really hot there the US will get involved because of the potential economic effects. Note that I'm not saying that it would be _right_ to do so.

Well, then, would you support declaring war on a major power if they send a team of assassins into your territory to eliminate a problem that you are harboring?

Still on the Canada example? If I was canadian, no I wouldn't.

And though their objective was "assassination", it wasn't just a team: It was a full-fledged incursion on both land and air, by heavily armored soldiers. The difference there is that none of the involved countries are a military superpower, it's pretty balanced, actually. On a situation such as that, both Colombia and Ecuador will look for allies to support their views. Today, Rafael Corrêa met President Lula presenting proofs of the devastation of the land they've bombed. Political babbling and bluff aside, this is a serious matter....

Still on the Canada example? If I was canadian, no I wouldn't.....

Actually, no, was making a general observation there. Problem here, like anywhere, is that it's not cut and dried. Had FARC not operated out of Equador (with their tacit permission, by default if nothing else), would Columbia have made the incursion? I agree that it's a serious matter, just not that Equador is the innocent party (there don't really appear to be any, except for the poor sobs caught in the crossfire).

His criticism of Cardinal Rodriguez a while back would indicate otherwise:

Link

And I would reasonably do the same if I was in the same position as he is. I would criticize someone who told me I was an idiot, and told me that "he thinks he's God", so not exactly an 'insane' move. Ad homien attacks on your enemies can help to blunten their ad homien attacks too. Plus...

Chavez has repeatedly lambasted the local Catholic hierarchy in recent weeks, saying it should be dedicated to parishioners rather than meddling in politics by siding with opposition parties.

That doesn't sound unreasonable if you put it in the words of some other politican.

Only difference is that I would prefer being subtle, but in the end, being direct might work.

So, I'm still sticking with my statements: Chavez may be stupid...but not insane.

And I would reasonably do the same if I was in the same position as he is. I would criticize someone who told me I was an idiot, and told me that "he thinks he's God", so not exactly an 'insane' move. Ad homien attacks on your enemies can help to blunten their ad homien attacks too. Plus...

Perhaps, but attacking someone who accuses you of being an imperialist by calling them...an imperialist clown?

While Chavez might not be "clinically insane", he is a buffoon. As to engaging ad hominem w/ad hominem, you may be right that it blunts the attack of the other, but only to those with uncritical minds (unfortunately, that's often a large segment of any population). Still, so long as Chavez stays on his leash and doesn't do anything but bray loudly, he may seem "crazy like a fox".

Huh?

"People should go cool off a bit, chill out their nerves," Chavez said before the summit started. "I think the meeting today is going to be positive, because it is going to help the debate. We have to debate, talk, and this is the first step toward finding the road."

Meanwhile, Ecadour and Colombia is arguing with each other over the crisis, during the summit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Despite bouts of brinkmanship and the risk of military missteps on the border, political analysts say a conflict is highly unlikely, especially as the neighbors' economies heavily depend on cross-border trade.

I think that even Chavez isn't that crazy.

_EW_

Archived