Home

Texas justice-10 strikes and you're out.

Totenkopf

Dear Sir, how dare you sully the good name of Texas! :D

Well the rules have changed. Now it is three strikes and you are out in Texas. You don’t usually get 61 years, but one to ten years after your third offense is not unheard of. The fines and the insurance surcharge even after your first offense are rather hefty too. No, I have not gotten one, but I work in the insurance industry.

The article does not include the dates of most of his DUI convictions, but because of his age and having already spent some time in prison I would imagine most were in the early to late 80s. At that time it was legal to consume alcohol in your vehicle and a DUI conviction amounted to a slap on the wrist. Truth be known he probably deserved more than 10 DUI convictions. During this time most of the DUI fines went to the State, but Police Department could give a Public Intoxication ticket instead and keep the money.

I don’t agree with everything Mothers Against Drunk Drivers has done, but I applauded their bring the problem of driving under the influence to the forefront and showing the seriousness of the problem to Police Departments, Politicians and the public.

Archived