Home

Darth Malak impressions [spoilers]

Gurges-Ahter

What was everyone's impression of Darth Malak when they first played K1?

I loved every aspect of the game so I'm really nit-picking here, but I was a bit disappointed with Malak as a Dark Lord of the Sith. Maybe it's because I knew he was always Revan's (or "my", rather) second-fiddle, but he wasn't as evil/threatening/scary as other Dark Lords of the Sith I've encountered in other realms of the Star Wars universe (Sidious, Naga Sadow, etc.). The fight at the end was also easier than I expected, which didn't help to bolster my fear or opinion of Malak.

I guess, to sum it up, Malak seemed powerful and evil enough to be a decent apprentice, but not enough for a true Dark Lord of the Sith. Did anyone else get that impression or am I just being too picky?

I clicked here expecting to see a video of someone doing a Darth Malak impression. Hmph. :(

I quite liked Malak as a villain. I know he wasn't very deep, but he was an enjoyable adversary, one you want to fight because of the planets he's destroyed (And out of an odd sense of revenge for him having wronged the Dark Lord of the Sith). Alright, so he did steal a few traits from Vader, but he was a typical Star Wars villain, evil to be beaten by good (or succeeded by a greater evil).

I clicked here expecting to see a video of someone doing a Darth Malak impression. Hmph. :(

I quite liked Malak as a villain. I know he wasn't very deep, but he was an enjoyable adversary, one you want to fight because of the planets he's destroyed (And out of an odd sense of revenge for him having wronged the Dark Lord of the Sith). Alright, so he did steal a few traits from Vader, but he was a typical Star Wars villain, evil to be beaten by good (or succeeded by a greater evil).

Haha - I'm sorry to disappoint. I'll see if I can get the video camera set up and post to youtube with my best Malak impersonation. Ok, I won't really.

After re-reading my original post, I think it came across as overly critical of Malak. I didn't despise him as the antagonist, but always thought of him more as a Sith apprentice.

I honestly thought he looked a little geeky. I mean, whats up with the skin tight suit?

Once I actually started playing, I did enjoy having him as an adversary. the way he is described in TSL as being brutal and obvious, while not making him very deep, at least serves to contrast him with both your character and some of the other sith.

I think he was okay for what he was supposed to be. Could've been better, could've been worse. He may be very reminiscent of Darth Vader, but I think that's what they were going for; the whole game feels like it's supposed to be reminding you of the Original Trilogy. You could say Zaalbar is too much like Chewie, or the Ebon Hawk is too similar to the Millenium Falcon, but I think it was all intended.

And the scene where you see him without his jaw just creeped me out. :xp:

You could say Zaalbar is too much like Chewie.

Except for his life-bond to Mission and yourself and the fact that he is a Wookiee, I don't think he has anything else of Chewie.

And the scene where you see him without his jaw just creeped me out. :xp:

You can call that another reminiscing. Vader without helmet on ESB is just the same.

To answer the question that started the thread, I think it depends on how a Sith apprentice can become the master under the Sith code. If the code states that an apprentice killing his master in any way or taking advantage of his master's demise is legitimate succession, then Malak meets this criterion and is a Sith Lord. But if the code requires an apprentice to directly kill his master or directly arrange for his master's death in order to succeed him, then Malak isn't a Sith Lord.

My own thoughts are that he's a bit of a usurper because he didn't actually kill Revan or arrange for Revan to be killed. But he's still a fun villain and I like the echoes of Darth Vader (the Sith Lord imho) that the designers put in Malak's character.

The jaw scene was really nice. I also liked (as Ctrl said) what Dark Horse is doing with him in the comics. A contrast with the usual Ulic/Anakin/ et cetera manner in which Star Wars heroes fall. But at the same time I do think he looked strange in the orange suit (I have the PC version) and the fact he was extremely tall was a tad strange as well. Still, I prefer a contrast to the almost, no certainly, cliche version of Sith Lords that has emerged after the prequels: a dark figure in dark robes with a red lightsaber. Give me Kun, Ragnos, or Sadow any day. (Revan is obviously not cliche because his mask is imitating the Mandalorian helm.) I think the character could have been more original, but without developing a complicated backstory in the game it is unlikely it could have been accomplished with grace.

-Bearer of the Krijinia.

I think Malak was a true Dark Lord of the Sith. He might not have directly engineered the circumstances that led to Revan's ship being boarded but he 'did' take advantage of the of the situation. As we know betrayal is part of the Sith way and how else do you take down an opponent who's strength is greater than yours?

i agree Malak's character was definitly based on Vader, the only difference is that Vader was never truly the Dark Lord; Sidious/Palpatine was. that's my thought on it.

Archived