Home

Liberia's president prosecuted in world court for ordering troops to eat people

Jvstice

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/03/13/warcrimes.taylor.ap/index.html

He repeatedly said nothing was done without Taylor's instructions, and that anyone who violated Taylor's orders would be executed.

"Did Charles Taylor order you to eat people?" Griffith asked.

"Yes, to set an example for the people to be afraid," Marzah replied.

He appeared unfazed by Griffith's blunt queries, and responded in matter-of-fact tones to such questions as "How do you prepare a human being for the pot?"

Marzah then described the splitting, cleaning, decapitating and cooking of the corpse with salt and pepper. "We throw your head away," he said.

He said the victims were usually from the ethnic Krahn, the tribe of former Liberian President Samuel Doe whom Taylor set out to topple in 1989. But they also included peacekeepers from the Nigerian-led ECOMOG, the African peacekeeping force sent to the area in 1990, and some U.N. people, he said.

"How many ECOMOG soldiers did you eat?" the attorney asked.

"We ate a few but not many. But many were executed, about 68," the witness said, and several U.N. personnel also were captured. The time and location of the incident were unclear.

Oi... this is... disturbing. I don't really know what to say, except that this is horrible. Humanity really has some major problems. Those poor people... Every single day, more horrible things happen, more than ever before in the past, and these kinds of horrible things are tending to occur more and more often now... It's really sad...

"Yes, to set an example for the people to be afraid," Marzah replied.

Wow. Afraid to be eaten.

I have to say that that is quite horrible. A leader, no less, ordering people to do something as vile as that. Absolutly horrible!

I think the most disturbing article I've read about something like this would be this one, that describes the more-than-sorry state of the DRC.

It's creepy how something that seems to bizarre to us, the civilized, educated and know-all-judge-all people is actually a common reality somewhere in the world.

His intentions are the creepiest thing of all.

Back on the colonization, the european explorers would find some cannibalism among the indian tribes on the South America. The natives intentions weren't to creep out their enemies nor make them as example. It was part of their culture and their beliefs that only by eating their enemies flesh they would achieve complete victory and earn their strength. Of course the "comprehensible" europeans didn't liked that and slayed/enslaved all the tribes the church could not protect.

Back on the african continent, seeing as that's not their culture, or not anymore, the president actions alone are a violation of every treaty or agreement you can think of.

I think the most disturbing article I've read about something like this would be this one, that describes the more-than-sorry state of the DRC.

It's creepy how something that seems to bizarre to us, the civilized, educated and know-all-judge-all people is actually a common reality somewhere in the world.

Indeed. That is very VERY horrible. I have heard either this story, or one very similar to this story. It is absolutely horrible.

It is taboo to us.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived