Home

Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG

dowon

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A word of caution: people have been reporting runtime errors and corrupted save games when using this patch. The thing is, it works fine for me, and almost everyone with issues is using the EU version of AP. Since I have the US version, one can assume that the patch released in US-exclusive, and SEGA didn't publish localized executables, and linked all support areas to the same download. Just to be safe, though, back up your APGame.exe and all of your saves before installing.
I'm really curious about the game, but I really can't be convinced right now to buy it, even when the price has been dropped. Not with patches like these.

• 1 month later...
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a patch... after nearly three months. :indif:

Hmmm... So if I read this correctly the only file this patch addresses is the game's executable? I mean, the instructions on SEGA support page that PastramiX linked to say replace APGame.exe with the downloaded version. I've been thinking about getting this game once a patch came out but I think I'll wait for the next Steam sale for Alpha Protocol. From other things I've read it seems like AP may not run all that well on Windows 7 64-bit OS either? Does anybody else have experience running AP on Win 7 64-bit? If that is true I'm thinking I don't want to spend more than USD$20 for a game that has obviously been dumped by its publisher.

The game runs flawlessly on my system, which runs Win7 x64; I've never experienced a crash or a freeze. I'm using an ATI HD Mobility 5650 and an Intel i5 540m, and with maxed-out graphics (I manually edited the .ini files to increase the resolution and # of shadows on everything, etc.) w/ 2x MSAA, I'm getting way over 60 FPS consistently. As long as you have the latest drivers, you should be fine.

Does anybody else have experience running AP on Win 7 64-bit? If that is true I'm thinking I don't want to spend more than USD$20 for a game that has obviously been dumped by its publisher.

I ran it on Windows 7 64-bit (Intel E8400 Core2Duo processor, Asus ATI HD3870 graphics card) and it ran really bad. There was graphic stuttering all the time - basically I'd play for a minute (tops) and then the game would stutter for a second or two and the camera would go nuts, causing me to lose my orientation in the game world. Keep in mind that I haven't tried the patch yet, so I don't know if things have improved (been busy with other games and other, non-game related stuff :D).

Thanks for the responses. So it seems like one rolls the dice when it comes to AP performance on Windows 7 64-bit. Since I'm not much of a risk taker :D I think I'll stick with my original plan and buy AP off Steam when it's on sale. I'm interested in playing this game but not willing to spend more than USD$20-25 when it has significant potential for gameplay interrupting glitches.

• 5 months later...
Don't know if people have noticed this, but Play Magazine names Alpha Protocol the most underrated game of the last year.

Metro 2033 and Resonance of Fate both also got look-ins.

I didn't post because I didn't want to have the "mini-games are teh hard"/"the mini-games are teh optional" exchange with Mimi...again. :xp:

Hopefully this will create new visibility for a truly underrated game.

• 5 months later...

Archived