Home

Dark Forces 2 - Control Problem!

tarbee

Hi, :)

I have recently got back into Star Wars gaming on my PC having played the original Dark Forces and have bought Dark Forces 2 & Jedi Outcast. The only problem I have is with the controls in DF2. I am trying to use a joy stick along with the keyboard but for some strange reason I cannot get the page up/down buttons to function and the centre button?? I have tried re-installing the game but no joy? I have tried enabling disabling different buttons including the mouse etc but no joy. Apart from this everything works ok except that when I click on calibrate joystick when Im in the game itself it crashes big time!!

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated as I uploaded the mod and the graphics are great (but this issue seems to affect both original and modded version).

:confused:

Weird prob you've got there... to tell you the truth, i have no idea how to fix it, because i don't use a joystick for JK (or any other 1st or 3rd person game). I just use a convination of keyboard (for moving back and forward, strafe, force powers and stuff) and mouse (to look around and up and down). Maybe try that? If you get used to it, you might find it better than the way you used to play it with a joystick... I find it much faster and more efective.

Thanks for your replies!!

My keyboard is ok with other games etc and isnt broken. My joystick is brand new and works ok on other games as well. As soon as I try yo "Identify" the joystick in the main options screen - my view drops and all I can see is the floor and I cant look up but can move around (not that its much use!!) Cant choose joystick configure option as game crashes straight away-every time - so obviously some joysick/controller issue but how the heck do I fix it??

do you have the latest drivers for it?

if you used a disc the joystick came with its possible they are not the newest ones

I would check the website of the joystick to see if they have newer drivers and install those

[EDIT]

OH STUPID ME!

There is a 1.01 patch for JK that fixes Joystick issues..... how could I have forgotten that

go on the Lucas arts website and download the 1.01 patch for JK

try both of these ideas and see if it helps

Yeah tried the joystick patch but no joy - get it!! :lol: sorry... And dont appear to be any new driver updates for the usb joystick. Loaded Jedi Outcast game (just bought it) and that works fine with my new usb joystick so looks like I need to use my old serial joystick for DF2.

I suppose best to get PCI card with serial interface on it (15 pin) Did have one on my old sound card but my new one doesnt...bugger!!! Will let you know how I get on! :)

Bought game port for my old joystick and installed it on motherboard. And though even windows XP Home recognises it ok it still doesnt work in DF2 though I can calibrate it now in-game, which I couldnt do before! Have tried patches mentioned above and still no joy so admitted defeat and using mouse with keyboard which to be honest aint bad!! :) Great game and updated graphics are superb

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I realise this thread is a bit old now but I have a similar problem.

Some years ago I played DF2 and used a Logitech Thunderpad gameport controller no problem.

Now I have a computer running XP sp3 with no gameport, so bought a usb gamepad, which works fine in other games.

If I enable it, I am always looking at the floor and the mousewheel will bring the view up but it goes back down again as fast it went up!

If I disable the gamepad all is well.

I was thinking about getting a PCI soundcard with gameport and using my old gamepad, which worked well before but reading this thread has prompted me to re-consider.

It seems to me that there must somehow be a conflict between the gamepad and mouse, now the question is did he leave the usb controller plugged in whilst trying to use the old gamepad and gameport or is it a problem with DF2 in XP?

In which case there would be little point in getting a PCI card to use the old gamepad.

Perhaps using a utility to map the gamepad buttons to the keyboard would work? I'll try it.

Archived