Home

Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG

dowon

The conversation flow charts seem more like logic gate diagrams, so I suppose one with a degree in electrical engineering can script for UE3. >_>

Either way, it's quite insightful into the development process, and also makes me feel more comfortable with gargling maggots than scripting with Kismet.

That, and I liked the Heck conversation choices. :)

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DarthParametric: It looks a bit more evolved then what the conversation trees and choices of K1 and TSL looks like.

It was a rather nice read though. And seeing how much works creeps into even these limited dialogues. o_O

I can see why they only go for 3 or 4 choices. Even if some of them end up the same, more or less.

That middle chart illustrates how much of an illusion choice is in RPGs, despite the song and dance devs like to make about it.

There are five outcomes from it, DP. Although the extent to which they are distinguishable is a complete mystery until we actually play the game, I suppose.

Less flowcharts, OE. Moar game nao, plzkthx.
I verily enjoy developer blogs of this magnitude, as it's a rare incidence in the industry. Whenever a AAA developing studio does produce a blog, it's usually more talk than walk, so to speak. This has actual work shown, not just some 3-minute "cinematic" trailer of yonder. That, and considering that this blog seems to be produced by Obsidian independently and not by Sega's underfunded marketing department, it's rather impressive for the size.

• 4 weeks later...

A new blog is up, from Avellone, again. As always, has interesting information and a couple screenshots.

It also seems Sega is optimistic about Alpha Protocol as one of Sega's business managers said something along the lines of "Playing around with Alpha Protocol, the guys here are already brainstorming ideas for AP2." Not a confirmation of a sequel, but seems like their interested if the sales are there (I'm too lazy to go find the link right now).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alpha Protocol preview at Dualshockers

Also included in the review is confirmation of more than the three released locations of Saudi Arabia, Rome, and Moscow, as well as a few other bits and pieces of new information that make it worth wading through the first few paragraphs of recap.

The new parts sound promising, though the rest of the article is more of the same stuff we've had for months, it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, supplicants!

Our latest revelation from the Prophet Avellone bears fruition, for he has issued a new sura, bearing news that the Lord's Qur'an Alpha Protocol shall be revealed on June 1, 2010 in North America, with the honored tribes of Eurasia and Australia receiving preference of revelation with the dates of May 28 and May 27th, respectively. Praise be to Obsidian, the Most Gracious, Most Merciful!

What? You deny these revelations? What fools you are, indeed, for he has sent a vision confirming this revelation!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived