Home

Obama and Rev. Wright

Jae Onasi

Today's Fox coverage on Obama's speech and his relationship with Rev. Wright.

Rev. Wright has said some inflammatory comments that cannot be described in any other way than pure racism. Does Obama's close relationship with Wright affect how you view him? How is this going to affect Obama's message of bringing America together? How badly, if at all, does this affect Obama's campaign?

And on a moderator note, I'll be watching this thread carefully. Racism as a topic is fair game. Making denigrating or racist comments will be dealt with swiftly.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dislike Obama with a passion, but I don't like the whole furor, and I would be highly disappointed if Obama loses because of this event instead of losing due to his inexperience or liberal policy views. I mean, this is the rare time in which I actually agree with Obama's rhetoric on Rev. Wright, and I can see where Rev. Wright is coming from (not his conclusion that if you vote for Obama, everything will be okay), even if I highly disagree with Rev. Wright's viewpoints.

I mean, hack, the entire news event actually justifies Obama's message of hope and ending racism once and for all. However, I will not vote for Obama in 2008 because of the major policy differences I hold with Obama, as well as his inexperience and incompetence. That's it. We got more important things to worry about. Kosovo may go up in flames. Iraq's flames are being put out. The US Dollar is already a flaming wreckage. And China is wanting to lit the Olympic flame. All these things are far more important than...well...this.

Eh. Could be worse. We could have a topic on Britteny Spears.

Well, Freedom of Speech lets the Rev say whatever he wants. If he wants to back Obama, I say let him. It is interesting that Obama has not tried harder to keep the Rev out of the light though. Everybody has the one racist and raving friend or family member that you love but disagree with, and I respect Obama for staying by his associate, but the Rev does indeed seem to be damaging his message of hope.

I gotta give Obama a little credit, he's at least sticking by a man instead of dropping him like a hot potato like you'd expect from most politicians. Still, I'm doing a little jig - as much as I dislike John McCain, I dislike Obama even more, and I think Obama actually has a chance of winning, unlike dear old Hilary.

If Obama disagrees with all the rascist things his pastor is saying then he should go and join a new church.
Why? I don’t agree with everything my pastor or my church says, but I’m not joining another church. I’m comfortable where I am, I know and like the other members. I don’t agree with my churches views on politics, homosexuals, evolution, drinking or dancing, but I don’t see any reason to find another church. Like Obama my pastor brought me to God, doesn’t that mean anything?
Rev. Wright has said some inflammatory comments that cannot be described in any other way than pure racism.

"I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you, This is not a message of hate -- this is a message of redemption. But a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation. It'll bring about terrorist bombs; it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor." [/Quote]

"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharaoh's charioteers ... AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."[/Quote]

Reverend Jeremiah A Wright was born September 22, 1941. Before we condemn Rev. Wright too much let us remember American History and the treatment of the African-American during his informative years. I believe his statements on Aids and 9/11/2001 are just as crazy as some of Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell’s, but let’s not forget what the American Government did to 399 African-Americans during the Tuskegee Study. It that light, his statement about Aids is not that farfetched. Maybe it is, but I did not have to live through the racism Reverend Wright has.

Does Obama's close relationship with Wright affect how you view him?[/Quote] Yes, but less that McCain’s relationship with President Bush and the GOP.

How is this going to affect Obama's message of bringing America together?[/Quote] It will tone down how his message is receive, but it still sound better to me than 100 years in Iraq.

How badly, if at all, does this affect Obama's campaign? [/Quote]It will affect the campaign, but it will not affect my vote for Obama or by some miracle Clinton. It will affect the south, but I did not figure Obama would win most of those States anyway.

Yeah, mimartin, but let's also remember that our beloved government hasn't been too picky about its guniea pigs since the end of WW2 (and possibly even earlier). Seems to me that we should be as leery of Obama's support of Wright as we'd be if someone failed to disassociate themselves from a David Duke. Wright is an Albatros and Obama would be wise to put further distance between them as he pursues his bid for the WH.

Right. Being exposed to Racism makes Racism okay. That makes sense. It's good to know that since I've been called a cracker, I've been liberated to begin rampant use of the various slurs for Blacks and Arabs.

And, Mimartin, we've been in Japan for sixty years. Korea for fifty. We haven't had overt military action in either of those places for about that much time, too. Just because we're present doesn't mean we're fighting there, it means we have bases there. And we'd be pretty stupid not to keep a base or three in Iraq.

Right. Being exposed to Racism makes Racism okay. That makes sense. It's good to know that since I've been called a cracker, I've been liberated to begin rampant use of the various slurs for Blacks and Arabs.
No, it does not and I never wrote it did. I just can see his point of view even if I do not agree with it. I also know if someone grows up in a certain environment, it can have lasting repercussions to their personality. Mel Gibson anyone?

And we'd be pretty stupid not to keep a base or three in Iraq.
Yes, one of the thing that will keep the Islamic Extremist Terrorist movement going is staying in one of their holy lands for 100 years, so I’m smart enough to know we should stay at all cost. The war on terrorism is going to be as productive as the war on drugs.

Yes, one of the thing that will keep the Islamic Extremist Terrorist movement going is staying in one of their holy lands for 100 years, so I’m smart enough to know we should stay at all cost. The war on terrorism is going to be as productive as the war on drugs.

What do you think McCain is telling straight talk when he says he's going to stay in Iraq for 100 years? He's only state that would happen if only a few American troops die in Iraq every year (since people are against the war because Americans are dying, and if Americans are not dying, then it's not as bad). Since it is obivous that more than a few American troops are dying in Iraq every year, McCain could use it as an excuse to speed up the timeframe in which he hopes to keep troops in Iraq...maybe only 10 years? 5 years? 1 year?

Mimartin, the Islamic Extremists aren't going to stop if we turn tail and run out of their lands with our proverbial tails tucked between our legs. There's only one way to deal with people like this, and where I come from, it's called 5.56x45mm NATO.

So you do not believe we are creating Extremists by being there? Are the deaths of the estimated 89,751 Iraqi civilian creating future terrorist? Or are we killing at a fast enough rate to keep up with the new supply? No, Extremist are not going to stop if we leave, but we might not create a new generation of Extremist if we leave.

I’m not for leaving until we get the country back up and running, but I am totally against staying a moment after that. I would not want foreign invades coming into Texas, why would I expect the Iraqi people to enjoy the experience.

Mimartin, the Islamic Extremists aren't going to stop if we turn tail and run out of their lands with our proverbial tails tucked between our legs. There's only one way to deal with people like this, and where I come from, it's called 5.56x45mm NATO.

So you do not believe we are creating Extremists by being there? Are the deaths of the estimated 89,751 Iraqi civilian creating future terrorist? Or are we killing at a fast enough rate to keep up with the new supply? No, Extremist are not going to stop if we leave, but we might not create a new generation of Extremist if we leave.

I’m not for leaving until we get the country back up and running, but I am totally against staying a moment after that. I would not want foreign invaders coming into Texas, why would I expect the Iraqi people to enjoy the experience.

He's only state that would happen if only a few American troops die in Iraq every year (since people are against the war because Americans are dying, and if Americans are not dying, then it's not as bad).
I wish he would define what he means by a “few.”

I'd wager you'll just encouage them to not stop. Pretty soon, you'll have them claiming that they have holy sites in north america w/in a century or three and that we should all return to the homelands of our european forebearers.....oh, wait.....they'll control those too. Then our options will be "better an Achmed than dead/better dead than an Achmed". :xp: But seriously, I don't buy the "we're breeding extremists if we don't leave" argument that's espoused by apologists of the do nothing and hope they go away school of thought.

I’m not for leaving until we get the country back up and running, but I am totally against staying a moment after that. I would not want foreign invades coming into Texas, why would I expect the Iraqi people to enjoy the experience.

You mean other than the Mexicans? :xp::p

Rev Wright holds pretty much the same views as the evangelical vote that got Bush elected. In fact, it would hardly surprise me if Wright voted for Bush in the last elections. That is to say, he holds the same views as probly some 10 million(adult) americans, so his views are entirely unsurprising. Considering the fact that he is a christian preacher, it's likly to say that his opinion is in the majority of that population, though his decision to not hold is tongue may or may not put him in the minority though, probly does.

It's nice that Obama isn't jumping ship on this guy like people would expect, and probably slam him for. But seriously, you're preacher, while possibly a good standard, is not the ONLY way to judge a person's opinions. You could, ya know, actually listen to what they're saying and not somebody trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.

I wish he would define what he means by a “few".

Actually, you know what? I finally dug up what he said and I realized I misquoted McCain wrong. Here was the actual statement:

"As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, it's fine with me and I hope it would be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where al Qaeda is training, recruiting, equipping and motivating people every single day."

So, basically, it's not a 'few' casualites, it's NO casualites at all. As long as nobody gets hurt, why not stay in Iraq for 100 years? Until we reach the 'no casualty' level, which is rather unlikely, McCain still got an opening to do a neo-Vietnamization and declare victory.

In fact, while digging up the whole 100-year McCain quote, I found a NY Times Article back in April 2007 that indicates another side of McCain:

In a discussion of how he would handle Iraq if elected president, Mr. McCain argued that the success of the Bush administration’s strategy, which seeks to protect Baghdad residents so Iraqi political leaders have an opportunity to pursue a program of political reconciliation, was essentially a precondition for a more limited American role that could follow.

“I am not guaranteeing that this succeeds,” said Mr. McCain, who has long argued that additional troops were needed. “I am just saying that I think it can. I believe it has a good shot.”

Mr. McCain methodically dismissed as unrealistic every other plan that has been proposed by Democrats as a substitute for Mr. Bush’s strategy, including those from Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware and Barack Obama of Illinois.

He said that if the Bush administration’s plan had not produced visible signs of progress by the time a McCain presidency began, he might be forced — if only by the will of public opinion — to end American involvement in Iraq.

“I do believe that history shows us Americans will not continue to support an overseas engagement involving the loss of American lives for an unlimited period of time unless they see some success,” he added. “And then, when they run out of patience, they will demand that we get out.”

There does seem to be more to McCain than meets his Republican lovers, and the Democratic Attack Machine too. IMHO, he is more hawkish than the Democrats, but more dovish than the Republicans.

Rev Wright holds pretty much the same views as the evangelical vote that got Bush elected. In fact, it would hardly surprise me if Wright voted for Bush in the last elections.

Rev Wright leads a liberal church. He's therefore part of the Religious Left, and wouldn't have voted for Bush anyway.

So, basically, it's not a 'few' casualites, it's NO casualites at all. [/Quote] In that case, we may be out the fastest if McCain is elected.

Rev Wright leads a liberal church. He's therefore part of the Religious Left, and wouldn't have voted for Bush anyway.

Agreed. Other than their belief in God, I don't see where his church has anything in common with the Religious Right. I wish I could say the same.

Well, I think society might be better reassured if Obama dumped his friend rather than defending him. Just to avoid the possiblity that Rev. Wright will still keep some influence in Obama's future government.

How much influence does any clergy person have over the average Americans life, business or personal? My preacher has been harping for years to vote Republican and even when I have voted Republican it had nothing to do with his sermon and everything to do with my own ill-conceived perception of the candidate. I also don’t listen to him when it comes to drinking, dancing… (too many to list).

There's only one way to deal with people like this, and where I come from, it's called 5.56x45mm NATO.

So, being exposed to terrorism makes terrorism OK? Got it.

My preacher has been harping for years to vote Republican and even when I have voted Republican it had nothing to do with his sermon and everything to do with my own ill-conceived perception of the candidate. I also don’t listen to him when it comes to drinking, dancing… (too many to list).

Just a question: If you don't listen to your preacher at all, why do you even keep going to church?

So, being exposed to terrorism makes terrorism OK? Got it.

Just a question: If you don't listen to your preacher at all, why do you even keep going to church?

He didn't say he doesn't listen to his preacher at all. He said he doesn't listen to some things said by the preacher.

Archived