Home

OJP map - Mars Defense

Kaldar

Hello gays!

About a week ago I became a ojp mapper and started to create something which would suit ojp gamestyle. I had many ideas but I chose the most difficult and i think the best.

In general, there are two teams - Imperials (attackers) and Rebels (defenders). Imperials have vehicles and Rebels have base. So what's exceptional in this? That Rebels must build their base to have defenses and Imperials have to build factories to produce vehicles. It isn't a joke and so far everthing is working fine. I will update this thread and inform you about a progress. Any ideas, comments and critic are expected.

Present version 0.1:

-terrain and environment

-basic base

-command center lvl 1

-walls lvl 1

-hangar lvl 1

WIP (thnx Max ;P):

-defenses lvl 1

-towers lvl 1

-details of command center

Screenshoots will be available soon.

I forced him to release it so people could see the potential in it. There are like 6 consoles that I could count that'll build something in the map, and he's only just started. One of the later-game consoles allows you to spawn a V-wing fighter aircraft, another builds better turrets, etc. etc.

ok I tried ut the map last night and Iu must say its definitely a work in progress. The concept look interesting, Im not sure about the idea of consoles just magically 'appearing' after you hack one. It would probably make more sense to make hacks open doors to reveal new consoles if you don't already have that in mind. Other than that, I look forward to seeing what you have planned for everything that's already there. I'll just be happy if there are more ways in the fortress, better textures, better lighting, better building details, and mountains or hills that border the map so it doest just look like a giant floating square ;) Anyways, keep up the good work.

Im not sure about the idea of consoles just magically 'appearing' after you hack one. It would probably make more sense to make hacks open doors to reveal new consoles if you don't already have that in mind.

It's quite impossible for many reasons. Firstly, it would took me hours to map everything again. Secondly, it would be simply too many doors, more than 50. I would have to make wall bigger and this doesn't make any sense as there aren't so many OJP players to fill such a big map.

I'll just be happy if there are more ways in the fortress, better textures, better lighting, better building details, and mountains or hills that border the map so it doest just look like a giant floating square

From beggining: there will be MUCH (rly much) more ways, textures are only test, I'm testing different shader lights (check this out http://www.szico.map-craft.com/images/tutorials/alphashadowing/shadows1.gif), I'm still working on architecture, weather, terrain and many more things so be patient as this what I showed you was done in 1 (one) week.

You've got a nice idea going there Kaldar. So it'll be a mix between Siege and a real time strategy game, where you have to use resources to build stuff?

I tried the demo, and it's really really early WIP, but I can see you've got an idea going there. Was I supposed to play the map in Siege though? Cos I used the console to get in, and the game mode was FFA, so that may have had something to do with me not seeing everything (including what ensi was talking about)

Btw Max what's that about breakables?

mmm, I'm not sure this needs to be a siege map or not. With Siege, you could probably wire it so the game ends on a specific condition, say running out of resource points. In addition, there would be set player classes.

With Team FFA, the game would end based on kills. And you'd be able to use OJP's experience system.

So, it's a trade off. :)

New pre-alpha version arrives! http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?s1xmcfd9d1d

Present version 0.20:

-basic lights and textures

-gate lvl 1

-command center lvl 2 (still working on it)

-many bugs fixed :)

WIP:

-command center lvl 2

-towers' textures

-wall lvl 2

-bug fixing :(

-hangar lvl 2

It's still not playable but gets closer to this.

About gamemodes: I though about siege and it does make sense with classes (pilot,builder, soldier etc.) but not with objective. I can make it later when beta map will be done.

So comment and post your opinions, ideas etc!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey - I'm an experienced JKA mapper (lolcredentials) and while the map looks OK it badly needs some retexturing (the textures you've used overly tile and it could use more detail in general to avoid this). I talked to Maxstate and if you want me to fix it up a little bit let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived