Home

Adventure games in the Source Engine?

Kroms

Fix the camera and get the perspective right and that's entirely possible. 'Wacky' Day of the Tentacle type perspectives would be a little more difficult maybe.

But is Source capable of the complex processes required in an adventure game? Dialogue trees, an inventory of items that can be used together etc.? I really have no idea.

Interesting concept...

It's interesting. I mean you don't get the you know, the part-of-the-background-that-can-be-examined like the cannonballs in Monkey Island 3, but you can do a quirky Telltale Sam and Max thing...Probably...

I've just played Weekend Warrior through. It's a very interesting example of what it's possible to achieve in an off-the-shelf FPS engine, although the fact it's been "knocked up" by some students in a few months is painfully evident.

With a little bit more attention paid to camera positioning and movement, this game would have felt so much more cinematic and innovative. As it is, its static camera angles remind me of Grim Fandango - no bad thing - but the uninspiring moving-camera scenes are more akin to Tomb Raider, the camera always pointing exactly where you don't want it.

Oh, and for anyone still clinging to the idea that some kind of wacky hybrid between direct control and point-and-click should have been used for Grim Fandango and Mokee 4, just give Weekend Warrior a try. The controls are horrible.

Archived