Home

Most likely to happen to the KOTOR series

kotorfan84

Most likely fate of KOTOR series  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Most likely fate of KOTOR series

• Lucas Arts makes a third enstallment to the series
    • Lucas Arts creates a MMORPG based on the same time period
    • The fate of Revan, the exile and the True Sith eventually get explained in a star wars comic
    • We never find out anything about what happened after KOTOR 2

IMO, a Knights of the old republic game probably won't happen. Just looking at development time, unless the game is being made now, it could take around 3 years to be made. It took about 2 years to make KOTOR 2, but that was using the same engine as the previous enstallment.

If they were to start making the game now, I predict the game wouldn't be ready till Christmas 2011 or so which is 7 years after the last game and there will be very little intrest in the continuation of the story. While star wars is an established brand, KOTOR wasn't established enough to survive a 7 year layoff like a series like Duke Nukem (which isn't story driven, unlike KOTOR).

So what I want to know is what you guys think is most likely to happen with the series (we all want a third enstallment, but it really isn't the most likely scenario).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what I want to know is what you guys think is most likely to happen with the series (we all want a third enstallment, but it really isn't the most likely scenario).

There are two likely options, IMHO: The third game is released with a major delay or KotOR franchise as we know die (MMO or is forsaken). I'm certainly not interested on comics telling canon and whatnot after so many years of having fun with both games.

I would most definately love a KotOR III. I voted, "Lucas Arts makes a third enstallment to the series", mainly because I think that LA will eventually make KotOR III. I am not expecting it to be soon, but I believe that eventually it will happen.

~Rev

I think KotOR is too fruitful a brand for LA to pass out on. I can't say when, but a sequel will definitely come in - or maybe an MMO (the chances for both are lesser, I'd say). Comics and the EU in general will also help keep the game's legacy, but I can't say how truthful they will stay to the game's aesthetic and whether the "Old Republic" we saw in KotOR will be same 10 years from now.

I have no stinkin' idea what LucasArts will do with the KotOR franchise! Of course I do hope we get a third installment in the KotOR series but with the recent departure of Jim Ward likely creating a lack of strategic leadership and LucasArts seemingly needing to support the two new Star Wars TV series with games it doesn't seem like KotOR will be given much attention.

I guess there is always the LucasArts/BioWare project but BioWare's community coordinator recently reconfirmed that it's not KotOR 3. So yeah, I guess I'm feeling rather bleak about getting to play KotOR 3 anytime soon, though I still hold out hope that LucasArts will pick it up again at some point in the future.

I guess there is always the LucasArts/BioWare project but BioWare's community coordinator recently reconfirmed that it's not KotOR 3. So yeah, I guess I'm feeling rather bleak about getting to play KotOR 3 anytime soon, though I still hold out hope that LucasArts will pick it up again at some point in the future.

Well I don't know about you guys, but KotOR or not, anything that is the result of a LucasArts-BioWare collaboration has my attention, especially when it is tagged more as an "interactive experience" instead of a "video game" :D

If they were to start making the game now, I predict the game wouldn't be ready till Christmas 2011 or so which is 7 years after the last game and there will be very little intrest in the continuation of the story.
I disagree completely with that. Jedi Outcast came out almost 5 years after Jedi Knight, and the anticipation for it was incredible. Make no mistake, no matter when K3 comes out, the interest will be huge.

IMO, a Knights of the old republic game probably won't happen. Just looking at development time, unless the game is being made now, it could take around 3 years to be made. It took about 2 years to make KOTOR 2, but that was using the same engine as the previous enstallment.

If they were to start making the game now, I predict the game wouldn't be ready till Christmas 2011 or so which is 7 years after the last game and there will be very little intrest in the continuation of the story. While star wars is an established brand, KOTOR wasn't established enough to survive a 7 year layoff like a series like Duke Nukem (which isn't story driven, unlike KOTOR).

So what I want to know is what you guys think is most likely to happen with the series (we all want a third installment, but it really isn't the most likely scenario).

Lol... I am very late to this post.

I happen to agree with you on some level. If you think about how much time has passed, I believe that LA will make a whole new "KotOR" story. Instead of revisiting the past, I think they will consider the series done.

However, at the core of my thoughts on a "KotOR III", I do not think that it will be made. I think they will stick to novels and comics.

I personally believe that "KotOR III" is dead before production.

Well I don't know about you guys, but KotOR or not, anything that is the result of a LucasArts-BioWare collaboration has my attention, especially when it is tagged more as an "interactive experience" instead of a "video game" :D
For sure. No question. :D I for one will be quite surprised if the LucasArts/BioWare project doesn't turn out to be a Star Wars title. But if the project turns out to be an MMORPG I will have to evaluate it carefully because I really don't have the time to play an MMORPG and continue playing SPRPG's. At this point in time however I prefer SPRPG's over MMORPG's so I would rather see KotOR 3 developed though it doesn't seem like LucasArts has any plans for the KotOR franchise right now. :(

So much for my delusion about LucasArts taking my wants into consideration. ;P

Lucas will make a third one but it will be another chapter in the kotor saga. The game will touch on some of the past characters from the series but it will be a whole new story. I have a feeling Lucas is playing with some ideas but they want to not take focus off the game Force Unleashed. If the game is a major hit, the kotor3 will be a huge game since the plan is to merchandise around top games like movies. Its a great tool and very smart if you have a huge hit.

Logan

Kotor: Revenge of Revan

http://kotorrevengeofrevan.wetpaint.com/

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=186405

Realistically speaking, Lucas is a businessman and loves to capitalize on any opportunity that he can find.

KOTOR 3 will eventually be made (hopefully by 2010).

In order to keep the interest alive, the LucasFilms and LucasArts will probably release comics and perhaps collector's editions items that will fuel the eventual arrival of KOTOR III.

• 2 weeks later...
Realistically speaking, Lucas is a businessman and loves to capitalize on any opportunity that he can find.

KOTOR 3 will eventually be made (hopefully by 2010).

In order to keep the interest alive, the LucasFilms and LucasArts will probably release comics and perhaps collector's editions items that will fuel the eventual arrival of KOTOR III.

using this logic, you would think it would have already been made. With atleast a 4 year layoff between the last game and development on this one, intrest is fading. People who were luke warm about Kotor 2, probably have little to no intrest in a third game.

One of the biggest rules in buisness is, it's easier to keep an existing customer intrested than gain the intrest of a new customer.

Well, they've been keeping people interested with the comics. And even without the comics there are still hundreds of KOTOR fans (we wouldn't be here if we weren't, now would we? :p).

And remember that there was a five year gap between JK1 and JK2, though JK2 was far more successful (in terms of sales--not quality, however :p).

KOTOR 3 will be made, I have no doubt of that. LA has already milked the Jedi Knight series dry, and they'll soon find that they have nowhere to go with The Force Unleashed. They'll be forced to go back to the KOTOR era sooner or later. It's just a matter of when.

Archived