Home

Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG

dowon

GDC dev walkthrough of a bit of the Saudi Arabia level - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-alpha-protocol/63046 It's the 360 version and there's some nasty looking DOF issues by the looks. The AI seems a bit retarded as well.

Judging by the end of the clip, it would seem at least some of the story exposition is done via flashbacks.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more concerned about its technical stability rather then its Artificial Intelligence. Obsidian makes great story-driven games but they also forget to remove any bugs or glitches that appear in their games as well; thus, ruining the cinematic experience and story-driven nature of their games. Just look at Neverwinter Nights 2 (and its expansion packs) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I hope Alpha Protocol is an exception in this regard.

It wasn't on their 'to do' list that day?

My original point is that their games (KotOR II, Neverwinter Nights 2) usually have a high amount of bugs/glitches. (I got stuck on Citadel Station in TSL for 2 months before finally figuring out a solution and progressing normally.) Even more so then the average triple AAA title. This isn't their fault obviously, (due to high amounts of release pressure from the game publishers) and BioWare has the same problem as well. (I'm not a blind fan-boy!)

Anyway, given the amount of delays Alpha Protocol has received, the game should be bug free and the experience should run smoothly when its released.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Not necessarily because of the time it takes to complete. Probably the time when bugs will have you throw the controller away...

Remember K2. Remember.

This game better not have many bugs after being delayed almost a year.

Despite whatever bugs we may encounter in Alpha Protocol, I'm still going to play it for its story. Its not like Mass Effect didn't have any bugs or glitches; and despite what Joystiq says, I think the textures in Alpha Protocol look perfectly fine as it is. (Judging from the screen-shots.)

Hmmm... the 16 hour estimation has me a bit worried, I like my RPG stories lengthy and stretched out. I also have a feeling 90% of those hours will be spent in combat anyway, so hopefully the story is still good. I can deal with bugs, as long as the framerate isn't constantly locking up, and anything above 2004 graphics is playable for me.

Well they will not be able to blame Lucas Arts this time around.

Yes, Ztalker I remember TSL, it is still one of my favorite games despite the bugs.

It's my favorite too...after all the patches. I remember buying the game on the first release day and trying to swoop race...with a swoop glued to the ceiling.

Just saying it could be lethal for Alpha Protocol to have stuff like this. I hope it's epic though. RPG/Shooter/Spy game. Want.

16 hours isn't lengthy, but then, Mass Effect was only ~12, IIRC.

On bugs, I'm just hoping that's why the game's been so long delayed; but as DP says, it's pretty likely it'll come with a fair few. Then again, that's not exactly a problem specific to Obsidian. Mass Effect had a fair number of bugs on release, as did KotOR. Didn't stop them selling.

16 hours isn't lengthy, but then, Mass Effect was only ~12, IIRC.
:lol: If you did a speed playthrough with no side quest then just maybe you could be able to finish ME in 12 hours or less.

Saying ME is 12 hours is like saying you can finish Oblivion in less than 8 hours. Yes, you most likely can finish the main quest, but the game is made up of not only the main quest, but the side quests too. If you want to only include the main quest in the length, then go play a shooter.

Except, who actually wanted to do, "Find x amounts of plutonium. Find x blablabla. Find y blablabla. Find z blablabla. Go to the same building 400 times, on these really boring planets that we only created to waste your time, and kill the same looking guys, in that same hallway."

I'm still trying to swallow the 16 hour estimate; I mean, a good main quest should probably have something like 10-12 missions. And then if we factor in the side quests at each hub, I'd say around 5-6 at each hub, so let's say 20 side missions. Is each mission like 15 minutes in length, even excluding dialog???

Most "professional" reviewers usually speed through the entire game, with only tasting side-quests, which is usually how games are reviewed at almost a week's notice. This can work in the game's favor... or not. IIRC, the same tactic was used in KotOR II, where even a few journalists ended up revising their dissertations when they replayed the game to discover the "Train you party members into Jedi" portion; definitely not a very positive indication of the reputation of video game journalism. :¬:

This new editorial happens to push all of the buttons concerning why people should be more enthusiastic for Alpha Protocol, and for all the right reasons. Now that Splinter Cell: Conviction has been released (and subsequently panned for brevity and poor stealth mechanics), and Mass Effect 2 has been marred by a perceived lack of RPG-ness, Alpha Protocol has the chance to fill a niche and subsequently claim the throne of not only RPG of the Year, but possibly even Game of the Year. That is, unless if Obsidian's own New Vegas doesn't trample it. :xp:

I realize that Splinter Cell: Conviction isn't really the most "stealthy" game ever made, or better then the original games in the franchise; but must we bash it? I mean, it isn't all that bad as you think. Quite the contrary, I think it's actually a decent, fun game to play. Even with the stealth elements reduced. (Though, you must know that I've been playing the Splinter Cell games since I was 6.) Plus, the story, along with the music and cinematic presentation worked out better then I anticipated.

Anyway, I'll still play Alpha Protocol when it comes out. It is Obsidian after-all.

Archived