Home

Have YOU got Insecticide?

The Tingler

My copy of Insecticide arrived today! Haven't started playing it yet, but if you don't live in the US and want a good, fast, trustworthy and cheap importer and think they don't exist, may I recommend Videogamesplus? They shipped it on Tuesday from US/Canada and it arrived here across the Atlantic on Friday. Normal letters take longer than that!!

I'll give you some first impressions later today and the full review soon as I've finished it. Drat, Sam & Max is out today too isn't it? So much for dinner!

I completed the game a while back. I enjoyed it, although it did feel a bit like a less-good version of Hellfire. I also had to buy a Japanese adaptor so I could actually get the cart into the machine, but that's not really a criticism. I also liked the artwork on the box, even if it didn't compare favourably to the in-game experience.

First impressions: pretty good!

-Yes, it is a bit too dark. If this were on the original GBA you'd just have a black screen. It's not unplayably dark and I can see everything fine - but that's in my bedroom.

-First-person aiming is useless if you're not left-handed. Right Trigger's the fire button. Still, the lock-on feature (which I wish you could change to the Left Trigger like Zelda) eliminates a lot of shooting/dodging woes.

-Music, acting, general look and feel all excellent.

-It's a pity Chrys "strafe-jumps" instead of just "strafes", but otherwise this is a great 3rd-person action-platformer for the DS. Just take note of the words "for the DS". They're important.

-Only saves at end of the level. Dang.

-Adventure sections well handled as you'd expect. That said...

... I'm stuck!! I'll have a go again, but it's just on the second adventure section (which is straight after the first "tutorial" adventure bit). I've found the dud mine and the sandbag, but I can't work out how to get the other two! I suspect I have to cut the rope and open the box, but I can't figure out how!!

The game is really good. The only problem I have is the inability to save within missions. The missions are easily finishable in a sitting but if you get stuck in a point 'n click adventure section and want to turn the system off too bad.

The complaints about the action controls from the reviews are exaggerated. The controls are simple but the difficulty of the stages reflects that. Insecticide is basically a point 'n click adventure game except when something interesting happens like, "We've got to chase down a suspect!" you actually get to chase them down and shoot at them.

I totally agree. Hopefully the PC version will have a save function too.

Jason, I assume you've got past the bit I've mentioned above. I've obviously missed something vital somewhere. The level's 'Buzz Kill'. I've got the dud mine, the sandbag, the script, the very broken bit of paperclip and the turnkey. What the hell do I do? I feel a right moron.

• 2 months later...

Archived