Home

Incoming new version in 9001...9000...8999

Maxstate

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you can fire twice in about 1.5 second and that's all you need to kill anyone without a saber. We'll make it easier to snipe with, though.

@KARODAR:

Ask Ernie what he thinks should be done about saberlocks. I think we should make the quick ones much quicker and cut off some frames so it isn't a full lock but kind of like a really long-winded parry.

I don't remember what we agreed on for the hud, but since its a simple change and it will help noobs understand a bit more it might be a good idea to do that. And heck, maybe we should consider changing the 'dodge' meter to a "dodge/block" meter since thats really what it is too. I doubt we could squeeze that into this hud so it would probably have to wait. I just figure it would go towards making new people less confused initially.

Because you can fire twice in about 1.5 second and that's all you need to kill anyone without a saber. We'll make it easier to snipe with, though.

Well there's also a very annoying bug; it happens only sometimes, but it really screws up things. Sometimes when you shoot with Disruptor in scope and quickly go out of scope, you can't shoot and switch weapons for quite a time (mostly long enough to kill you).

Any suggestions?

Ask Ernie what he thinks should be done about saberlocks. I think we should make the quick ones much quicker and cut off some frames so it isn't a full lock but kind of like a really long-winded parry.

Ernie what do you thi... no, that's not a cookie. No it's not! No no please, not my eyes! Only not eyeeeeeeaaaaaa*ymmm yummy yummy cookiez jaks were caputer the flag?????*

Med, you didn't understand me. They should be longer, more powerful and more interactive. All you can do know is to wait or break it. It could be like that: left mouse bottom - click fast to win, right mouse bottom - click to bounceback or knock down (depends on mishap), both mouse bottoms - insta kill, fatal1ty etc. If someone would win the saberlock normally, he would for example make nice combo which would take 50 dodge points.

I know what you mean but we'd have to rethink the entire system to make them work in a way that'd be bound to someone's skill and not the amount of DP they have. Furthermore, I really advise against taking saber locks and doing something that drastic to them. I personally am of opinion that once they get used more, they'll get used too much and then in the end, won't be used at all. Afterwards we can expect people coming to the forums demanding more changes.

I'd rather have the saberlocks be a visual aid that you can use at times to break the monotony of all of your saber fights. Or maybe make it so that it works like a player-deterrent for when facing multiple enemies? Making it key to the combat in OJP, though, not if I have anything to do with it :)

With the current Euro exchange rates, I'd probably be able to hire 2 American coders for the price of a kebab. ;P ;o

True that

If we have to prioritze, go for the witcher, I never played it but I heard it was great. JA + uses the .sab system that can discern between swords and sabers and where they should go on the body, maybe we should kidnap their codemonkey. And then when we're done, we can ransome him back. Problem solved, we get two codemonkeys and the ransome money!

The witcher was/is great, but it's plagued by some problems typical of its genre and generation. First, too little freedom. You can't go everywhere you please, even in an open field you'll be held back by slightly-larger-than-normal bushes. Second, the combat is too easy. The latter is a recurring theme in today's games.. sadly.

Play Assassin's creed and you'll know what I mean. You can win all of the battles in that game by just timing two buttons.

I know what you mean but we'd have to rethink the entire system to make them work in a way that'd be bound to someone's skill and not the amount of DP they have. Furthermore, I really advise against taking saber locks and doing something that drastic to them. I personally am of opinion that once they get used more, they'll get used too much and then in the end, won't be used at all. Afterwards we can expect people coming to the forums demanding more changes.

I'd rather have the saberlocks be a visual aid that you can use at times to break the monotony of all of your saber fights. Or maybe make it so that it works like a player-deterrent for when facing multiple enemies? Making it key to the combat in OJP, though, not if I have anything to do with it :)

As a person who practices swordfighting I can tell you that real swordlocks or "binds" result in either a break like we have in ojp or death for the unfortunate guy. They don't last long, you just quickly decide if he's pushing or releasing and do the opposite. If he's hard at the sword you go soft taking away what he was pushing against(throwing him off balance) and come around attacking a different quarter. If he goes soft then you power through. It's called "feeling". I for one, like the locks how they are in ojp and would only wish for a few extra animations so that not every lock and instant kill looks the same. The only technical change I would make is to have it so that locks could be initiated by the defender as well as the attacker, but I have no idea if that's possible to code in. A sort of "parry lock" where you maybe just tap both attack buttons while holding the correct direction to parry the incoming blow. Oh, and I'd love a toggle setting to make all locks lethal unless you break. Gameplay would be intense and difficult but realistic. These are just my suggestions and please understand I'm not trying to sound holier than thou by mentioning that I practice real swordfighting. I just want to offer ideas when I have them because ojp's the closest thing to the real deal when you're too bruised up to play outside.

...Did you forget I've been ripping you all new ones with a controller like that for years?

I wonder if he uses the controller I do... care to spill the beans?

Logitech Dual Action Gamepad. So fun.

We use to have it that attack parries caused saberlocks too, but that just made for way more saberlocks then anybody wanted in combat..of course at the time we had attack parry set up in such a way that it happened alot more and often randomly.

As far as saberlocks are concerned, I'm really not that comfortable with making them in a reaction based way for an actual move. Lag and ping and greatly effect that as far as who moves first and thats one of the reasons why are saberlocks are the way they are now. If we do another saberlock thing random or otherwise, I'm thinking it should be more for visual change up and not able to be fought, just a pause lock that can be broken almost immediately with no consequences. As far as saberlocks killing all the time, I;m not so sure enough people would like that enough to even warrent a toggle for it. We've had builds in the past where attackfeints were spammed to death and I think most of us are pretty happy those days are gone :p

Second, the combat is too easy. The latter is a recurring theme in today's games.. sadly.

Play Assassin's creed and you'll know what I mean. You can win all of the battles in that game by just timing two buttons.

I rather like the Assassin's Creed combat system. You're right that it's pretty easy, but it's still possible to get ripped if you get pinned down.

Side Note: I think the biggest problem with Assassin's Creed is that it feels like they were making a set piece rather than a game. Apprenently they didn't think that you'd get bored with doing the same 4 missions over-and-over again.

Archived