Home

2012 the end of the world?

leXX

Yeah, dying because the world is ending is really the way to go. I think I'd place it right below "fatal orgasm" and "armed bank robbery gone awry" as favorable ways to die.

Indeed, I rank fatal orgasm as number one though, the apocalypse comes in second.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... Super AIDS...

Butter's Dad ~ There's no reason to be afraid of things that aren't real. There's plenty of real things to be scared of. Like Super AIDS.

Butters ~ Uh, Su-super AIDS?

Butter's Dad ~ That's right, a new form of AIDS which is resistant to drugs, just one teaspoon of Super AIDS in your butt and you're dead in three years!

Butters ~ AH! Oh Jesus!

Butter's Dad ~ So now you feel better? Ghosts don't exist and there's nothing to be afraid of... Except for Super AIDS.

Sorry... been watching too much South Park. >_>

Well, if it does happen - which I don't believe it will, being a cynic of such things, I hope it's fun. Yes, fun. I mean, how boring would it be if someone just pointed a Death Star laser at Earth and fired away, blowing us to smithereens in a matter of seconds? Not very. I wouldn't get to fight.

:(

Now fun would be something along the lines of a xenophobic alien race interested in wiping out the human race - something like Halo. Now that, would be fun.

:xp:

I guess I just live in my own fantasy world - always wanted to be the psycho, yet kickass hero trying everything desperately to save the world from disaster and destruction. That could be a tagline. My tagline.

Anyways, shame about the world and all ending 2012. I should be getting my BSBA or whatever I get by 2011 and graduating from this grand university (OSU). Looks like I'll have one year to find a job and make one year's worth of money...with a BSBA.

Looks like getting a Lamborghini in one year is out of the question. Someone needs to drop the price on those things, seriously. Darn shame that too, being that getting a Lamborghini is like a dream come true for me.

So if the world ends, it will suck. But, if it does, it must be fun.

Now back to my overload of unfairly tedious homework. It's freakin' 4:11 A.M. here, and I'm a wimp when it comes to sleep deprivation - I wanna' sleep!

- PR-0927

Okay this is kinda freaky, and before you say 'oh no, not another Nostradamus prediction', just read what I have to say.

Actually, my first impression was along the lines of "Oh no, those crazy JWs are at it again." :D

virgins would get lucky (except you Ave) etc etc

Exactly. ;)

What would you do the day the world ends?

Tell everyone I know exactly how I feel about them, hug my best friends, try and get at least a kiss out of someone, and dance... Dance... DANCE!

What would you do the day the world ends?

Probably pray, the play all of my old favorite video games. Crap around on the computer, eat stuff, etc.

Or I could just go skydiving and not pull the chute. I always though that would be an interesting way to die.

Or I could just go skydiving and not pull the chute. I always though that would be an interesting way to die.

An "interesting" way to die involves a s&m mistress, a room filled with interrogation equipment the KGB would be proud of, and an orangutan that's trained to bite on command.

So I was watching the History Channel and it had a program about the Aztecs, and one of the facts pointed out was that the Aztec calendar stopped at 2012.
My calendar stops at December 2008. Fortunately, that's not a problem with my calendar, that's just how we normally make calendars. Turns out it's the same with the Mayan calendar.

Many mistakenly believe that the Maya civilization's Long Count calendar ends abruptly on December 21, 2012. This misconception is due to the Maya practice of using only five places in Long Count Calendar inscriptions. On some monuments the Maya calculated dates far into the past and future but there is no end of the world date. There will be a Piktun ending (a cycle of 13 144,000 day Bak'tuns) on December 21st, 2012. A Piktun marks the end of a 1,872,000 day or approximately 5125 year period and is a significant event in the Maya calendar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#Long_Count

Not long ago an Italian man discovered some illustrations by Nostradamus (the book The Nostradamus Code covers the predictions), and the last 7 illustrations have been discovered to point to the end of the world. And guess what year he predicts it to happen... 2012.
Predicts what will happen? Surely the world won't end because it just stops. A catastrophe, then. But what kind of global catastrophe could occur that we wouldn't know about? I suppose it's possible for there to be a supernova within a few hundred light years and we'd be fried from that. Well, why couldn't Nostradamus predict that specifically then? Simplest answer is that he just didn't know enough to predict such things. If the person doesn't even know what's going to happen, they probably aren't the best source of information on the subject. To be honest, with all the people claiming that the world is going to (mysteriously) end on blah blah day, I don't find any of them credible. If the people alive right now can't get it right, why suppose that someone who is dead (and without the benefit of realistic end of the word scenarios) can?

Then I watched a program about the Universe and in particular the Sun. The sun changes the alignment of it's magnetic poles every 11 years, and when that happens there is an extremely high risk of a 'perfect' solar storm. One which when aligned perfectly with the earth can cause great damage. What that means for our electronic age if that happens scientists can only guess, but lets just say it won't be pretty. The last one happed in 2001, so the next one is due in 2012.
This article is interesting. I don't think there's much danger of a solar storm killing off everyone. Remember that half of the planet is shielded by billions of tons of rock and water, so people would have hours to get under concrete structures and wait it out - even if something so improbable as this perfect storm were to occur. Frying electronic devices would be bad, but hardly the end of the world.

As for you seeing them all pop up at the same time... well, wouldn't you usually call anything else like this a coincidence? Wouldn't it be crazy if you kept seeing the same shade of red on someone's shoe, on a strawberry, on a sign, in a game, etc? Well, it might be worth mentioning in casual conversation, but there's no deeper meaning to get out of it. Numbers and dates are no less common and should raise no more concern than red does.

Basically, I'm not too worried about the end of the world. :p

My calendar stops at December 2008. Fortunately, that's not a problem with my calendar, that's just how we normally make calendars. Turns out it's the same with the Mayan calendar.

That made me laugh my ass off for some reason xD

As for you seeing them all pop up at the same time... well, wouldn't you usually call anything else like this a coincidence? Wouldn't it be crazy if you kept seeing the same shade of red on someone's shoe, on a strawberry, on a sign, in a game, etc? Well, it might be worth mentioning in casual conversation, but there's no deeper meaning to get out of it. Numbers and dates are no less common and should raise no more concern than red does.

It's like that movie 23 (or whatever it's called) with Jim Carrey. A friend of mine saw it and said that while it was a good movie, if you put enough thought into it you could link whatever the flying **** you wanted to 23. It's the same with this. The only reason people get freaked out over this stuff is because they go looking for it IMO.

I'm not saying I believe it by any means, and I doubt leXX is either, rather I think she is just pointing out the sheer coincidence of it all.

You hit the nail on the head. I have never believed anything Nostradamus predicted was an actual 'prediction', just random words interpreted however you want to see them, alot like the daily horoscope (which is how his predictions started btw). Same with these illustrations, you can see whatever the hell you wanna see in them, and as Tie points out, the so called 'experts' are no such thing.

No, my interest lies in the coincidence of it all. I'm a sucker for coincidences, love them, and enjoy reading about them. I have a great book called Beyond Coincidence, (highly recommended reading) which is fascinating. I have a long running thing with my sister where we phone each other up whenever we have a great coincidence to share, and it's amazing how many we've had over the years. Whatever your view on it, you can't help but find it very interesting.

It's all wrong. Ragnarok is supposed to happen in 2012!

That video was interesting. I thought it was too one-sided, like that "Root of all Evil" video.

I don't know when the world will end and I don't really care. In 2012 I will either be 21 or 22 depending on the month. That's long enough for a fulfilling life, eh?

Nostradamus is a joke. So many things can be interpreted from it, it's hilarious to watch what people read into it.

I tell ya what though, Mötley Crüe, and Guns N' Roses are both supposed to release new albums this year, which means that anything is freaking possible at this point. I think the end of the world is actually 2008...:eek:

Well, assuming one were to believe Nostradamus, wouldn't we all have to be worried about zombies attacking at the 2008 Summer Olympics? Oh wait...I forgot. Most of the people here, while crackpots to the last, actually have some sense.

Archived