Home

Most Memorable Video Game Moments (Spoilers abound!)

Bee Hoon

Hah, that damn chocobo race got you too, huh Bee? I got through that stupid thing through sheer determination and lots of swearing. Have you tried dodging 200 lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains for Lulu's Sigil? If that isn't an exercise in stretching your tolerance to the limit, then I don't know what is. :xp:

Come to think of it, finally dodging that last bolt was pretty memorable for me, as I actually started cheering for about five minutes before remembering to hit a save point as quickly as I could. xD

Quoted for the most absolute truth.

Worse than having a time of 0:00 on the Chocobo race is dodging those damned thunderbolts. How I hated those.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll never forget Selphie's intro in FFVIII. She's such a klutz, but oh so adorable.
I should let you hear my Selphie impersonation some time. ;)

But yes, that scene is forever emblazoned on my memory. Not every game do you see a girl fall head over heels down a rocky outcrop while wearing a mini-skirt and not actually see anything... if y'know what I mean... :p

KoTOR 1: Seeing the revelation scene

KoTOR 2: Final battle

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Unlocking Sonic!

WarCraft III/TFT(I forget): Killing the Dreadlords

Metroid Prime 3: Omega Ridley fight

Half-Life 2: Getting the Gravity Gun

Half-Life 2 Episode 2: Scene before the end credits

Sonic Adventure 2: Playing as Super Sonic and Super Shadow.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: Finding out who Tetra's true identity and fighting Ganondorf.

KoTOR 1: Seeing the revelation scene

KoTOR 2: Final battle

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Unlocking Sonic!

Metroid Prime 3: Omega Ridley fight

Half-Life 2: Getting the Gravity Gun

Half-Life 2 Episode 2: Scene before the end credits

Sonic Adventure 2: Playing as Super Sonic and Super Shadow.

Totally forgot all those, those bring me back. THe SA2 one was the best, but SSBB was good.

• 3 weeks later...

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault:

-the Sub Pen mission

-D-Day

Call of Duty:

-The first Russian Level

Half-Life:

-The experiment going 'wrong'

-Having to destroy that giant... 'thing'

-The thing in the launch chamber that you destroy

-Xen... I can say that I killed the final boss (What was it's name?) with a crowbar!

KotOR:

-The DS end cutscene

-The redemption of Bastila

Zork I:

-Finally killing the thief <---After he stole my longsword!

Zork III:

-Becoming the Dungeon Master

Civilization III:

-Launching my first ICBM

-Conquering the world

JK2:JO:

-

Finding out that Jan Lives!

-Defeating Desann

James Bond: The World Is Not Enough:

-Finally getting out of the Submarine in the end.

Half-Life 2:

-The beginning:

Where Barney takes you aside in the guise of a city guard... I was almost chewing my own knuckles!

• 2 weeks later...

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -

Finding out that Sheik is actually Princess Zelda in disguise. I was like "WHOA! NO WAY!"

Knights of the Old Republic - The big "revelation"

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - The Jedi Council scene on Dantooine. That's when you see just how hardcore Kreia is.

World of Warcraft - Just the first time I played the game. It was awesome to be in such a huge world with a bunch of other people.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast -

Finding out Jan is still alive.

Knights of The Old Republic: The Original - Revan's Revelation. Oh hell, the whole damn game had an impact!

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Almost everything that surrounded Jack. Lol... The ending is very rememberable.

Super Mario Brothers: The Original - Bowser Rules!

Duke Nukem 3D - Hail to the King Babe!

Doom: The Origianl - Why the hell did they put the developer's head in game? Lol...

- the Kotor games, where to start

Indeed, however;

KotOR

- The destruction of Taris.

Aye, having spent my time running around getting Rakghould Serum for the Dr, and running around doing other good works, it was somewhat shocking that it was all pointless. A great introduction to a brutal war.

Dantooine, having played TSL first, it was nice to see Jedi around the place

KotOR II

- The battle on Onderon.

- Pretty much everything involving Kreia, especially her speech on Dantooine

Aye both were brilliant, although the moment that sticks in my mind most was when Sion, arrived at Peragus in the Harbinger, I was thinking, I can't fight this guy now... I haven't even got a Lightsaber!

Championship Manager 4; Entire season unbeaten as Parma; won every competition I was in, and hammered, Real Madrid, Juventus and Man Utd all 4-0 at home; good times!

Oblivions countryside, very beautiful!

Tenchu Stealth Assassins, original, the first proper mission to kill the rich merchant.

Resident Evil; The Dogs! Good times, and Resident Evil 2; the underground facility near the end game, and finally 3 was best, but too short as you had run of the city.

Max Payne; the russian gangster who helps you out; practically a good guy, and the end of game, very matrix like at the top of that building.

• 3 months later...

(spoiler alert!)

Great thread!

For me:

-------

- X2: Die Bedrohung...when Trantor gets completely destroyed by the Khaak I vow to rebuild it with my own stations, factories and fleet...after months of playing I finally did that. Trantor went from being a barren, ruined and hostile system to the trade centre of old, except all the trade belonged to me. The beauty of this moment was that it had nothing to do with the game's plot (which I ignored) and all to do with the complete freedom you have to play the game however you want.

- Any number of Tomb Raider moments when you enter a HUGE multistorey chamber and wonder at the size, puzzles, jumps and possibilities of that which await you.

- Of course, when Aeris gets it. But equally I was taken by the scene later in the game when Cloud goes mad and he's wheeling back and forth in this wheelchair...dribbling incoherently. Then Bahamut attacks... - and another FFVII moment was when it finally said "insert disc 2" after what seemed like an entire lifetime of playing: I was like "crikey!".

- Kotor: not the big reveal, but two other scenes. One is the intoxicating discussion and Q&A with the Kashyyyk computer...with the realisation that only tactically-viable darkside responses will do. The other is when you first start talking with HK-47...and all you wanna do is talk with him until you've drained every last possible sentence out...such great dialogue.

- Rollcage, the Daytona track...any number of insane finishes to that race...if there is a word that combines epic and hectic then it describes these races perfectly.

- Any number of dramatic last-minute or beautiful goals scored during 10 years of playing Pro Evolution (formerly ISS) football.

- Turrican on the C64: it's 1990, I am a boy, with a new game, it's some sort of action platform shoot-em-up...I load it, it starts with instantly iconic title soundtrack...now it starts proper, I walk left-to-right...kill a few small underlings...then out-of-the-bloody-nowhere comes this HUGE flying fist and starts pounding me...whaaaaaaaaaaaat!? The game's only just started!

- Frontier Elite on the Amiga: I routinely take some wormhole, then somehow end up billions of light years away...with stupidly only one save point, which I somehow manage to activate in this strange unmapped system. Cue getting blown up by unknown alien ships and giving up on months worth of work as every time I reload I get blown up by unknown alien ships.

- Silent Hill: due to serious weapon shortage, I had no choice but to methodically batter my old friend, the policewoman who became demonic, with an iron bar...incessantly...until she bled so much and had so many broken bones that she could barely walk anymore. That was one of the darkest fights I've ever had the gruesome (dis)pleasure to partake in.

- Gotta love that very first Resident Evil scene with the flesheater.

- Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation: Psycho Mantis playing some crazy mind tricks on you. Not you, Solid Snake, but you, the real-life person sitting on the couch with a joypad. I believe it's called: breaking the fourth wall barrier.

- Conflict: Desert Storm...some crazy battle with a tank, all my team dead...my only hope is a mine I have left...boom! I just survive it but the tank does not. This was made more special in that it was a two-player team game and my mate could only look on in tense anticipation as I told him my plan. Funnily enough I had a very similar battle on Kotor with Sherruk and his gang (thanks for the name-correction, Ascendant_Justice).

Wow, I've written loads again.

KotOR - Revan Revelation. Wow. Luckily this game wasn't spoiled for me so it came as a splendid plot twist. Still brings a "Oh hell yeah!" to my face :D

The Legend of Zelda - Hidden entrances. Back in the day when this game was ground breaking, no one had much of a clue what the game was about. So when I was running around aimlessly and a mis-timed bomb blew open a hidden entrance, I knew this game was different than anything I had played up to that moment. It was even more 'awesome' when I discovered burning bushes revealed entrances. (and let's not forget the whistle and moving rocks/tombstones). Still a favorite game of mine.

Oblivion - Giant Slaughterfish / Crab - whilst roaming the massive world, and having stumbled upon these 2 different 'large' varieties of creatures, it was definitely an "oh crap" moment. I discovered the crab while dungeon diving and my torch had just burned out before crossing the ravine. This game gets DARK with no light source (and no mods). I heard something scuffling just ahead so when I lit another torch, this HUGE crab was pretty much in my face. I literally jumped out of my seat. As for the slaughterfish, yeah, it was bad.. I pretty much swam right into it's mouth so-to-say. After swallowing my heart and reloading, I then had the pleasure to examine just what kicked my arse so handily :lol: (Oblivion has many other tid-bits as well.. good game for uncovering tiny little moments such as those).

Many more.. I just need to remember them..hehehe. I'll edit post as my memory comes back ;)

Call of Duty games:

-runnning up the shore of the volga with 5 rounds and no rifle

-raising the flag over the Reichstag and firing my entire clip in the air

-shooting down fighters in the bomber mission, while watching as my plane was slowly shot to pieces

Deus Ex

-The whole game

Jagged Alliance 2

-Finding out that you actually have to somehow kill Mike for the first time

-Finding Queen Diadrana completely unarmed in her bunker, so you can have a nice chat with her and listen to her threaten to kill you before you put a bullet in her brain.

FreeSpace: The Great War: First Sighting of the Shivans. The first time I played, when they attacked that Vasudan cruiser and wiped out it and it's entire fighter group in less than thirty seconds, I was getting spooked.

And then you have to try to delay them to let the Escape Pods reach the Jump Node, and they are nearly impossible to kill unless you were already prepared, so it turns into "Let's stay on his tail and keep him maneuvering, because these ML-16s are never going to do damage."

The first sighting of the Shivan Lucifer and realizing just what we were dealing with here.

The destruction of the GTD Galatea.

The final, desperate attack on the Lucifer at the Delta Serpentis Jump Node. Flying without shields for the first time in some thirty missions, and now just one wrong move can result in you getting shot down, and you have to disable all five reactors on the Lucifer within a steep time limit. If you fail, Earth is destroyed.

FreeSpace II:

First encounter with the Shivan Ravana Class as it wipes out the GTCv Lysander and Actium within a few minutes.

The first deployment of the GTVA Colossus against the NTF and watching as it quickly annihilates their entire fleet.

First engagement with the SJ Sathanas as it obliterates everything in it's way until the GTVA Colossus stops it.

The destruction of the GTVA Colossus.

Arcanum: Absolutely everything, but a few shining points.

The investigation of P. Schuyler and Sons. That place put chills up my spine.

The Isle of Despair. Botany Bay, only a thousand times worse.

The Void. *Shudders*

Let me see...

Morrowind (When you get Corprus disease. That whole dungeon was pretty freaky. Infact almost all of VVardenfell's dungeons were freaky)

Kotor (The huge revelation)

Deus Ex

Fiding out Paul is with the NSF, Area 51, the Helios Ending

Final Fantasy IX

Finding out that Zidane is a sort of angel of death and the ending

Half Life

Defeating the Nihilanth and having that major closing narration with Gman. Gman was the best character in Half Life. I actually threw lots of grenades into the Nihilanth's brain

Archived