Home

China

Ray Jones

Much like how we still blame Arabs for every bombing or threat that occurs instead of idjits like Tim McVeigh and ecoterrorist?

The human rights issue is serious but as Jae astutedly pointed out, has been going on for decades (like terrorism). We can't change things over night. History does take too long but it is never kind to those who try to hurry it. Funny thing is while we do have human rights here in the states, we still have our hatreds that when acted upon constitute hate crimes. The reason we have human rights violations is because there is always some group that doesn't like another because of where they are from, and who they are. We still mistreat our immigrants. Look at the Japanese, and now the Arabs. Long fight that will keep on going.

As to the Olympics, the true spirit of the Olympics is putting your best against the best of other nations in a show of good sportsmanship. True we've had instances like the Israeli athletes who were held hostage but look at the upsides as well. At the last games North and South Korean competed as one nation after 30 or so years of separation.

China may be responsible for things that we find atrocious but these are games here. They were picked to host games that are supposed to unite the world on an international level. I would like to think that when the committee chose China, they were thinking in the spirit of uniting in spite of what has been done.

We the US claim to be tolerant of other peoples but lately I find we have been holding a double standard and has become even more apparent in recent years. We are guilty of things too that we are quick to sweep under the rug like our high unemployment rates and we prefer to blame other groups like in the 20's the Mexicans, 1860's the Irish, 40's the Japanese and Chinese and now the Arabs for things like that. If this is what it has come down to then we need to take a step back and look at ourselves before pointing fingers at other people.

Everyone wants to label all Chinese the same like how they do the Arabs. That's not so and I think we forget that. Our government promotes a culture of fear and that in turn breeds intolerance and hatred. That is not what the games are about. I for one am not boycotting them. Call me naive if you wish but I like to think that by competing we are sharing who we are with others.

I love the hypocrisy of the west

How was I being a hypocrite? Also, I'm a civilian who is unable to vote yet, so I can't do anything about all the other problems, besides talking about it with other people. Just because I didn't mention Saudi Arabia and Zimbabwe as part of the whole issue doesn't make me hypocritical... I never have and never will support those things the U.S Government does that are hypocritical.

How was I being a hypocrite? Also, I'm a civilian who is unable to vote yet, so I can't do anything about all the other problems, besides talking about it with other people. Just because I didn't mention Saudi Arabia and Zimbabwe as part of the whole issue doesn't make me hypocritical... I never have and never will support those things the U.S Government does that are hypocritical.

My friend you have personalised something that was not aimed specifically at you... How are you the West? Do you represent every single person in all of Western Europe, North America, Japen and Australia?

That said when you say things like...

entire chinese population being oppressed under communism

You realise, the entire population can't be oppressed, otherwise there would be no oppresser. And I think us in the West are oppressed by our Governments in other ways. How many Chinese people do you know? How many of them do you think feel they are oppressed?

I'm not saying that I agree with the Chinese government, and I'm not saying they don't use brainwashing and propoganda, but how is that different to any other Government.

As for the Olympics, I've never really understood them... but then I'm a footballer, so the World Cup is the only world sporting tournament I care about. That said should people like Sarazoky boycott the games? Should politics come into sport? I think thats the Sports stars decision really; not the beurocrats.

Edit: Interesting Article on the subject; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/simon_barnes/article3723595.ece

Well, if it were hosted in the US, the torch would be followed by protesters pointing out the Iraq War, Gitmo, and our foreign relations screw-ups.

China made their bid and wanted the world's eyes on them. They appear to have expected roses in the street and joyous goodwill, so I'm amused by the fact this goodwill tour has turned uncomfortable for them.

As for the Olympics, I've never really understood them... but then I'm a footballer, so the World Cup is the only world sporting tournament I care about.

I never want to hear another comment about us Americans being self-centered about our sports ever again. :lol:

You realise, the entire population can't be oppressed, otherwise there would be no oppresser.

Oh.... That makes sense. Now I see where you were coming from. As in saying I'm from the west, I generally have referred to America as 'Western Civilization'... But I can see how I had that confused now. My bad.

Yeah I have to agree that almost anywhere the olypics are held there would be protesters...

For example, if we held it in the United States, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Korea, etc, etc... We'd have lots of protesters.

That probably has something to do with the fact that a lot of the Olympics are duller than watching the grass grow. I'd rather tune into a Korean StarCraft tournament.

Actually, I'd probably watch those even if the Olympics weren't boring if I got them on TV.

• 2 weeks later...
Frankly, they could hold the olympics on the moon or in the center of the earth for all I care, as I don't watch them anyway.

I wish they would; then not only would I (or anyone who has control over my television) not be able to watch them, but they'd probably be the last Olympics as well. :xp:

Frankly, they could hold the olympics on the moon or in the center of the earth for all I care, as I don't watch them anyway. Might as well watch paint dry. ;)

How could you say that about

? It's the most exquisite ice dance routine I've ever seen. A little piece of heaven descends to us mortals here on earth whenever we watch them dance.

Archived