Home

Female Gamers

Jae Onasi

Not necessarily true Jae, You look at the demographic of those who refused to pay for it as negative income. You don't want to keep making games for those that won't pay for it.

aside: I think for the most part this is why there is a trend away from PC games that only include the initial purchase price as the total cost. I also think that is the reason for the trend to MMO marketing for PC games.

On Topic: Women and gaming are as varied as men in their play style preferences. (generalization warning)They do however present a challenge in that they also tend to expect more of a story than men. Catering to this would not harm gaming for other gamers, but it would require more thought put into the games. Though I guess it's possible it would negatively impact the hackandslashinstantactionbigboomies gamers.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is always FPS for them, they would just skip the dialogues and go straight for the kill everything in sight primary missions.

Plus, we already establish that we will NOT care for the highheels lady gamers, as they already have myspace as the playground. We don't really need a myspace simulation game.

FPS and hack and slash games don't really need a story anyway, so I doubt it would make a difference anywho.
You're not serious, are you? Some of the best (and most enjoyable) SP campaigns I've ever played were FPS or hack'n'slash. If little boys just want to shoot things, that's why games have multiplayer and/or bot matches. :)

You're not serious, are you? Some of the best (and most enjoyable) SP campaigns I've ever played were FPS or hack'n'slash. If little boys just want to shoot things, that's why games have multiplayer and/or bot matches. :)

"ok Hank, there's some baddies on the next level, avoid the snipers, kill them all."

shoot...shoot...shoot...grenade...win!

"okay hank, there's a big ugly alien on the next level protected by snipers. kill them all and grab the box of alien goo."

shoot shoot shoot....rocket launcher....win!

yeah...FPS really need a story....no, they just point you in the right direction and tell you who to kill.

yeah...FPS really need a story....no, they just point you in the right direction and tell you who to kill.

Allow me to disagree. Heard of little something called Bioshock?

Besides, that's why we have plot on all games, isn't it? An excuse, or motivator, for the slaughter or fun to take place and still make sense (or not).

there is always FPS for them, they would just skip the dialogues and go straight for the kill everything in sight primary missions.

Plus, we already establish that we will NOT care for the highheels lady gamers, as they already have myspace as the playground. We don't really need a myspace simulation game.

The point is that spending a little extra time developing a story through the game might be seen as a negative for the ones that just want the instant action. Ya know more like, "Oh <insert diety>, more plot. I just want to get back to fighting." Honestly though if it attracts more females to games, I can't see spending a little extra time in development to come up with a good story.

Another thing that might help is not being so mammary focussed in the character design. And for that matter not being so freaking focussed on gaining biblical knowledge of every female in the game.

Another thing that might help is not being so mammary focussed in the character design. And for that matter not being so freaking focussed on gaining biblical knowledge of every female in the game.

Yeah, frankly, I could do w/o a lot of the "romances" you get in games.

The problem with romances in games is usually there's not enough character development (on either end) to make it believable. I can be convinced that people can fall in love very quickly... but I mean come on. Some of these even push that envelope.

The problem with romances in games is usually there's not enough character development (on either end) to make it believable. I can be convinced that people can fall in love very quickly... but I mean come on. Some of these even push that envelope.

Revan and Bastila immediately come to mind.

I know a lot of people complained about the lack of romance in K2, but I say good riddance. Mr Avellone has admitted in the past that he can't write romances, and so he has given up even trying (unlike some people we know :p).

He could have delegated the romance part to one of the other writers on the team. I expect that in a game (especially as they get shorter), the romances are going to be rather superficial. I'm from Wisconsin after all, and I do know my cheese. However, I still like having the 'hero and heroine save the world and fall in love' option at least.

I'm from Wisconsin after all, and I do know my cheese.
:rofl: Jae, you make my day. Consistently.

I think the 'superficial love story' is what attracts some people. Finding that 'special someone' in real life is hard enough. Games are meant to be ideal, no? Fall in love in 5 mins: perfection!

I may have said it was unrealistic, but I don't think I ever said I didn't like it -- or expect it in a game, for that matter. :p

Of course my hidden point was "make KotOR longer! >.>" *dons halo*

I'm from Wisconsin after all, and I do know my cheese.

No limburger, please. :xp: I appreciate options as much as anyone in gameplay, but agree with JCarter that the absence of it in TSL didn't bother me. If it DOES have to be there, make it fun (not mushy/sappy).

Something to make the blood of a female gamer possibly boil (or snort in derision, anyway).

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3613881.ece

It bothered me because it wasn't absent -- it was there, but you couldn't do anything with it. Since they cut out half the game, you got a broken half of a romance arc. That's obnoxious -- you either have to add it or not add it. You can't go halfway >.>

It bothered me because it wasn't absent -- it was there, but you couldn't do anything with it. Since they cut out half the game, you got a broken half of a romance arc. That's obnoxious -- you either have to add it or not add it. You can't go halfway >.>

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of a resolved (however halfassed) romance angle. In TSL it's like a big tease act b/c of its being rushed to market. Chalk it up as one more incomplete aspect of an otherwise decent game.

@Death's Head: That game is an abomination, and this is coming from a man. I loathe bimbo-ism with every fiber of my being.

Not that I don't like hot chicks; I just don't think that bimbos are hot. ;)

• 1 month later...

Heh, well to add my two cents to this topic, I know that there are masses of Atton Rand fangirls out there, who plead and beg on more than a few TSL forums for an Atton romance enhancement.

I mean, have you seen how many Exile/Atton fanarts are out there?

I can't say I minded having a rather cute scoundrel hitting on you...mainly in the beginning of the game, though from a plot perspective, it did need something more. Didn't you get annoyed at the fact you could only ask him for a game of Pazaak half the time?

I liked the KOTOR system, i.e after gaining a bit more experience, you progress your plot with each character.

It worked well and it felt more...real. TSL was indeed rushed and even if I loved the story to death, I was highly disappointed.

The games I truly respect and find playable are the ones with a good, intruiging plot, in-depth characters, challenging yet rewarding gameplay and versatile enemies. KOTOR had this, TSL did not as much.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough. :3

The main point was...though I didn't get to it, that a good romance plot can be key to a good story. After all, every story has some kind of love in it, you can't deny that.

Archived