Home

Thinking of switching to SWG

jeffg316

Hey all. I am currently playing City of Villains/heros. I am kinda bleh about the game atm. I am thinking of taking a break and am wondering if it is worth it to try this game out. A couple questions....

What is the most populated servers? I see one for space (starsider) but what about others, say if I wanna roll a jedi or something and just run around and kill stuff.. Again, haven't even DL'd or bought the game so just asking questions about it.

Chilastra is doing pretty good, but I've always been with that server, I hear Bria is pretty populated and Starsider you know of, the best thing to do is try and build a community yourself, but anyway, just try it, it is goood :)

When you log onto the game it shows a list of servers, next to each server it says Heavy/Medium/Light so that you can choose a heavily populated server where you will meet people almost everywhere you go, a medium populated if you want to help the community grow to be a heavy server, or a light one where you wont meet many people at all and is similar to living in a small town irl.

During character creation you have the choice to pick from one of the 9 different professions, if you want to be a Jedi all you have to do is select Jedi. Now getting your abilities, lightsaber, and jedi robes is a different story. That requires leveling up and killing certain mobs. As you level you will automatically get certain abilities and certain items, like your basic lightsaber with more advanced lightsabers requiring quests and creation, to add to that you get 5 expertise points at level 10 and then 1 point every 2 levels after that. In your expertise window you have different skill trees that allow you to unlock even more abilities, upgrades for your existing abilities, and many other options to customize your characters strengths.

The game is very different from CoV and CoH. Upon creation, the customization of characters is rather slim, allowing only basic options for clothing but a somewhat wide selection for your characters body structure (face/nose/ears/skin color/cheeks/height/muscle size/ and even tatooes but only on certain species). Further into the game you are allowed to equip armor which shows up on your character, armor is customizable if created by certain players, you are also able to take pieces of different armor sets and mix, match, and color them to create your own specific looking armor.

There isnt enhancements that you get from drops to build up your skills, there is power-ups that can be looted or made, but they are only temporary and last for a set amount of time, and some more powerful ones can be recieved from quests.

There isnt flying, or teleporting, or running really fast, or jumping so far that you can get across the map in the blink of an eye. In fact, the jump ability in the game is completely useless. But you do have transports that you can buy that allow you to drive across a planets surface. One thing that SWG has that CoV/CoH doesnt have is space battle. Its the same as a flight simulator, using "W" to increase speed, "S" to decrease speed and the mouse to look around and fire weapons, or you can hook up a joystick if you own one.

My favorite thing about SWG over CoV/CoH though is that its not the same thing over and over. I hated in CoV/CoH how you leveled which caused your enemy to level making no real difference other then you might have a new ability, and then the quests were exactly the same over and over and over. The same map, the same enemies, the same set-up, over and over and over. SWG follows a storyline, and storylines dont repeat themselves, unless you create an alt and start all over, and with the economy being completely controlled by the players its pretty rare that youll see the same thing twice. You also have your own player owned houses, which you can put items you collect into and rearrange them to customize your own look (another very cool feature)

All together its really a great game, and I would recommend it to anyone. The controls can be fishy at first, but if you screw around with the options tabs there are ways to set it up to be exactly like CoV/CoH and not an FPS hybrid.

If you decide to join and need any help, send me a message through this website or if you join the Bria server my characters name is Drexc.

Definitely d/l the trial and play that before considering buying the game. You'll learn quickly that it's not the SW game you want to play. It's not even close to the game it used to be. It's now a WoW clone with instanced raiding etc...except it's not nearly as good as WoW.

Playing on one of the larger servers is great and all, until you're in combat with like 20 people around, then the lag kicks in because the combat is so fast. If you go to a less populated server, it will be difficult to find groups. On a free three week trial I had like 4 months ago, I was on Ahazi, one of the more populated servers and had a hard time finding a group even then...and I was a medic.

My advice, if you need a SW fix, play Knights of the Old Republic one and two. If you have already done that, go get the Lego SW game. I hear that's actually pretty good.

Who knows, you might actually like SWG.....if you do, more power to you. Have fun. :)

Definitely d/l the trial and play that before considering buying the game. You'll learn quickly that it's not the SW game you want to play. It's not even close to the game it used to be. It's now a WoW clone with instanced raiding etc...except it's not nearly as good as WoW.

First off, I've played WoW. I HATED IT. I think it sucks. Some love it, and apparently I'm in that weird group that thinks it is a steaming pile of poo. But hey what do I know I mean how bad can it be if 9million people are paying for WoW. I Like SWG. So this constant BS of saying SWG is a WoW clone is just getting annoying now. Sure there are some elements that are shared, but then WoW is a clone of a clone of a clone of Ultima Online. Heck some of the elements in WoW were in SWG BEFORE WoW came out. So does that make WoW a cheap knockoff of SWG?

Sorry, but I am so sick of this concerted effort to bash SWG and everything SOE. You forget that you are also bashing the people who are actually enjoying the game. SWG is still the only MMO that has both a space element and a ground element, and both are very different. So until you can point out a game that has both of those elements, and the ability to make player cities, and in depth crafting, back off.

Tommycat he is trying to help some one out so that jeff does not spend 15-30 bucks on swg and finds out he hates it. The first post might have seen as bashing but that was not his intent.

Sorry, but starting off with saying that he won't like the game is bashing SWG.

I fully agree with downloading the trial before buying. Absolutely 100%. I disagree with people saying it's a WoW clone and with telling people they won't like it before they try it. And considering Jeff wants to be a jedi, I think he might actually like the NGE better than the several month long boring and tedious FS grind to unlock then being hunted and losing XP which was in fact very hard to come by just to grind out more boxes so the jedi will be able to protect themselves.

No, telling someone they will hate it before they even get to try the trial is not helping them. Hey maybe we could actually ask people who are PLAYING the game for advice. I think that might be a better plan.

yeah, don't forget the player cities, storyteller (you can make your own events, very cool!), and Space.

i also have played WoW. it is not the same as SWG at all, I didn't absolutely HATE wow, i t was just extremely hard to get used to and the graphics sucked and there wasn't enough customization to the character. didn't feel like it had the RP part right like SWG does.

I believe the developers are doing a GREAT JOB on adding new and exciting content.

Back right after NGE, everyone was a freaking jedi, that was about 2 years ago, but right NOW, when i run into people, not everybody uses the same expertise template and armor, and most importantly-not everyone is a Jedi!!!!!

First off, I've played WoW. I HATED IT. I think it sucks. Some love it, and apparently I'm in that weird group that thinks it is a steaming pile of poo. I mean how bad can it be if 9million people are paying for it. I Like SWG. So this constant BS of saying SWG is a WoW clone is just getting annoying now. Sure there are some elements that are shared, but then WoW is a clone of a clone of a clone of Ultima Online. Heck some of the elements in WoW were in SWG BEFORE it came out. So does that make WoW a cheap knockoff of SWG?

I hate WoW too and that's part of the reason why I don't like the NGE...it's just a a sci-fi version of it. Lotr is another clone. In fact the only mmo out there that is somewhat different is Eve. I was simply saying if she/he had any experience with WoW and wanted something "different" that SWG might not be what they're looking for.

Sorry, but I am so sick of this concerted effort to bash SWG and everything SOE.

I'm not here making some huge effort to bash SWG and SOE as you put it. I don't start petitions or whatever. I simply don't like SWG and I despise SOE. I will never buy another SOE product. I've been a member of these forums for years, so me coming here and posting about my experiences with this game or any other LA game is nothing new.

And considering Jeff wants to be a jedi

Which is why I offered the Kotor/lego suggestions like I did.

No, telling someone they will hate it before they even get to try the trial is not helping them.

Read the first part of my post again. I said do the trial first.

Hey maybe we could actually ask people who are PLAYING the game for advice. I think that might be a better plan.

That's stupid. That's like going to buy a car but not wanting to know if there are any problems with a particular model. Sure those who's car is running well will say great things. But that is only one side of the story. As a consumer, I (would) want to know everything I can about a product so I can make an informed decision.

So until you can point out a game that has both of those elements, and the ability to make player cities, and in depth crafting, back off.

I couldn't get into space. Player cities...that few go to anymore. Most spend time in Mos Eisley or Restuss. And I have to LOL @ "in depth crafting." ROFL. The NGE gutted the best crafting system to date. So many armorsmiths/weaponsmiths and other crafters left after the NGE, because why? Oh that's right...all the best items are only obtainable via loot drop.

Finally, you have to be crazy if you think I will "back off" from posting my opinion anywhere in these forums. I have just as much right to post my views as you do. If you got a problem with that well.....that's just too damn bad.

Tommycat he is trying to help some one out so that jeff does not spend 15-30 bucks on swg and finds out he hates it. The first post might have seen as bashing but that was not his intent.

You're right Darth, I was trying to be helpful and I still believe I was.

Don't forget that even before CU, SWG never reached more than 300k subs. In fact the CU was an attempt to halt the falling sub numbers. The NGE was a second attempt. Primarily it was going by what people said they wanted, then when it hit test, they realized that they should have been careful what they wished for.

I remember the old SWG. It was called "Poke-wars" It was called "Buff-wars" it was called "DOT-Wars" Then there was the fun of "You cannot knockdown recovery while knocked down" which was slightly less fun than the KD/Dizzy combination. When they came out with the Village, almost nobody that I knew that went through it made it through without at least 5 "I'm Stuck" tickets.

I hate WoW too and that's part of the reason why I don't like the NGE...it's just a a sci-fi version of it. Lotr is another clone. In fact the only mmo out there that is somewhat different is Eve. I was simply saying if she/he had any experience with WoW and wanted something "different" that SWG might not be what they're looking for.

SWG IS NOT A CLONE OF WOW! SWG soesn't play like WoW. SWG doesn't have the cookie cutter character design. WoW doesn't have space content.

I'm not here making some huge effort to bash SWG and SOE as you put it. I don't start petitions or whatever. I simply don't like SWG and I despise SOE. I will never buy another SOE product. I've been a member of these forums for years, so me coming here and posting about my experiences with this game or any other LA game is nothing new.

More or less it was my frustration at no matter what forum I go to, any time someone says anything about SWG, you get a bunch of bitter ex SWG players who can't move on, claiming that SWG is an absolute evil now. While I fully admit it was more in depth and, dare I say it, FUN, back then that game is gone. It is not coming back.

Which is why I offered the Kotor/lego suggestions like I did.

Context? I see quite a few people who have played KotOR in SWG. I'm one of them.

Read the first part of my post again. I said do the trial first.

And I agree. I just have a problem telling someone they'll hate it before they try it. Say YOU PERSONALLY hate the game, but to tell someone you do not know they will hate it is just not right.

That's stupid. That's like going to buy a car but not wanting to know if there are any problems with a particular model. Sure those who's car is running well will say great things. But that is only one side of the story. As a consumer, I (would) want to know everything I can about a product so I can make an informed decision.

Yeah its a bit like asking someone who drove a 2002 Firebird their opinion of the 2008 Pontiac they test drove. I mean I test drove a 08 Charger SRT8, and I felt that it was clunky and uncomfortable. That somehow make me an expert on the Charger? When someone asks me about the Charger, I say I didn't like it, but it just doesn't suit me.

I couldn't get into space. Player cities...that few go to anymore. Most spend time in Mos Eisley or Restuss. And I have to LOL @ "in depth crafting." ROFL. The NGE gutted the best crafting system to date. So many armorsmiths/weaponsmiths and other crafters left after the NGE, because why? Oh that's right...all the best items are only obtainable via loot drop.

What game has more complexity on crafting? What game has a more in depth crafting system?

Finally, you have to be crazy if you think I will "back off" from posting my opinion anywhere in these forums. I have just as much right to post my views as you do. If you got a problem with that well.....that's just too damn bad.

Yeah it would be bad if I said you shouldn't post your opinion. Good thing I didn't say that.

As said, it's best to try it and decide, but hell whats $15 if you don't like it?? better to spend $15 than to go to another game oblivious to the fun you would have on SWG, just because other people dislike it.

I find that it's hard to champion SWG because theres such a vicious attitude towards it from a few people eg:

there was another thread...

post 1:It Sucks, Don't Buy it!

post 2:It Sucks, Don't Buy it!

post 3:It Sucks, Don't Buy it!

post 4:It Sucks, Don't Buy it!

post 5:It Sucks, Don't Buy it!

My Post: Hey give it a try, you might Like it :), dont focus on the Negative, it's down to Taste...

Post 7:GOD ADAMQD! You cant make people buy it!!! Stop trying to Enforce you Views on everyone!!

Post 8: Yeah!

GOD ADAMQD! Your so lame! You try to actually be friendly towards other people and always have a positive additude. Nobody wants to be friendly, we want to troll on a forum for a game that we dont play anymore because even though people who play the game have no life, we're even bigger losers!

If you guys are so big on an older version of the game go play on an Emu, or help create one thats in development right now.

I love Star Wars Galaxies. :joy:

As do I ,but I still have no respect for it.

we want to troll on a forum for a game that we dont play anymore because even though people who play the game have no life, we're even bigger losers!

So you're calling yourself a loser...That's a new angle

Try the 14 Day Trial. There's nothing to lose, and whole galaxy to gain. The worst that can happen is you end up not liking it; you haven't lost any money, and you may of have a good time or two.

Personally, I don't feel SWG should get the crap it gets. I only mind the whole 5,000 Jedi running around and the stupid names like "iMaPwNooBZ." Besides that, it's actually quite fun.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Galaxies gets a lot of flak because of what happened back in 2005 with the NGE. Many will never forgive SOE for what happened and how it happened.

However, Galaxies today is totally different to the NGE game relaunched back in 2005. Many of the key features found in the original game are back in todays version.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all. I am currently playing City of Villains/heros. I am kinda bleh about the game atm. I am thinking of taking a break and am wondering if it is worth it to try this game out.

Hello. I've just grabbed the trial myself (after, oddly enough, replaying the KotOR games... AND Jedi Academy!) and realized that I really did want to give SWG another look. I betad and wasn't in love with it. Well, it's turning out to be a blast and I am fair certain I'll buy it and keep playing, especially if I can find RP buddies.

As a player of CoH/CoV, my experiences so far are that I've had lots more fun in SWG. It's no one thing that is different that makes or breaks the experience. I love supers; I love Star Wars. The comparison isn't apples and oranges, it's apples and doughnuts. What everyone else says is true: give it a whirl.

Can you just whip up a character and kill stuff? Yes. Is it as fun as playing through some of the quests? Doesn't seem to be. For just killing away I usually grab a console game with zombies. Lots of zombies.

In regards to your server-related questions: There is a whole list of servers and what their specialty seems to be if you google or hit a site like allakhazam.com and go through their SWG section. I'm at Starsider currently, one of the unofficial RP servers (kind of like Virtue in CoH/CoV). I'll probably hit one of the GCW (Galactic Civil War aka PVP) servers as well, as PVP can often turn one game into an entirely new game.

Character classes seem to be fairly unique when compared to many other MMOs though the comparisons to CoH/CoV would be closest (as opposed to, say, EQ or WoW or LotRO -- I'm not in the Warhammer beta and can't discuss Stargate Worlds with any authority) so you'd probably feel pretty at-home with roles. The game seems well-designed for the casual player to be able to play and level without spending three hours to get a group for a 45-minute instance (or 12-minute group quest! -- FFXI, are you listening?).

I hope you give it a go and post your feedback here, I'm curious to see how another CoH veteran finds SWG.

Archived