Home

Female Gamers

Jae Onasi

What happened to make so many male gamers seem to only be intersted in the violent aspects of a game? Personally I'd attribute it to marketing, making it look like that's the only way to be a "man".

While women were nursing the children and the males were out killing animals, evolution happened. More interested in killing = more food for family = survival. We're just wired differently.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While women were nursing the children and the males were out killing animals, evolution happened. More interested in killing = more food for family = survival. We're just wired differently.

except, men don't need to be out killing to get food anymore. In fact, hardly anyone goes out and hunts for food(besides fishing). I'm not arguing we're wired differently, it just seems male gamers seem to attribute combat with a good game and story and stuff seems to be relegated to females.

except, men don't need to be out killing to get food anymore. In fact, hardly anyone goes out and hunts for food(besides fishing).[/Quote]

Wait, so you don't wrestle bears for your evening meals? :xp:

I'm not arguing we're wired differently, it just seems male gamers seem to attribute combat with a good game and story and stuff seems to be relegated to females.

That's something that bothers me too. I'm averse to too much violence in a game - I like a good story more than rearranging somebody's face with a bullet. But that doesn't make me a girl.

In fact, most gamers I know (male and female) like a story more than shooting.

• 1 month later...
This is what Ubisoft thinks of girl gamers...

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/515G9qXJmoL._SS500_.jpg

...how does this make you feel?

2ro6ich.jpg

But, on the current topic, I think it really, honestly, varies person to person. There are shooters with a good story, and rpgs with a terrible story.

I personally believe story for female gamers is a stereotype as much as violence is for male. I'll personally play anything that I find interesting at the time, or pulls me in enough for me to pay it attention.

Final Fantasy, Gears of War.

Sims, Grand Theft Auto.

Spore, Turok.

Zoo Tycoon, Half-Life.

Same goes for my sister. Who was the first to buy Halo? My sister for her PC, and she played it like crazy. The first to get and play GTA3? My sister. She loves that game, and loved the weapons and gore cheats available.

I have a friend, and all she has is a Wii and a PS2. So, she plays Final fantasy and such. I handed her No More Heroes and said it was one of the best games she had ever played.

50% of gamers are female, if we show it off or not. Whether it be Guitar Hero (Which girls ****ing love), World Of Warcraft (Almost half of my 50 or so person guild was female), or Halo (More girls play this than guys would like to admit), we are pretty much even nowadays.

Currently, the female market loves the Sims which is not surprising. Its like house when you were a kid, but now with fire and shame. And why is The Sims series still #1 in games played? Because a lot of the female market loves them some Sims. I remember reading in a magazine poll once that, for female gamers, the #1 game is usually Sims and the second was... guess what? Halo 3.

Sure, I like a good story. And really, who hates a good story? Who sits down and sees a good story and just breaks the disk in half? Even though good is relative, everyone likes a good story and especially one tacked onto a great game.

And to blow a few more stereotypes out of the water, both me and my sister -LOVE- Tomb Raider games and Lara Croft.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

50% of gamers are female, if we show it off or not. Whether it be Guitar Hero (Which girls ****ing love), World Of Warcraft (Almost half of my 50 or so person guild was female), or Halo (More girls play this than guys would like to admit), we are pretty much even nowadays.

I wished.

'The gaming industry has market characteristics that many would die for.' According to IBISWorld, 38 per cent of US gamers are female, up from 33 per cent in just five years.

From January through August of 2008 females ages 18 to 45 made up 28 per cent of the total industry revenue, ranking second to males ages 18 to 45, who made up 37 per cent.

Source

From my personal experience, most girls are willing to join the gaming world but somehow scared of doing so. My last girlfriend would initially only play The Sims, daily. Slowly, I managed to introduce her to some games, but the only one she really got into was Kingdom Hearts (which took her two long months to beat, with me always by her side), the rest she felt that was out of her grasp, despite my efforts.

Although we still meet to play Kingdom Hearts II from time to time, so I call that a win.

I wished.

Source

From my personal experience, most girls are willing to join the gaming world but somehow scared of doing so. My last girlfriend would initially only play The Sims, daily. Slowly, I managed to introduce her to some games, but the only one she really got into was Kingdom Hearts (which took her two long months to beat, with me always by her side), the rest she felt that was out of her grasp, despite my efforts.

Although we still meet to play Kingdom Hearts II from time to time, so I call that a win.

Key word: revenue.

We are less inclined to run out and buy games, as more often than not we get them second hand, from friends, by renting, etc.

Guys, more often than girls, will be the ones outside stores at 2am getting the games. We are the ones waiting at home ready to play it.

So, what should devs/gaming companies do to appeal to more females? More social interaction in MMOs? More role-playing games? Is there something in 'male games' that could be changed to make it more female friendly, if it should be changed in the first place? Should we work towards games that appeal to both genders or should there be 'male-friendly games' and 'female-friendly games'?
Melrose Place meets Knights of the Old Republic? :roleyess: I have a hard time watching theCW. Roleplaying games are trying to mix things up; however, the developers keep rolling out the Neeshka character types. Whiney, whiney, whiney. Female characters need more of an edge. Don't get me started on perky with swords. That can stay in Japan.

tbh i never see any female gamers on the games i play. (I mainly play fps games on the pc, Quake Live atm) So this whole female gamer revolution is something i have completely missed really. There are some girls i know of that play WoW but that's about it.

Maybe girls prefer singleplayer games? :confused:

I doubt such a generalization would cover everyone, but as a female I find a lot of my kind prefer rpgs over fps. I personally prefer single-player games like Oblivion or (surprise!) KotOR. I hardly speak for everyone here, however! I suspect you'd be surprised how many girls there are on mmos of all types.

The thing I find with most mmos, and this is hardly a gender thing, is that it's difficult to immerse oneself in the storyline. Guild wars is the exception (in my limited experience), but I found the heavy emphasis on cooperative play annoying. I work alone, like an assassin. Or a crazy hermit. I'm a bit of a control freak. :)

The girls I'm friends with aren't really gamers... the best they do is play Singstar, Wii Sports and Wii Fit. My girlfriend played Mario Kart 64 with me back in the day and liked to play a few GBA games. She'd steal my GBA so many times that I ended up getting one for her birthday one year... she actually bought Metroid Fusion when it came out which was a real turn on lol.

Other than that, the only women I know who play games just as much as guys do are the ones I find on the net.

I don't understand why you guys think that female gamers don't like shooting/violent games..?

I grew up watching my father play Hitman... Okay, well I was like, seven. But I LOVE a good violent game... (Bioshock!! ^.^)

But then again, I do love RPGs with beautiful stories, you really need to vary it because if you're constantly playing bloody, disgusting games you can fry your brain. *nodnod*

It's kind of insulting when you think about it, but that's where the game industry has gone... Women like less violent games and men love the shooter games with scantily clad women... Need I say more? I think we should be INSULTED by the sterotypes that have been granted to each of our genders in the gaming community! :emodanc:

I am, always in the mood for a good skirmish in Battlefront II though. =3

I grew up watching my father play Hitman... Okay, well I was like, seven. But I LOVE a good violent game... (Bioshock!! ^.^)
I grew up watching my father play the original Legend of Zelda when it first came out. You people need to stop being so young. >.>

By the way, I grew watching my father playing Wolfenstein 3d. And watching my mom develop a strong rash to games. :xp:

Key word: revenue.

We are less inclined to run out and buy games, as more often than not we get them second hand, from friends, by renting, etc.

Guys, more often than girls, will be the ones outside stores at 2am getting the games. We are the ones waiting at home ready to play it.

It would also seem that guys are more open about it too. I don't remember the last time I saw a group or even a pair of women discussing the latest gaming hit.

I don't understand why you guys think that female gamers don't like shooting/violent games..?

But then again, I do love RPGs with beautiful stories, you really need to vary it because if you're constantly playing bloody, disgusting games you can fry your brain. *nodnod*

Wait, are you saying you don't think that Bioshock is a RPG with a beautiful story? :raise:

Archived