Home

Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG

dowon

I don't think Obsidian have promoted the game very well. Seems like all they've done so far is show off how much of a ME clone it is. I really wish they'd feature some of the unique stuff I've heard whispers about.
I believe that's more of Sega's failing, rather than Obsidian's. They often keep awareness of their games down to a low roar, unfortunately, especially when they've been actively releasing gems over the past few months. I certainly hope that Alpha Protocol sells well, as any extra profit extends Obisidian's lifespan over going belly-up like any other Black Isle offshoot. Of course, New Vegas will probably sell like hotcakes, as if anything that FO3 has told us, it's that Fallout is more of a mainstream brand now, which you can interpret in many ways.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pre-order bonus stuffs were announced this week.

Assault Pack if you pre-order from GameStop.

Stealth Pack if you pre-order from GameCrazy.

I was just checking and it appears the pre-order bonuses are only for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game...

Matthew Rorie seems to reinforce the fact that the pre-order bonuses weren't Obsidian's idea as he states the general feeling at Obsidian is that it would suck for PC players to miss out on content.

It'd be nice to have something for PC, too, although I imagine those can be modded in easily enough. This looks like it's shaping up to be a very fun game.

It's just a pity it appears not to have caught the public imagination. No doubt there are too few halfling rogues and/or space marines in it.

It's just a pity it appears not to have caught the public imagination. No doubt there are too few halfling rogues and/or space marines in it.

I'm hoping with enough press and good gameplay it'll turn into a huge hit, especially for Obsidian's sake. I like their games for the most part, and what to see them succeed.

Blasphemy sir! You can never have too many redheaded hot chicks.
I love this guy.

I'm hoping with enough press and good gameplay it'll turn into a huge hit, especially for Obsidian's sake. I like their games for the most part, and what to see them succeed.

Agreed, but looking at the places it scored in polls for E3 and its release date, I'm not hopeful. It could still be a hit, but I'm not betting on it without something like a viral ad campaign.

I have massive doubts that it will do well, financially, for more than one of the reasons already stated. Partially, it's Sega's tradition for putting barely any marketing incentive compared to other publishing houses, which is, in many cases, good, but when they've been releasing fairly good titles as of late, it means that all of the good title get tossed under the rug by the media. That's why similar RPGs as of late (:dev8:) have received almost unanimous raise by the media, all because each publisher used extensive marketing techniques (I.E., hyping) in their advertising campaigns.

Of course, having a competing developer's release in the same month probably doesn't do wonders for your own title, too. :p

I don't think the problem lies in the level of exposure. I think they've had enough to get the game into the spotlight. I think the problem lies in the type of stuff they have shown, as I have said before.

Console shooter-RPGs like AP and ME tread a dangerous path. You can see they want to appeal to the mass-market shooter crowd, so they downplay the RPG elements and focus on the combat. That's a big mistake, as the shooter mechanics will likely be pretty poor compared to a straight FPS/3rdPS (as was the case with ME1) and visually it's nothing that hasn't been seen a gazillion times before. I think a lot of console shooter kiddies got burned with ME - they hated the combat and had to put up with constant breaks in the mindless combat for conversations (which they skipped through of course). No doubt they will be more cautious with AP.

ME scored a lot of coverage because the press got all excited by the conversation wheel (for some reason). Regardless of whether or not Obsidian came up with a similar idea independently, their system is going to be seen as a ripoff of ME, so that isn't going to win them much publicity (not of the positive kind anyway).

One of the things that could be a big winner for AP is all the supposed Bond-esque gadgetry, but we haven't really seen anything of this (other than some vague references and a few quick inventory pics). Again, they've chosen to play up the bland elements of the game that everyone has seen a bunch of times before.

Much like EA choosing to pair Dragon Age with a Marilyn Manson song, Sega's PR work for AP boggles the mind....

Anyone else think that logo and "The Espionage RPG" look mighty cheesy?
Yeah, the box art is rather unexciting, but I digress. As far as the subtitle goes; well, if Fallout had "A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game" as their subtitle on the box art, then I suppose others can do so as well.

The ESRB content summary is hilarious:

Alpha Protocol

Platform: Windows PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

Rating: Mature

Content descriptors: Blood, Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Sexual Content, Strong Language

Rating summary: This is a third-person shooter in which players assume the role of a special agent dispatched to track down stolen munitions and bring terrorists to justice. Players travel around the world, navigate through missions that increase characters' skill, and eliminate an assortment of enemies and terrorists. Players use shotguns, assault rifles, machine guns, grenades, and knives to kill enemies. Stealth attacks allow players to sneak up on and stab unsuspecting enemies. The most intense depictions of violence occur during interactive cutscenes where players have the option to "spare/wait" or "execute/goodbye" villains. Players can shoot surrendered enemies at close range with bullets to the stomach, kneecap, and forehead. Most injuries and deaths result in blood splatter that occasionally pools on the floor. During the course of the game, players can comes across exotic dancers dressed in skimpy clothing. In one scene, the central character has (implied) sex with a female villain: The villain is shown in underwear and climbs on top of the central character and mounts him; sexual activity is never depicted as the scene fades to black. One character in the game is depicted snorting cocaine from his hand; the central character comments that the person is "f*cking high."

Well, at least we won't see yet another awkward, cheek-clipping sex scene a la Mass Effect. :xp: The cocaine reference is also humorously written, as well as the confirmation that Thorton can throw out quips at a moment's notice. :p

Archived