Home

Is Jango a Mandalorian?

.:Sam:.

You'd have to ask him. :)

It was never stated in the films whether either Jango or Boba Fett considered themselves Mandalorians (obviously wearing armor means nothing -- just remember Jodo Kast the imposter ;)). As I recall Boba actually resurrected the Mandalorian ideals somewhere in the EU, but part of me wants to say that neither he nor Jango initially intended that. I think I remember reading somewhere that the armor was just kind of an aesthetic choice, potentially to strike fear into their enemies/marks. Since I have no source for this I (and you) should consider it speculation.

Well that certainly isn't true. By Jango's time, the Mandalorian race was long gone (IIRC it was even long gone by KotOR's time), so it was mostly a recruitment thing (random folks saying 'hey, I want to be a Mandalorian'). In fact I'm fairly certain there weren't really any Mandalorians left at that time in history.

So the clones would have had to decide to be Mandalorians, which, being mindless clones, they really couldn't have. After all, you wouldn't say someone is born a Democrat, would you? It's a choice, not a birthright (or a cloneright, I guess!). :p

If you've played the game Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, you should know this already, but Jango is not Mandalorian by blood, though he was raised by a Mandalorian called Jaster Mereel.

Therefore, he grew up as a Mandalorian, though was not actually one of them through birth.

So the clones would have had to decide to be Mandalorians, which, being mindless clones, they really couldn't have.

Some clones, such as a lot of the normal Clone Troopers and Omega Squad consider themselves Mandalorians, while others, like Delta Squad, don't. Most got raised as Mandalorians by the sergeants, such as Kal Skirata, which considered themselves Mandalorians (as in Mandalorian Canderous Ordo - not the race, of course). That's what I gathered from the Republic Commando novels.

If you've played the game Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, you should know this already, but Jango is not Mandalorian by blood, though he was raised by a Mandalorian called Jaster Mereel.

Therefore, he grew up as a Mandalorian, though was not actually one of them through birth.

Yeah, but, what about Cassus Fett? He's appearing lately in the KOTOR comics and his armor and gun are available in the game.

He's a Mandalorian...sort of. He was trained and raised in the Mandalorian way, I think, but he's obviously not of the Mandalorian species, no. Those died out millenia ago (from Jango Fett's timeline). Pretty much the only things left of the original Mandos are their traditions, lifestyle, code, and the honor associated with it. And their iron. And their obssession with T-shaped visors and big machines. And their awesomeness, don't forget that. :D

So basically, just like the Sith, the Mandos themselves seem to have disappeared from the galaxy, but left behind, apparently, everything else. :)

in kotor there are no actuall mandos there are just the ones that are recruited and become a "mandalorian" the actual mandos died out years before the kotor saga began.

I'm not sure if they really died out. Mandalore the Ultimate, being a real Mandalorian himself, recruited outsiders into the Mandalorian ranks because the original Mandalorians were few. So chances are, the real Mandalorians were still alive at the time of KotOR, but they became extinct eventually.

I think Canderous *might* have been a 'real' Mandalorian...

When you talk to him at one point in K1, he says 'I've been fighting in your galaxy for 50 of your years'.

Although, that could just be a cultural time difference.

I think Canderous *might* have been a 'real' Mandalorian...

When you talk to him at one point in K1, he says 'I've been fighting in your galaxy for 50 of your years'.

Although, that could just be a cultural time difference.

Probably, since he was raised as a Mandalorian, or else he would've looked like a Predator look-alike or even a hybrid, which raises some questions as to whether the Mandos are creatures from another galaxy altogether who just happened to find a hyperspace route a long time ago, leading to a galaxy far, far away... :xp:

Edit: Damn, somebody already answered this while I was typing! Oh well...

According to the Karen Travis Republic Commando books, being mandalorian has nothing to do with genetic identity and everything to do with cultural identification and adherence to the mandalorian way of seeing the world anyway. Mandalorians "adopt" people into their way of life all the time. Remember Mira from Kotor 2 and the converssations about her childhood. If she saw herself as mandalorian after she had that upbringing, she would be one.

So I'd say it's a pretty good bet that Jango and Boba Fett were mandalorian.

According to the Karen Travis Republic Commando books, being mandalorian has nothing to do with genetic identity and everything to do with cultural identification and adherence to the mandalorian way of seeing the world anyway. Mandalorians "adopt" people into their way of life all the time. Remember Mira from Kotor 2 and the converssations about her childhood. If she saw herself as mandalorian after she had that upbringing, she would be one.

At that time, yes. It was different 4,000 years ago. But from the Mandalorian Wars onwards, it's how you describe it, yes. Jango & Boba are therefore Mandalorians.

Archived