Home

Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG

dowon

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argh, I don't think that box art is cheesy or corny. I actually like the font and the world map in the background. Seems appropriate for a modern day ''spy'' RPG. And like most other folks on this topic, I'm looking forward to Alpha Protocol. Hopefully, it won't be a disappointment.

Walkthrough Trailer #2

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

This is the best trailer yet, and has completely enchanted me with this game. The safehouses seem to be much more than simply a starting location, and the various features are everything that I've ever wanted out of the generic "base" in RPGs. The ability to respond to emails using the standard dialogue system normally featured with conversations is brilliant. The weapon modification interface is exactly what I've been dreaming of in any game, and the facial customization system seems finely developed.

The dialogue also seems well-written, as of now, that is. Favorite line from Thorton: "Huh, Nasri. Why can't all terrorists be as fun to kill as you?" :p

The dialogue also seems well-written, as of now, that is. Favorite line from Thorton: "Huh, Nasri. Why can't all terrorists be as fun to kill as you?" :p
That was my favorite bit as well. :p Game keeps looking better, definitely one of my top titles coming out this year.

I'm also digging the girl with the large gun at 0.25. :p

I agree with you sir and also proclaim that I will not kill her during the game, because people as sexy as that should not be killed.

I really love the UI they've made, sleek and very in with the times. Nice to them develop such a lean and functional UI after the half-baked one in KotOR II. The video really impressed me, and like Jeff it's on my Top 5 list for sure. Just below Deus Ex, in fact. >_>

In fact, the game reminds me of Deus Ex, as I haven't seen an RPG in a modern setting since Deus Ex, so I'm really digging this shindig. The music at the end of the walkthrough strongly reminded me of Deus Ex. >_>

I agree with you sir and also proclaim that I will not kill her during the game, because people as sexy as that should not be killed.
Her name's SIE, and she's a former East German operative, now a mercenary. She's also a 40-year-old dominatrix, and lives on a "Join me or die, bitch" motto. In the end, I'm thinking she'll violently sodomize Thorton, but that's just a hunch.
I really love the UI they've made, sleek and very in with the times. Nice to them develop such a lean and functional UI after the half-baked one in KotOR II. The video really impressed me, and like Jeff it's on my Top 5 list for sure. Just below Deus Ex, in fact. >_>
It definitely has that "realistic" feel, especially when using computers, much like how Deus Ex was. I'm hoping there's more computer-based elements, though, such as hacking into security systems and using them against enemies, as that never became stale in DX.
In fact, the game reminds me of Deus Ex, as I haven't seen an RPG in a modern setting since Deus Ex, so I'm really digging this shindig. The music at the end of the walkthrough strongly reminded me of Deus Ex. >_>
The game definitely seems to broadcast similar feelings to what I basked in when playing Deus Ex, and I think it might have the potential to fill in empty RPG elements left out by DX (An actual dialogue system, for one). Only time can tell, though. :)

As far as music goes, from most of the the 90 second samples that I've gathered from the official website, it gives of a very suspenseful, orchestrated vibe to it, similar to any action flicks of the day, particularly Batman Begins. It does have more electronica-inspired beats to it, along with more big brass blasts for action scenes. The main theme, for one, is fairly minimalist, yet still "loud" enough to catch attention.

I was just checking and it appears the pre-order bonuses are only for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game...

Matthew Rorie seems to reinforce the fact that the pre-order bonuses weren't Obsidian's idea as he states the general feeling at Obsidian is that it would suck for PC players to miss out on content.

Just saw this post, ugh. I would have preordered it too, stealth pack sounds cool. I don't see how people can prefer western RPGs on consoles anyways, whether they're shooters or not.

Also, lol.

Another preview

This is another really good article that goes into great depth concerning dialogue choices and their apparent consequences, and it seems to shine at that regard. There's also a good insight into the dossier system, which is a "journal" of sorts that keeps track of character and faction information. It doesn't seem to be just a metagaming element, though, as every time you learn more on someone/thing, that translates towards "better" dialogue options in certain situations.

Might I also say that the character Grigori shares the same voice actor as HK-47, and also shares a bit of his sarcastic and crude personality. :p

Mr. Rorie just revealed that the AP will have a gameplay time of between 20-25 hours.

I'm hoping this a "less is more" thing.

Wow, that's certainly shorter than I would have expected. Let's hope you're right about 'less is more'.

Mr. Rorie just revealed that the AP will have a gameplay time of between 20-25 hours.

I'm hoping this a "less is more" thing.

I was guessing it'd be a shorter game; I'm guessing the actual run-through time is made up for by the number of ways to play through/branching choices in the game. Hopefully.

The ESRB content summary is hilarious:Well, at least we won't see yet another awkward, cheek-clipping sex scene a la Mass Effect. :xp: The cocaine reference is also humorously written, as well as the confirmation that Thorton can throw out quips at a moment's notice. :p

Ha ha, that was great. I think what makes it so funny is the fact that it's intended to be taken seriously. :D

Might I also say that the character Grigori shares the same voice actor as HK-47, and also shares a bit of his sarcastic and crude personality.

Oooh, I like that. Tabori is a fine voice actor (HK-47/HK-50s just wouldn't be so popular without him), and it's good to see him back in business. :)

I was guessing it'd be a shorter game; I'm guessing the actual run-through time is made up for by the number of ways to play through/branching choices in the game. Hopefully.

We'll see. I always tend to spend far more time in the game than needed, so the game will probably be around 10 hours longer for me. :D

Seemed like that was on the cards when it was revealed how few areas there were a while back.
There were only 4 'major areas' in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (I guess 5 if you count the final boss area as a separate area), but that didn't matter. You could burn through the areas quickly by doing the main quest line, or you could do all the side quests and spend a lot of time. Also, the game was so different depending on what class you chose, along with your play style, that it's never been the same game twice for me. I'm hoping that AP can capture that same depth with its different play styles and many quests. If they can, the number of areas won't matter that much at all.

The difference between Bloodlines's "hubs" and AP's areas seems to be that AP is going for a more linear once-through type affair, similar to most of Mass Effect's main plot planets. Bloodlines had a bunch of side-quests within and between the hubs, and the main story-based "action zones" (for want of a better term) were separate areas outside the hubs. From what I've seen, AP's side-quests are very similar to, say, those in ME's Feros mission. It's a once-through deal where you can do a couple of minor Fedex-type side-quests along the way, but once you've shot all the bad guys that's it.

The difference between Bloodlines's "hubs" and AP's areas seems to be that AP is going for a more linear once-through type affair, similar to most of Mass Effect's main plot planets. Bloodlines had a bunch of side-quests within and between the hubs, and the main story-based "action zones" (for want of a better term) were separate areas outside the hubs. From what I've seen, AP's side-quests are very similar to, say, those in ME's Feros mission. It's a once-through deal where you can do a couple of minor Fedex-type side-quests along the way, but once you've shot all the bad guys that's it.

There will be around four "just talking" missions per hub, should you choose to accept them, if I remember correctly. How long they are or what they entail other than "just talking", I don't know...

Source

IGN have posted a short preview of Obsidian's upcoming RPG, Alpha Protocol which puts emphasis on the game's RPG aspects and, rather shockingly, manages to spell "Thorton" correctly for once.

The action misson we see is set in a bombed out Embassy, and affords us a chance to see the combat mechanics at work. Truth told, it's an initially unimpressive set-up, with the mission playing out like a mesh of some of the more generic third-person shooters available, complete with cursory cover-based gunplay, mini-game interludes to hack into terminals and keypads, and all interspersed with a little light stealth.

But Alpha Protocol's not a third-person shooter

Dun dun dunnnnnnn.
and what's impressive about the action scenes is how each decision made, no matter how minute, feeds into the character progression. Farming experience points isn't a matter of stringing a series of headshots together - get to the end of a level without alerting anyone and you'll be rewarded with a generous dose of experience points too.

Archived