Home

Female Gamers

Jae Onasi

Now, are there a lot of girls playing GW, or are a lot of people playing as girls?

I'd say C) Both of the above is probably closest to the truth. Seems to be a pretty good mix in the guild where Jae and I are members of at least. Ranging from teenagers to mothers with adult children (who are also playing). MMOs in general seems to have a much broader appeal across gender and age categories than most other games.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
theres the group of girls who never get in trouble (no offense if there are any here)
No comment :p

but seriously you never even hear them udder like crap at all.
Nyeh? I do not understand.

High heels aren't *that* bad, but only wear them if you're sure that you'll have somewhere to sit:/

I'd say C) Both of the above is probably closest to the truth. Seems to be a pretty good mix in the guild where Jae and I are members of at least. Ranging from teenagers to mothers with adult children (who are also playing). MMOs in general seems to have a much broader appeal across gender and age categories than most other games.

I would chalk that up to there being more play styles available. Cooperative to solo, to competitive. The hack and slash to the careful planned out attack.

Now, are there a lot of girls playing GW, or are a lot of people playing as girls?

Girls playing. I don't count the female avatars--I don't subscribe to the idea that on the internetz if the person has a female avatar, the person must be female.

When I listen to the local channel they typically will reveal gender at some point. Granted, some could be lying, but most of the kiddies reveal way too much about themselves anyway, so it's not hard to find out. And as stoffe mentioned above, we have a significant number of active females in our guild, too.

Girls playing. I don't count the female avatars--I don't subscribe to the idea that on the internetz if the person has a female avatar, the person must be female.

apparently the idiots who try and hit on me do. What's up with that? To girls who play as guy PCs: do you ever get hit on by girls?

When I listen to the local channel they typically will reveal gender at some point. Granted, some could be lying, but most of the kiddies reveal way too much about themselves anyway, so it's not hard to find out. And as stoffe mentioned above, we have a significant number of active females in our guild, too.

I'm not going to question you're familiarity with your own guild members or all them "l33t kiddies" who can't shut it(which is typically why I avoid MMOs).

apparently the idiots who try and hit on me do. What's up with that? To girls who play as guy PCs: do you ever get hit on by girls?
I played a male character in SWG for a brief while (unfortunately not long enough to get hit on) but I made the character specifically to see how female players would treat me. Eventually I got bored and dragged another of my female friends into that server with a guy toon and we totally played a gay couple. :lol:

Harmless to everyone else, naturally, except the homophobes who perceived it as a threat to their sexuality. :p

Define "hit on"? And I think by that you don't mean a speedy delivery of a giant club on the head. Well, that WAS a way to pick up chicks I guess, back in the caveman dayz.

Well, I think the general public's idea is that:

Female avatar = Both guys and girls RL.

Male avatar = Guys RL only (which is obviously wrong)

To be fair, you do get treated more nicely when you play a female avatar (esp when its hot and/or pretty), even if everyone knows that you are a guy.

But really, I know quite some girls that would play as males. rp or not rp.

I personally would choose a character/avatar of my liking with the right feel should I choose to rp. And if I wanna go grind and hack and slash I would just use the weirdest looking one, or one with an advantage in its physical looks (harder to see etc). If you are not doing rp mind as well min/max it to teh max.

I personally would choose a character/avatar of my liking with the right feel should I choose to rp. And if I wanna go grind and hack and slash I would just use the weirdest looking one, or one with an advantage in its physical looks (harder to see etc). If you are not doing rp mind as well min/max it to teh max.

races and sexes seem to be getting boiled down as of late, it seems like game developers are trying not to look racist or sexist, which no matter what anyone argues, there are at lest differences in fantasy races, they were designed that way, duh.

I played a male character in SWG for a brief while (unfortunately not long enough to get hit on) but I made the character specifically to see how female players would treat me. Eventually I got bored and dragged another of my female friends into that server with a guy toon and we totally played a gay couple. :lol:

Harmless to everyone else, naturally, except the homophobes who perceived it as a threat to their sexuality. :p

hmmm, I have a male friend who also plays a female character, I do notice that when he's around nobody bothers me. I suspect it's something of the same reason. *shudder* Players REALLY need to get a grip....

Hey! I got some public marriage demands: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/marry_torra.jpg :p (that's how LF used to look 3 yrs ago)

And, although I am not sure, I think I was using that very gender neutral avatar at that time :o

:lol: I'm no doctor, but would it be even possible to strangle someone with a human spine?

You'd probably have to use a contortionist's spine. Like one of those Cirque De Solei(sp) performers. Of course, with how jagged the spine is, it might just tear up your next before actually choking them.

Thank you for the advice on how to best strangle me with various bits of anatomy. -_-

So shall we get back to female gamers then? :p

Yeah, killing you would be a bad idea, I need you...

to correct/ give tips on my 3D models once in awhile, as I'm such a shmuck o_Q

Anywany, on topic: Me and my Sister often play GW together, actually almost my whole family seems to play GW, got our own little Guild :p

But I guess most girls/women that like games often like Fantasy and SF movies/comics, you name it.

Though I get the impression they get odd views by other fem friends because of that.

Its weird that this stil kinds of seen as only boys stuff...

It's not quite the 1950's anymore, but mental perceptions don't change in 50 years; take a poll of men and see how many of them still think women are best at cooking and cleaning. It's just taboo to say it out loud... which I guess is better than no progress at all. :p

Gaming is still considered 'a guy thing' because girls are still seen as bubbly shopaholics who are too busy getting their nails done. It's all about stereotypes and perception. Doesn't mean that a good amount of girls don't enjoy occasionally knocking your block off with a crowbar. :xp:

When was the last time you ever saw a man who wasn't a professional chef do a decent job cooking, Inyri?
I don't think I've ever met a man (who cooked) who was bad at it. Typically people who are bad at cooking don't cook, regardless of whether they are men or women. And just in case it wasn't clear, I don't know any chefs.
And, for that matter, when was the last time you ever saw a man who wasn't totally insane do a good job cleaning?
I think you're doing your gender a disservice, unless you're actually being sarcastic about this (in which case your eSarcasm needs work). Stereotypes are bad for the goose and the gander.

Archived