Home

Charisma makes you a better Force User...why?

Well, umm, difficult question...but I will try to tackle it...:

Umm, maybe charisma gives you wisdom into the force, therefore making it easier to manipulate? Or gives you wisdom on what the most effecient way to use a certain technique? That's about all that I got...

Ehm...ehm...example:

Not Charisma Jedi:

Master: "Did you just KILL that innocent civilian with Force Lightning?! You are Sith!"

Jedi: "Dang...he knows..."

Charisma Jedi:

Master: "Did you just KILL that innocent civilian with Force Lightning?! You are Sith!"

Jedi:*bliks teeth and sticks thumb up*

Master: "No, your charisma convinced me otherwise...

Imo, Charisma is also the looks. If you don't look particular DS or LS it seems you can use both sides easier as well. :)

You got Charisma, and it does two things:

-Make it easier to persuade other people to do your bidding

-Decrease how many Force Points you need to use any Force Power, LS or DS.

I can understand the former. Not the latter. So, guys, come up with a good RP justification. Please?

Charisma is a measure of willpower and force of personality in d20. So presumably you'll have a better ability to shape and command the Force if you are strong willed.

Charisma is a measure of willpower and force of personality in d20. So presumably you'll have a better ability to shape and command the Force if you are strong willed.

Re: Force of personality

I've always understood charisma to be applied in interpersonal situations in order to improve a character's ability to coerce, convice, entice, seduce, intimidate, etc. someone else. After all, what is a personality if there no other person around?

Re: measure of willpower

Meanwhile willpower is a mental or spiritual fortitude and is completely intrapersonal. Note that your Will saves only get bonuses from you Wisdom modifier, not your Charisma modifier.

If Charisma is an interpersonal statistic, it should have no place in influencing an impersonal Force. Wisdom should be the only statistic used.

Re: Force of personality

I've always understood charisma to be applied in interpersonal situations in order to improve a character's ability to coerce, convice, entice, seduce, intimidate, etc. someone else. After all, what is a personality if there no other person around?

Not in the d20 system. Branch out a bit from d20 Starwars to d20 D&D. There you have Charisma as the governing attribute of sorcerers and warlocks, characters who can wield magic intuitively through force of will, rather than methodical study and ritual.

I'd imagine it works somewhat similarly in the d20 Starwars setting with its "magic", the Force.

A lot of Force powers affect people--manipulating them, stunning them, turning them insane, holding them in stasis, healing them, buffing with resistances, etc. So, having a higher Charisma makes sense when you're using a Force power that has an effect on people. Granted, some of the powers don't have effects on people, but it's easier for game mechanics to have just one stat to keep track of.

If someone's writing a fic or RP about it, it's kind of moot, because that's all background number-crunching that really doesn't have an effect on the story itself--I'm never going to write "Jolee leveled up, boosting his Wis and Cha to 22, so now he can wipe out an entire platoon with a single thought of Force Wave if he rolls anything above 1."

Well, in the D20 DnD it basically goes:

Int:

Magic Thingy you can study for, like the bookworm type of mages. Study spells, learn new stuff thru reading and research and etc.

Wis:

Magic thingy you got from some higher power. Do some rituals, rules of your own belief system etc... oh and they wear armor just as well as the average joe.

Cha:

Magic thingy that comes naturally from your oen enlightenment and not studied for.

Well, since Int would not make sense when it comes to most force powers it would just be a choice of Wis or Cha. Personally I think Wis would be a reasonable choice as well, but I guess Cha is used cause it is much mroe balanced. Since Jedi already got the Wis to AC(defence) bonus from the Monks then linking force points to Wis would just result in massive Wis pumping. Now at least Cha would not be a dump stat.

Tommy: Exactly what I was thinking to write... Qui Gonn Jinn was convinced that the force had a mind and a will of it's own, and saw himself as a servant of the will of the force. He and Ben Kenobi discussed this. It would seem to be evidence they were right..

Poiuy: definitely balance is definitely a big factor.

I'm pretty sure it's Wisdom, not Charisma, that increases Will.

Yup its Con-> Fort, Dex->Reflex, Wiz-> Will.

And really, seeing all the ancient sithlords with big armor and stuff, coupled with the fact that the force has a will on its own, it would make way more sense to use Wiz. So its just balancing.

I mean, currently:

Wiz: gives you Will Saves, AC bonus(Jedi, monk style).

Dex: still a way to get AC, oh and reflex saves.

Cha: The traditional dump stat, esp when there are only a few spor where Cha bonus is used rather than the lightsaber, so a bit of force related bonus is needed. But yes, if you still want to go hack n slash style then even that bit of fun can be ignored.

Though I personally like characters with higher cha, to pick up barmaids and what not and other fun stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

First thing...Charisma is a very, very useful stat.

It not only increases Persuade check & decreases Force power alignment penalty

but it also increases the attack bonus of your teammates...your ability to influence them

and most importantly, it affects the Difficulty class of your force powers in the same way as your Wisdom does.

If wisdom shows how well you master your force powers, charisma shows how well you command your force powers.

Ehm...ehm...example:

Not Charisma Jedi:

Jedi: "Dang...he knows..."

Charisma Jedi:

Jedi:*bliks teeth and sticks thumb up*

Master: "No, your charisma convinced me otherwise...

:rofl:

If you ask me, the game developers prolly envisioned the Force like Kreia - an insidious deity seeking absolute balance. So if you're charismatic and sexy, you can probably convince the Force to be on your side and help you out.

The transition to this philosophy of the Force is equivalent to what a child goes through on the day he learns Santa Claus isn't real.

• 1 month later...

ok. it uses charisma for that, because the game is based off of DnD, and in DnD Charisma is needed to be a good magic wielder. Secondly, Charisma is your negotiating skills and your tool to manipulate things to do your bidding. Therefore, you are, (in a matter of speaking), persuading the force into letting you use a power that is otherwise harder for you to use. you are getting past the rules through means of negotiation, persuasion, and manipulation of the rules themselves.

Well, if Charisma allows you to persuade people, it could also work the other way round. Meaning that it prevents you from being influenced, as your personality is more prevailing. So if you have a weak "personality", using Force powers "influences" you and tires you (= more FP spent), while with a strong one you are not dominated by the Force. I guess that joins Kreia's vision of the Force.

In Soviet Russia, Force Powers Uses YOU!! :p

Archived