Home

Humorous KotOR 2 Review/Walkthrough

Q

Just an FYI that reading this walkthrough just might make KotOR unplayable. Try to apply this level of analysis to the KotOR writing and you may find your once-favored game seriously lacking. Just sayin'

Yes, along with the heavy dose of humor Scorchy does provide a rather in-depth analysis of the plot, doesn't he? He also doesn't hesitate to point out the game's numerous flaws, thereby providing a balanced viewpoint as well. He does an excellent job of showing why this game is worth playing in spite of it's rushed and incomplete nature.

That's why I like this walkthrough so much.

Oh man that's brilliant!

(concerning Kreia) "Basically, she's your mother. Have you called your mother lately?"

:D

And that's just at the beginning. Read the whole thing. It's awesome!

Oh man that's brilliant!

(concerning Kreia) "Basically, she's your mother. Have you called your mother lately?" :D

That's one of my favorites. That, and the description of the Handmaiden. :lol:

Yes, along with the heavy dose of humor Scorchy does provide a rather in-depth analysis of the plot, doesn't he? He also doesn't hesitate to point out the game's numerous flaws, thereby providing a balanced viewpoint as well. He does an excellent job of showing why this game is worth playing in spite of it's rushed and incomplete nature.

That's why I like this walkthrough so much.

Same here. It's good to see someone with an unbiased viewpoint for once.

Just an FYI that reading this walkthrough just might make KotOR unplayable. Try to apply this level of analysis to the KotOR writing and you may find your once-favored game seriously lacking. Just sayin'

I forgot to mention that I was suffering from this syndrome long before I read this walkthrough.

I have yet to experience BOS because of it. :(

I forgot to mention that I was suffering from this syndrome long before I read this walkthrough.

I have yet to experience BOS because of it. :(

I had a long break from KotOR before playing TSL and I don't think I'd really played it too much since either. I do remember feeling as though the game was somewhat diminished in subsequent playthroughs, but after finishing Scorchy's write-up, I decided to go through once more based on what I felt KotOR should have been like based on his observations. Now I'm finding the dialog is triggering my gag reflex more than I care for. Thanks to an observation made by Emperor Devon, I'm noticing that damn near every single line of dialog contains an exclamation point, which is driving me a little batty also. So yeah, I think I'll be retiring the game after I finish this round.

Oh, and since I've now done my homework and realized that the same guy that wrote this also did Jade Empire and Mass Effect, I don't that I will be playing either of those games either. :(

PS: What is a "BOS"?

^^^

BoS=Brotherhood of Shadow, Silveredge9's expansion pack for KotOR1. It's supposed to be really good.

Oh, and since I've now done my homework and realized that the same guy that wrote this also did Jade Empire and Mass Effect, I don't that I will be playing either of those games either. :(

I'll have to check those out. ;) Would you kindly provide linkage? I can't seem to find them.

Or did you mean that the same guy that wrote KotOR1 wrote JE and ME? :confused:

Jade Empire I heard was...meh, but Mass Effect is supposed to be good.

I never played Jade Empire, but Mass Effect was actually a good game. It does have it's moments where you can tell that it was written by the same guy though :). It really depends if you liked Kotor or not, if you did, then you will like Mass Effect.

Thanks to an observation made by Emperor Devon,

I'm flattered you remember after this long. :p

But ja, exclamation points aside a lot of the dialogue is pretty damn bad...

"Fine. Just give me the stupid datapad!"

"You better finish counting quick, because I'm ready to make my move now!"

"You can't kill me! I'm invincible!"

"I said no, flipper-head!"

Gods, you'd never see anything of quality this low from an Obsidian game.

So yeah, I think I'll be retiring the game after I finish this round.

I wouldn't go so far as to discount KotOR completely... it's nowhere nearly as good as TSL, to be sure, but I think if the following things had been implemented it could have very well been up to par with its sequel. (See below list.)

Can't speak for Mass Effect (not owning a 360), but Jade Empire's worth a play. The PC's dialogue isn't masterful and the story is admittedly fairly simple, but all the same it's plenty of fun and has a few nice plot twists of its own. (Morality-wise it's still fairly black and white, admittedly - which is a pity, given the devs set the groundwork for it to be so much more.) All the same, I don't think you'll find anyone here who'd recommend against it.

Anyways, it's a truly excellent walkthrough - amusingly enough, it offered much more insight into the game than I'd garnered from most reviews or even the Codex. (They are still sadly biased towards it , but at least they slam K1 harder. :/)

Scorch hasn't made me dislike K1 any further, though. If anything his praises of TSL have highlighted for me what BioWare could've added to make KotOR less... well, bad:

-morally ambiguous choices (it's a time of war, there were countless opportunities to raise whether the ends justify the means questions)

-more focus on an underlying theme (redemption, or above question)

-less linear planets

-more inter-party banter, especially on the Hawk

-more focus on Malak's past and Revan's role in his fall (aka a less blavk and white villain)

-more reasons for the PC to go DS (kudos to machiavelli for his idea of Revan finding out about the true Sith from the computer in the Rakatan temple)

-less... well, awful, dialogue

I'm convinced KotOR could have rivaled TSL if it had implemented the above ideas. Sadly it didn't, but I don't think there's any reason to give up on it. Many of the characters are still enjoyable, and even if the story isn't deep it's still entertaining. And with the poor dialogue fixed up, the game isn't half bad to play through. (I've been editing out some of the more terrible lines recently, and it's amazing what a difference it makes.) Even if the above ideas had been implemented it still probably wouldn't have been as good as its sequel, but it's still a fun game in its own right.

I'm flattered you remember after this long. :p

But ja, exclamation points aside a lot of the dialogue is pretty damn bad..........

Some decent ideas at the end there. The exclamation points seemed to stick out a little more in the last play through, perhaps in part b/c the voice acting seemed to indicate otherwise. Slighty annoying, but not to the point of never playing it again.

Don't get me wrong guys & gals: I still love KotOR1 and it still ranks as one of the greatest video game experiences I ever had.

At the same time it just doesn't seem to have the replay value that KotOR2 has. The lack of good writing probably has a lot to with it. KotOR1 just doesn't have the depth of KotOR2. KotOR2 has some truly deep flaws that even TSLRP won't be able to fix and still manages to come off as the better game. If Obsidian had had six more months of development time it would be indisputable.

Anyways, it's a truly excellent walkthrough - amusingly enough, it offered much more insight into the game than I'd garnered from most reviews or even the Codex. (They are still sadly biased towards it , but at least they slam K1 harder. :/)

I guess that I should have mentioned in my original post that this walkthrough is very insightful as well as being friggin' hilarious. Scorchy also went to the trouble of including all of the cut content.

Archived