Home

Incoming new version in 9001...9000...8999

Maxstate

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because JA+ did it doesn't mean it's better. :p

The most efficient and logical place to sheath a sword would probably be the belt over the back; it would be easier to get at out in the real world. Remember, not ever sword mod is a 6-foot-long block of steel with a handle. I mean... how many anime weapons are there out there? :xp:

ah, one other tweak:

make it so that swords are strapped across the back so you don't have massive blades on your belt dragging over the ground.

JA + did this so I know it's possible.

Maybe if its easy to do. We have more important things to focus on right now since we're trying to get a build out soon. Some of the bugs we're dealing with are hard to figure out. We might get around to that eventually.

Hey Inyri, good to see you on this forum :)

I vote for original Red stance swings. I always thought they looked the coolest in base jka even though they were way too slow. If Djem-so deals the most powerful blows I think it should be 2 hands on the hilt at all times, except in returns. Maxstate, I appreciate your work but you know me, I'm a stickler for realism in the swordplay because of my extra curricular activities. Nevertheless, you're the guy doing all the work so I am as always content to bow to the OJP team's judgement. I fully realize that without you guys I would practice guitar more and get more fresh air and that would be unfortunate.(heheh) I also wonder about the newer "fold in half" knock down animation. It looked good for kicks but looked wierd for mishaps and hilt-bashes. Although I don't think it's in the latest version of 1.1. You guys know. I also continue to hope for bots with selectable saberstyles for specific practice. Oh and I hope the duel mode freeze issue can be resolved. These are my wishes, since you asked. I appreciate all your hard work and I still think this saber system should be patented and shopped to Lucasarts and every game that intends to have first person sword play. Imagine this combat system on an Elder Scrolls game....that would be mind-blowing.

Alright, red stance attacks are going back to normal. I've been getting too many complaints about that part of my creative endeavours, and I yield. ;P

Don't think too highly of the numberchanging I do, man. I just want to stay part of the players that enjoy the game instead of the players that get overwhelmed by the developer errors they see every time they play (and that situation is increasing in frequency lately :()

Also, swords on your back? Picture this: you just cut a huge gash in someone's jugular and the blood is dripping from your queer-ass sword. Are you going to put that bleeding chunk of metal on your back, where it'll mess up your armani suit of armor with its dripping?

Just because JA+ did it doesn't mean it's better. :p

The most efficient and logical place to sheath a sword would probably be the belt over the back; it would be easier to get at out in the real world. Remember, not ever sword mod is a 6-foot-long block of steel with a handle. I mean... how many anime weapons are there out there? :xp:

ROFL! haha, most of them are final fantasy related unfortunately (what's up with that?) but yeah, I know JA+ sucks, that's why I don't play it anymore, but the whole sword sheathing thing is a minor problem.

I still think this saber system should be patented and shopped to Lucasarts and every game that intends to have first person sword play. Imagine this combat system on an Elder Scrolls game....that would be mind-blowing.

wow, yeah, lot's of sparks!

Also, swords on your back? Picture this: you just cut a huge gash in someone's jugular and the blood is dripping from your queer-ass sword. Are you going to put that bleeding chunk of metal on your back, where it'll mess up your armani suit of armor with its dripping?

HAHA! someone using matrix skins? I'm talking about having katanas that look more like knee spikes because they stick out a foot and a half beyond yours. Oh, and staffs of all kinds, bo staffs, Magna Guard electrostaffs, amphistaffs, and other things that arent SW related, like spears, scythes, etc.

@Maxstate: With regards to sword on the back, would it be feasible to have it both ways? For instance have some type of variable in .sab for weapon authors to choose whether they want it to appear at the waist or the back. I think that'd be the best way to appeal to everyone (plus if you have like... a knife strapped to your back... seriously :xp: ).

Probably, but is the visual effect strong and important enough to warrant taking our codemonkey off of his other work? ;o

:eek:

;P

;o

I don't know, but that's why we have this thread. Who wants anime sword sheathing and who wants something more reminiscent of the witcher?

Imagine this combat system on an Elder Scrolls game....that would be mind-blowing.

You know, while I think it's a lot of fun for computer games, I'm not sure it could translate to consoles that well. I don't think you could move the analog stick fast enough.

Don't think too highly of the numberchanging I do, man. I just want to stay part of the players that enjoy the game instead of the players that get overwhelmed by the developer errors they see every time they play (and that situation is increasing in frequency lately :()

Yeah, you gotta be careful about that. That's pretty much what I always see when I'm playing. *Crap! That's broken....and that's broken....and that's broken*

The obvious solution here is get an additional codemonkey. Or alternatively buy one from China.

Buy American. Just need a million bucks in funding. :D

Also, wow, I love the new feature where double posts merge together. Very sweet.

You know, while I think it's a lot of fun for computer games, I'm not sure it could translate to consoles that well. I don't think you could move the analog stick fast enough.

I use a PS2 style controller for OJP and always have. The feel is great and I've even had comments from Hockney on my defense being good. I'm able to win defensively and offensively against bots with a handicap. I even turn up the saberanimspeed to 1.4ish sometimes. It took a few tries to get the buttons programmed to max efficiently but it's honestly great. Not saying I can beat Hock or Jackbaldy consistently but I don't get slaughtered. Sucks for guns because consoles have auto aim to help but I can execute all the saber and melee moves in Ojp with the controller. I strongly recommend the controller, it feels that much more like a sword fight moving an analog stick to parry and do combos rather than pushing w a s + d.

I just aim them with the right analog stick. I have all the aim requiring force powers mapped to buttons that don't interfere with aiming. There's 4 trigger buttons so I have those set to attack, kick/attack fake, push, and pull. I also have 1 of the right thumb buttons programmed as a shift key that changes all my buttons to secondary functions that are less important like weapon switching and styles. It took a while to get things efficient but it works well now. I'll admit that force powers would be easier with the mouse but i'm able to exploit a mishap with forcegrip when I want to. Oh, and I'm all for the power glove idea.

Archived