Home

Q: Is SWG dying? A: NO. A returning player's thoughts

Rogue15

As most of you know, I quit back in the beginning of september because, i was burnt out on SWG. I did some space, then got a guild and a city together, and then i happened to get an Xbox 360 and quit the game, my computer broke, and well it's been 7 months and now i am back in star wars galaxies on the starsider server with my cl90 elder bounty hunter, Kioet' Csuhen.

When i left the game, they were talking about getting a warden program going to remove the endless credit farmers and their annoying harrassing spam bubbles of lag, which ruined any immersion for a new player entering Mos Eisley.

The Warden Program has worked. I entered Mos Eisely yesterday, and was shocked to see NO credit farmer spam!!!!! There was well over 32 players logged in nearby.

I've noticed a constant flow of people going through Nym's Starport on Lok, over 5 people around Daeric, as well as several other npc cities.

I decided to take a player bounty, and located her on Lok in a player city...must have been afk because the jedi woman didn't last too long once i initiated contact. There were also a few other players hanging around the shuttleport there. I didn't bother asking what was up, most of them were rebels I think.

I've noticed alot more elder tags than 7 months ago.

I even dropped by Bestine to see what was happening there, there was a small crowd there, before it seemed like a ghost town. there was even some entertainment in the cantina (level 15 ent lol)

I've noticed alot more activity in the game than i did 7 months ago.

To those saying that SWG is dying, servers are gonna close, LucasArts is gonna drop SOE, etc: Play the game and find out for yourself or shut up, because after logging in and seeing for myself that the game is more alive than 7 months ago, you don't know what you're talking about. It seems to me that SOE is doing a good job.

What you say is true. Players are slowly returning. My hypothesis is either SOE will get their act together, like they slowly are now, or someone else will come.

Oh and you need to come to Sunrunner, we need more people.

I think a lot of it comes down to people giving it a chance as a different game. If I were comparing it to the old SWG pre-CU I would always hate it. I look at it as a different game.

When SOE unleashed the NGE on us, I was one of those that quit. I deleted all my toons, canceled my accounts, and left. The NGE gave me my life back. Then I realized that ther was no other game out there that offered both the ground game and a space game like SWG. Sure the space game was like Wing Commander, but Hey I liked Wing Commander. So I took the advice of a friend of mine. Started up as a fresh character on a different server.

I've been in and out for 2-3 years, I'd do a bit get frustrated/bored then leave for 3 months... But this last 2 months I cant keep away, Chilastra is packed with new and elder lvl players, theres helpers and role players on every corner (and you can actually find vender's selling stuff you need lol)

So I took the advice of a friend of mine. Started up as a fresh character on a different server.

Plus, Sunrunner has one of the best communities out of all the servers. Also second best for RP, use to be amazing. She's a little low now, but elders are coming back and new players.

15 I hate to disagree with you man, but yes, SWG is dying. It has been since April of 2005. What you are seeing is that many players who are still playing have transferred to Starsider. It has a very strong RP/space community. Even though I don't play anymore, I still check on things from time to time. Starsider is one of the top servers for population now. So it doesn't surprise me to see you talk of seeing more elders around.

And no credit farmer spam? Does that mean that even they have given up on the game? lol sorry I had to :-p

Some of the dead servers are getting worse. If you are on one of those, it's dieing. If you are on one of the more populated servers, It's getting better. On Flurry, I'm seeing a lot of players coming in. New and old. My guild has more than 150 ACTIVE members(aka we have better than 300 members with alts) and we keep getting more. We have combined some dead guilds into ours, and have 4 cities(with shuttles mind you). There's always someone on.

Yeah fortunately for the Imps on Flurry, very few are PvPers in our Rebel Guild(probably about 40 or so). Even fewer are dedicated PVPers(about 10 to 15). And they aren't all on at the same time. When the guild gets that big though it actually takes a bit of work. We've had a few people that were caught doing things against the guild policies(same faction hunting, harassment, and one was accused of stealing). So I haven't been as active in the regular stuff that I would like. All in all KAI has a mostly good name on Flurry. There are bound to be some negative opinions of us, but fortunately we can dispell those rumors fairly quickly.

I've never ever played SWG but I have to agree with han sala and Tommycat reason why is because SOE are slowly coming to there senses. I've read all the news abut SWG pre NGE/CU and watch some videos on and I must say I prefer NGE over pre-CU/NGE. People are afraid of change and thats why alot of players left SWG (this is what I believe any way.) SWG is a very different game its not like WoW or GW but fans will play it just as much. I am looking forward to see how the Star wars universe is like in MMORPG format. But all the rumors of LA is pulling the lug on SWG I'll see it when I cant log onto the game.

I've never ever played SWG but I have to agree with han sala and Tommycat reason why is because SOE are slowly coming to there senses. I've read all the news abut SWG pre NGE/CU and watch some videos on and I must say I prefer NGE over pre-CU/NGE. People are afraid of change and thats why alot of players left SWG (this is what I believe any way.) SWG is a very different game its not like WoW or GW but fans will play it just as much. I am looking forward to see how the Star wars universe is like in MMORPG format. But all the rumors of LA is pulling the lug on SWG I'll see it when I cant log onto the game.

Please, don't base an opinion off of videos. The game play expands and gets a lot deeper then that. You were never a SWG player so please don't try to place your opinion when it is automatically discredited. No offense, but you have to play to understand. It's not about the graphics or anything like that, it's completely different.

There was stuff to do, there is nothing to do now.

Kinda agree with han sala, Anyone who played both versions would rather have the old version with 32 professions over the 9 iconic professions. Nothing would make us happier than if they would bring that system back. The NGE is a fun game, but not as fun as the game was pre-CU.

If anything I would equate it to muscle cars. The old 60's era cars were slower than modern cars, sucked down gas, took a lot of work to maintain, had crappy AC, had even crappier handling, weren't nearly as comfortable, and on paper seem like junk. But I wouldn't trade one of them away for one of the modern easy to operate faster, comfy, etc cars of today. Why? Because the work involved in maintaining it and keeping it up is a labor of love. You get to enjoy it.

beast mastery

heroic instances

collections

to name a few...

Those are only fun after so long. They're just another update given by the DEVs to temporarily keep us happy.

But think about it.. You finish all the collections.. Then what? Most collections don't even give good rewards the way it is.

Heroic Instances.. Great we get new weapons.. But what does that do when a PVP system is dead? Yes, there is PVP once in a while in Restuss, but how is it fun just going out there getting ganked by 20 rebels? No actual combat just extreme teaming.

Beast Mastery... That's a joke. You have to give up your expertise in order to make a pet. Just plain stupid. Not to mention how much it costs to even grow a creature.

Where is the adventure? The Star Wars Universe is suppose to be full of adventure! Where is it? Most all the quests are boring and un-canonical. The graphics are lacking compared to other MMOs, Respecing costs way too much money which results in having to buy credits from other websites (not saying I have), and the game physics are all wrong. I want to shoot another player using skill, I want to block another Jedi's lightsaber. God dammit the least I'd want is the KOTOR fighting style.

Every time I'm on all I do is find myself sitting in Eisley thinking... What now?

• 2 months later...

YES it is dying just not dead yet as far as im concerened. The games a mere shell of what it used to be I went in this month to play and wasent impressed.

The servers are all at light to very light population few medium bloodfin and Bria are holding on. I remember when they all were heavy! I played in Lowca and its a ghost town now.For those of you who say that you see new players comming it is a mere deception on your part.all I see is the same players opening new accounts so they can have multiple professions ect.

The game now forces you to group with people to be able to solo anything I myself enjoyed soloing because sometimes you cant find anyone! and it was nice to be able to solo while waiting for your pals so, the new system sucks! nothing but jedi running around and kiddies with bad mouths!!

My opinion is why not give back what the people loved? isent it about costumer service? not what you SOE dident like and idiots on the dev team who hated the system but yet never played it?? so no it hasent got better ect its flat out terrible!

I could almost bet if they were to restore the game in its original form fix some issues here and there thier servers would be packed again and many of us would come back. John Smedley you idiot!!!!!!!!

To be honest there not all Jedi's at all, maybe for the first year after NGE every new player was Jedi, because it was new to be Jedi from the Start, but now (In the same way that a lot of people read an un-sourced flame saying "SWG is DEAD" and believe it) They see players and trolls vilifying Jedi, saying it's non canon, spoiled the game etc and go BH, in fact, my alt toons guild doesn't have a single Jedi, only Ents, Traders, loads of BH's.

My main concern is the new MMO from bioware, if it is with Lucasarts which more than likely means SW, (and I will play it BTW) will LA maintain 2 MMO's? SWG might not be what it once was in some peoples eyes, but were you really that hard done to, to want it pulled?..

I dont know what server you play in but Bloodfin is almost all jedi and im still gona stand by my comment the game is full of snot nosed little punks!

and the new people who subscribe end up leaving because the new system is terrible!

all I see is the same people who never left or,refuse to leave.the game is geared for children.

sorry IT BLOWS! and yes revert back or close it, IT'S DEAD!

John Smedley your still an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...here's my two cents as a new player. I've been playing for about two and a half weeks now, I have a bounty hunter, a trader, and a Jedi(because I'm star wars geek and I couldn't resist). The former are on Bria and the Jedi is on Starsider.

I'm actually having fun to be perfectly honest, and I've done much of my leveling solo so far, but there have been several times where I've run across people on the same quest or what not and we've grouped and knocked the quests out and then gone about our business. I haven't come across any issues with any other players really though I have noticed that Starsider seems to be more populated than Bria.

The criticism that I would give it that the grinding space combat through duty missions is a pain in the butt, and if I'm not in the right mood can be boring as hell. I would also prefer to see a way to sort the bazaar by level of equipment. It would make it easier to find things imho.

Now all of this is in the context of someone who did not play the game for more than 30 days prior to the CU and NGE. I played for about a month at launch and for reasons I don't remember stopped after that.

Ok have player numbers significantly decreased since i started (im new to the forums but have almost 4 years of game play (not exactly a birther but ive seen more than my fair share)), yes they have. Have player numbers rose significantly since if left about 3 months after the NGE, yes they have. I think Galaxies is on a return, even thought my server, Wanderhome, shows a lack of players, they are there!

What i want to know is, will galaxies ever be as much fun or emmersive to play.

I found myself this morning saying now what? after a series of missions. I NEVER said this before the CU, something or someone was always happening! Huge hunting groups, parties, the cantinas were lively! Now you walk round a town and its a bit like a sunday morning. However there is significant player increase over the past few months.

I think SOE need a re-release, to bring in a new load of players. Maybe try to bring in some new ones. OR, close down some of the lighter servers that arnt used as much, and move everything to another server (Avatars, along with gear, houses, stats ect)

It has been suggested many times to have a server merge of the smaller servers, but soe has already said that it will never happen, but in my experience...that doesnt mean it isnt going to happen. You can only pray that they will get off their retarded high horse and realize that itll bring in more money closing servers that wont have to be maintained anymore, that they can open again when the servers get too full.

The idea of reselling has happened time and time again. I own an empire divided box, the total experience box, the complete online adventures box, plus all the digital downloads (all for the free items) and theyve had numerous free trials as a chance for them to return, too many people cling to the old game wanting it to return and it wont. Its just a case of consumers being stubborn, if they all got over the old game and rejoined, it would be just as alive as it was before, plus with new content that they wouldnt get in the old version, if 1 person joins, 1 person isnt going to change anything in the game, if you could somehow convince all of the old people to rejoin then the game would be fixed instantly. Sure there's problems with the game, but the past month they've been owning the **** out of the problems, remaking every class to be more diverse and complex then the older versions, and i cant wait for hoth to come out, if its good enough, **** pre-cu, ill take hoth over that anyday.

Archived