Home

Star Wars Reminiscing

*Don*

When was the first time that you came into contact with Star Wars,what type of legacy has it left on you, and where do you think it will go in the future?

I first heard of Star Wars back in 1999 when Ep 1 came out.

Before then, I used to live in a foreign country and had never heard of it. When I first saw those space battles I was completely enamored and became a fanatic. It also taught me how not to get girls (the whole "are you an angel" line never really worked). I definitely think Star Wars will be around for another 20 years or so. After that, I predict that it will begin a long, slow decline.

Anyhow, the point is that I'm sure that there must be people here on the forums that went to see the original Star Wars in theaters back in 1977 who probably have loads to say on this subject.

Well i wasnt born when the first movie came out, i have watched em some years later on TV tho and i watched the "special" edition sometime in the 90´s when it came back into the theaters. And afaik it was my mom´s fault that i became a star wars fan since she wanted to get me to read books and thought i would read a book about star wars well she was right:P i own most of the novels by now xept those lousy 200pages books for childs and the young jedi knights stuff which i never really liked:-)

I loved the original series. My parents were slight star wars fans and liked the series so I watched it with them. I always liked Star Wars since then due to its Sci-fi originality. Then i got into the games and eventually I joined Lucasforums.

There the story of my life

Life story time...

At 6 years old, I watched my first starwars movie, which was actually episode 6. I didn't see the whole thing, but I was mezmerized by the explosions and technology.

At seven, I watched episodes 4-6, and later on in my life saw the rest of the movies. Starwars led to games. My first game was KOtOR, on my Xbox. Then I got other games, more starwars. Then I had a startrek fanaticism stage. I used to go to an old Trek forum where i acted like a complete idiot in my adolescent years, that forum of which I must say is really crappy and run-down now... Then I went back to starwars, and came to this forum, and acted like an idiot in some debates. Then I left for a long time and played EAW and FOC, going to the Petroglyph forums and EverythingEAW... Then I got bored of that, and came back here. I also discovered Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, and also BSG, however I found BSG to be far too dramatic for my tastes, so now I stick with Stargate. I talked in debates a bit and such... Then I recently found the Bridge commander game, and started playing it, and went to another forum, Bridge Commander Central. I also discovered Starwarsknights.com... And go on there too. So nowadays I come here, and those two other places. I stick around here only for the interesting discussions and debates anymore... That's life of a Sci-Fi nerd for ya...

This might sound unnerving, but I got into Star Wars when I first played the demo for Episode I from a computer magazine disc. I sort of liked the game and loved the cool laser sword things they had, so I watched the movie when it was on TV and it was cool.

Then I got this picture book of Episode V and I liked that too, and then they showed the OT on TV and I was like 'Awesome' and then I started browsing the Star Wars Databanks and stuff. By the time Episode II came out, I had a good idea of who's who and what's what. It was after Episode II that I completed my EU geekiness.

I have always been a fan of Star Wars since I first watched the movies as a little kid in the early 90s. Ever since the day when my older brother and I clashed our light beams from our flashlights together until now I am a full die hard fan for Star Wars. I believe myself to be the biggest fan in this county.

I first became aware of the SW Universe when I went to The Phantom Menace with my uncle and nephew when I was a kid. After that, I watched the old trilogy and they became my favorite movies. After Attack of the Clones, I really became into SW when I began buying games. After Revenge of the Sith (maybe even a bit before that) I began buying books and joined SW forums, to the point where I am now.

I saw the remakes in the 90s then played the JK games then the KotOR games. I think the games got me into Star Wars moreso than the movies though.
Same here, I saw the originals when I was young and was hugely into it then, had action figures and stuff, and shortly after that Episode I came out so I was still really into it, but then for a few years it kind of phased out, I still saw Episode II on opening day but it wasn't a major event for me. But then when I heard about KotOR I really got back into it and became the Star Wars fan I am today. :D

I must have been about... 8, maybe? The Phantom Menace had just come out. My mum was a big fan of the original trilogy, so I was aware this wasn't a totally new series, but I loved it just the same. Though I learned the story of the first trilogy (In the way that everyone knows the plot of Planet Of The Apes even if they haven't seen it), I didn't actually get around to watching them until last year. Odd, really, because I had the games (Jedi Knight, Battlefront, Demolition, even that pod racing game that was out for the PS2), and of course a plastic lightsaber (No 10-year-old girl should be without one).

Even then I have to say I only became... enthusiastic about the series when, after finally watching the original trilogy, I decided to pick up KotOR. I'm normally the sort of person that leaves things half-done, but so far I'm on my fourth time through KotOR and I still love the story, the characters, the world, as if they're brand new.

Hmmm...when I was about 9 or 10, in '99, The Phantom Menace launched. I remember I cut some promotional pictures of a young Obi-Wan and Qui Gonn Jinn out and show it to my friends. We were amazed about the...lightsabers really. We then went on to play like we were Obi Wan and Qui Gonn :xp: We didn't see the movie though (too young, I believe)

A year ater, nearing the summer break, our teacher organised a 'relax and do nothing' day at school and he went on to show The Empire Strikes back. No-one really got it, and went on to play with other stuff, but me and the same guys I 'played' Episode 1 with were stunned. We then saw Obi-Wan wasn't just in 1 movie, but was actually an old guy in these movies. And...was Darth Vader the little guy we knew from the first movie? It was a whole universe!

Shortly afterwards, a local television station broadcasted al the three movies, plus episode 1. I watched them, although they went on far into the night. I then went on to see Episode 2 and became infected with the Star Wars virus. :)

My dad was an instant fan we he saw them back in time, when he was 18...

He had the change to tape them, when they where first released on TV.

It was in the year the first commercial TV launched here in Belgium (VTM).

Anyway, I was 6 year and liked the first 2 movies, but was scared as hell of Jabba. His low booming voice scared me, so I often hided behind the couch for the first part... though oddly I liked the Rancor...

Then in 97-99 when they released the OT it was a dream coming through, SW on the big screen.

I only recently dug into the EU because of LF and well the Kotor games.

I had DF I and II but wasn't aware of the other stuff all around SW.

Yeah, great memory introducing SW to my friend.

*sigh* Its so much fun being a little kid, movies are more magic

I think mine was when i was 7 years old, trying to figure out if Vader's psychic neck pinch was a blatent rip off of the Vulcan neck pinch. I then watched the rest of the film and that as they say is that. Im one of those uber geeks who's brain can easily tackle Wars and Trek based situations at the same time. Oddly i think i played Dark Forces 2 before i saw return of the jedi!

Sexy!

I have no distinct memory of how I got into Star Wars (it seems to me like it was always there, just another one of those things; you know, survival required eating, drinking, sleeping, and Star Wars), but I remember that when I was in 4th grade my brother had been harassing me for weeks to start reading the books (first ones were the trilogy by KJA). Finally I gave in and read the series, then naturally had to read the rest. When I read the rest I found out just how bad a writer he was. :lol:

My fondest Star Wars geek memory is a year or two later when I was at church and I was talking to my friends and I forget what we were talking about but I made a passing reference to the Maw cluster and they freak out and go ":O you're a Star Wars fan too???" so now we randomly say "Gantoris got fried!" and have a few laughs every now and then. Reminds me that I haven't said it to her lately...

I've divorced any book after Vision of the Future, though.

Dark Forces was my very first computer game (played it before I had a computer -- all you spoiled kids... I didn't have a computer til I was 12, and no internet til my second year of high school!). It'll always have a special place in my heart. <3

Anyhow, the point is that I'm sure that there must be people here on the forums that went to see the original Star Wars in theaters back in 1977 who probably have loads to say on this subject.
I would be one of those people who actually saw it in 1977. Unfortunately I have no memory of it since I was 19 months old. I only know that I went to it because my mother remembers holding me in the theater when it first came out. I was a very quiet baby which is why she could bring me to it.

I do have a memory seeing it in the theaters when it ran in the theaters back in the early 80's. I also remember going to see the Empire Strikes Back when it first came out and I was in 1st grade when Return of the Jedi came out.

I first got into Star Wars at a very young age. There was a time when I would watch episode 6 at least once every two weeks. The first time I ever played a star wars game was on the Super Nintendo with Super Empire Strikes Back, an awesome game that kept me occupied many times when I should have been doing other things.

I was also very into the Star Wars action figures and toys, I collected a whole bunch of stuff from the OT.

As for the future, Star Wars in my mind, is the most imaginative and interesting universe when it comes to Sci-Fi, so I'm pretty sure that it will go one for a very long time.

I watched the original trilogy, with Empire Strikes Back being the first, on TV when I was eleven and I was stunned by the SFX, especially the Battle of Hoth and the Millenium Falcon chase in the asteroid field :) Then came Episode I, and I've sticked with the franchise since then.

I saw it for the first time when I was 5 years old in 1979 when it came around in theaters again, as that was the only way to see movies again since it was before you could even get VHS tapes. I went with my Dad and I have been hooked ever since. Saw ESB a year later and ROTJ in '83. I remember getting to stay up late when one of the films came on TV in the early and mid 80's. I also remember getting excited about the first Ewok TV movie before it came out...

My friends got me into Star Wars. I must have been like 8 or 9 when I was over at their house and they said, "Oh! You haven't seen Star Wars? They're classics!" And they promptly sat me down in front of the TV and played the VHS updated edition. I was hooked, but the clincher didn't come till one or two years later when Episode 1 came out. Went to see it in the theatre, and BAM! I was a Star Wars fan. I thought it was awesome at the time, and it's still my favorite episode in the series.

Great stories, y'all.

I saw it in a drive-in theatre when I was 5-ish, had to be in 1977... loved it (My parents had a blue ford van, still remember spilling Coke on the seat). Saw ESB in a theatre in 80-81 or so, it was my first actual theatre expirience (thankfully it was a small town theatre, no massive complexes in those days), saw RotJ in the same theatre a couple years later (It was paired with an all day admission double feature with Missing in Action, I sat through 3 screenings of each... ahhh to be a kid again! lol).

I watched the original trilogy on VCD waaaay back when I was a kid (the pseudo burnt corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru grossed me out then, and still does). I did like the whole idea, but I didn't get obsessive until I played TSL, as its unpolished but promising story drove me absolutely berserk! So here I am:/

Archived