Home

Obama and Rev. Wright

Jae Onasi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a question: If you don't listen to your preacher at all, why do you even keep going to church?
First as I wrote in post #7, I enjoy my church and the other members. I even like the pastor, but just because I like someone does not mean I have to agree with everything they say. I like and respect Achilles here, but I do not agree with everything he writes.

Darth Betrayal is correct I don’t agree with some of the things my pastor says, but on others I do agree with him.

I can read. I can think. Any relationship with real meaning has to be personal. If I were to marry, would it still be a personal relationship if I did everything a book or a marriage consular told me to do? Don’t you have to be willing to show part of your true self for there to be a real relationship? Those are also my feelings towards my relationship towards God. The pastor may guide me in that relationship, but I will not give up my free will and forfeit my intelligence to believe everything he says. Like I said, I can read and I have read more books than merely the Bible. When religious scholars, different religions and even different denominations cannot even agree on a single interpretation of a passage in Bible, why should I reject my own personal interpretation? That is the part of my personal relationship with God. I was raised in three different churches, so I don’t believe in any one denomination.

Well, it sounds like a lot more than just some. :giveup:
Possibly.

And a lot more than he is willing to admit. ;)
Most definitely. ;)

I don't agree with everything my hubby says--does that mean I should give him up? Being a church member does not mean you have to believe every single thing the pastor says. There are a couple areas I don't 100% agree with my pastor on, but I agree with a lot, if not most, of them. Also, the church provides a community of believers that get together and give each other love, support, sometimes physical and monetary assistance (like the church brought dinners to our home for the first 2 weeks after we had our daughter), and prayer. That's not something you can get going to a baseball game or a bar with a few friends.

Yeah, but how many white politicians could get away with being asociated with a preacher/mentor for over/~ 20 years that publicly espoused arguably racist or separatist views while going into a general election. Obama should be held to a similiar standard.

Yeah, but how many white politicians could get away with being asociated with a preacher/mentor for over/~ 20 years that publicly espoused arguably racist or separatist views while going into a general election. Obama should be held to a similiar standard.

Well, judging by the size of Strom Thurmond's funeral...many?

Well, judging by the size of Strom Thurmond's funeral...many?

When was Strom running for the presidency? But I don't doubt that there will be many people in attendance when Robert "KKK" Byrd passes either.

You mean like Bush at Bob Jones U?

Wasn't aware that Bush claimed as close a relationship with the founder(?) of BJU as Obama does with Wright.

Btw, we're talking about today, not 50+ years ago.

You mean like the revelation that Obama has harbored presidential ambitions since kindergarden? I suspect that if it weren't for HRC's run for the nomination, this whole "scandal" would only likely be buried by the so-called mainstream press.

Actually, I was thinking the other way around--it was after all Obama who brought up the topic that led to all the press coverage. And while some may consider this a threat to his campaign, he seems to be handling the situation quite well.

I for one am suspicious. But I'm suspicious of everything and everyone. :giveup:

Bush went to BJU in 2000 while running for president.

Not 50+ years ago.

You mean like Bush at Bob Jones U?

Again:

Wasn't aware that Bush claimed as close a relationship with the founder(?) of BJU as Obama does with Wright.

------------------------

Eh...it seems odd to me that Obama makes his big speech on race, which spurs press coverage of his reverend's inflamatory comments, followed by Obama's speech of how he loves the reverend but hates what he stands for.

So yeah, something more nefarious. :p

So, you think that he's waging a preemptive campaign of sorts. Either trying to anticipate an assault on that subject in the primaries or getting wind of it and reacting swiftly?

His relationship with the man is his business, his association with his campaign however tenuous is over. It's as if people are suggesting that because Wright said it, Obama must believe it and thus must secretly hate himself.

I like how any doubt he was secretly a Muslim went away once this tidbit came out, now he's a devout, by the letter, follower of a bad Christian.

If you haven't guessed it I'm an Obama supporter. I've been in some crazy churches before so this stuff no longer shocks me (though trust me it did the first... and second time). I don't believe Obama believes what Wright believes which is reflected in his campaign message, that American has changed and is ready to elect the right leader regardless of their race and gender. Now all he has to do is convince us he's the one.

I like how any doubt he was secretly a Muslim went away once this tidbit came out, now he's a devout, by the letter, follower of a bad Christian.

That's the other thing. I saw on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago coverage of the Ohio primary. A surprising number of (potential) voters questioned said they wouldn't vote for Obama because [they think] he's Muslim.

And then this happens...

Politics? Interesting?! :p

And I wouldn't go so far as to call it a conspiracy (I don't actually like conspiracies, for the record :p).

It's simple: Obama had two problems--an inflamatory reverend, and people who thought he's Muslim. If he brought to light the one, it could solve the other. And if he was the one to bring it up, he could certainly handle it better than if it, say, came out April 21.

Of course, the most this says about Obama is that he's a good strategist--not a bad quality in a president. However, it also suggests that he cares too much about image, not really a good quality in anyone. Then again, it's not like he's alone in that respect. :p

But I'm not saying that's what happen. I'm just saying that I'm suspicious.

Every single politician cares about their image. They want to get elected, after all. There are 2 fears that people are expressing on this issue right now--first, does Obama believe the same way (i.e. racism against any non-blacks, but chiefly racism against whites), and second, is Obama going to appoint people like Wright to positions where their racism would then have a direct impact on non-blacks.

I thought there were points where Obama could have done better (comparing his grandma and her occasional racist comments to Wright and the vitriol he spews was a little odd), but overall I think he gave an excellent speech on how he feels about Wright, racism, and how he wants to deal with race relations in general.

That was a do-or-die speech for Obama. If he did not do well, his campaign would have been tanked. If he did well, it would at least stop the bleeding and possibly improve his standing.

Is this a conspiracy and is the timing convenient? He's in the fishbowl, and he is going to be scrutinized very closely as someone who could very well be our next President. Reporters are going to look for anything they can find on him, because he is a bit of an unknown quantity. We know far more about McCain and Clinton because they've been in the public eye much longer. Someone may or may not have tipped off a reporter, but I know any good reporter would want to get the scoop on the story, and they're going to be doing a ton of research on him.

I think that Obama shouldn't have to answer for someone else's opinions. I obviously wouldn't vote for Obama, it seems to me that a double standard exists. If Obama has to answer for his pastor's preaching against the "white elitists," shouldn't McCain have to answer for his pastor(Hagee)'s preaching against the "evils" of homosexuality?

Archived