Home

Games for Windows magazine drops print, goes online only

Char Ell

Heads up, GfW mag subscribers! If you got the April/May 2008 edition of the print magazine you might want to consider holding onto it as a collector's keepsake. 1UP announced today that the April/May issue will be the last issue to actually be printed and all future GfW issues will be online only through 1up.com, per a report on Gamasutra. According to a 1UP vice president the move has nothing to do with parent company Ziff Davis filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

As a current GfW subscriber I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on this one. The definite bummer part for me on this whole thing is I'm going to have to find something else for my bathroom reading material now. :doh:

The definite bummer part for me on this whole thing is I'm going to have to find something else for my bathroom reading material now. :doh:

Or you could resolve the problem the geeky way and get a laptop with wireless internet for your bathroom reading needs. :p

No, I'm not geek enough and I don't like the color :xp:
I think if they produce pink hummers they can probably alter the colors of the geek bathroom rig. :p

With regards to this move, supposedly ZD's bankruptcy wasn't supposed to be affecting much. Although in my experience, there hasn't been much for it to affect. They're probably just trying to save a couple bucks by cutting printing costs, which I'm sure is something they'd do whether they were going through bankruptcy or not.

Char likey! First, it's got green highlights. Snazzy! :cool:

Second, it's got the LCD and laptop mounted on those cool swiveling arms for extra convenience. Push or Pull? Decisions, decisions. :D

Only problem I see is with the Xbox 360 and TIVO mounted on top of the water tank. What to do when the chain comes off the handle and needs to be fixed, know what I mean? ;)

I expect Rhett to have this appended to his "man-room"

arrgh! Thats given me a very painful flashback... When I first became a mod, my initiation involved going with Rhett to a place called "The Man Room." I felt very violated that night, it was worse than 'The Crying Game' :(

:p

mtfbwya

arrgh! Thats given me a very painful flashback... When I first became a mod, my initiation involved going with Rhett to a place called "The Man Room." I felt very violated that night, it was worse than 'The Crying Game' :(

Ewwwwwww! *Flees thread*

:lol:

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I no longer have to stare at my lavatory's tile when answering the call of nature. :DPC Gamer magazine has rescued me from bathroom boredom and taken over my subscription to the now defunct print version of Games for Windows. I sit relieved! :joy:

So for anybody else that happened to have a GfW magazine subscription you have something to look forward to, if you haven't already got your copy of PC Gamer. Of course if this thread is any indication it would seem like I'm the only one around here who subscribed to GfW but just in case there is somebody else this might be welcome news. :smilehug:

PC Gamer UK is really the only decent games magazine left. Any rag that prints a four page article about a AAA title only to give it twenty odd percent as a score is worth at least flicking through for the humour factor in my book. :xp:

Archived