Home

Troubles Installing Demo 2

Vil Obasio

I'm have some difficulty installing the dfmod demo.

I downloaded the demo, created the folder in my JA gamefiles folder, named it dfmod, and unzipped all the files into that folder without any trouble. I made a shortcut to jasp on my desktop. However I've run into a snag when changing the target line.

When I add "+set fs_game dfmod" to the end of the target line, and try to hit "apply", it tells me it's invalid.

What am I doing wrong?

Erh, yeah, I mean GameData folder.

All the files were unzipped into the dfmod folder in the GameData folder.

When I edit the target line, this is what it looks like:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe+set fs_game dfmod"

From what I've read on other threads, this is supposed to be correct. However it's still telling me that it's invalid.

Do I need to change the start line to anything? Are my files not in the right folder? I don't know why it's giving me an error.

EDIT: I would also like to say that it would save a lot of time and questions if the mod team added an installer to the package. They ought to think about doing that. And if nothing else, at least make the installation instructions in the readme file a little clearer. Thanks.

if you unzipped the ZIP file into the "dfmod" folder you made, then you probably have a nested folder that looks something like this:

gamedata

-dfmod

--dfmod_2008

---the pk3 and other files

if this is so, delete the dfmod folder and extract the ZIP file to your gamedata directory. then remake your shortcut. invalid path means what you are specifying doesn't exist, and I'd bet a six pack of beer that what I described above is the problem

of course we wanted to make an installer for this release, but the guy that made the installer for that 2nd demo (Fracman) suffered the loss of his mother to cancer and was unable to continue . . . so, we make due with what we have.

hope you get it going, check other threads on this forum for more clear directions.

I'm not sure I understand.

In the dfmod folder, there is no other folder. It's just all the files. There is no dfmod_2008 folder in the dfmod folder.

Are you saying I should just extract all the files directly into the GameData folder, and not into a sub-folder in the GameData folder? I would think that will cause more problems...

My current setup is as follows:

Jedi Academy folder

-GameData folder

--dfmod folder

---pk3 and other files

Are you suggesting I do the following:

Jedi Academy folder

-GameData folder

--pk3 files

I.E. just stick all the files into GameData folder without putting them in another folder first? It sounds like that's what you mean, but that doesn't make sense to me...

Please help me out. Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand.

In the dfmod folder, there is no other folder. It's just all the files. There is no dfmod_2008 folder in the dfmod folder.

Are you saying I should just extract all the files directly into the GameData folder, and not into a sub-folder in the GameData folder? I would think that will cause more problems...

My current setup is as follows:

Jedi Academy folder

-GameData folder

--dfmod folder

---pk3 and other files

Are you suggesting I do the following:

Jedi Academy folder

-GameData folder

--pk3 files

I.E. just stick all the files into GameData folder without putting them in another folder first? It sounds like that's what you mean, but that doesn't make sense to me...

Please help me out. Thanks.

no, you have it right. your shortcut is the problem. make sure it points to your jasp.exe file. check the other threads for details on the shortcut. The end quote doesn't come until AFTER the +set_fs dfmod section.

your shortcut is the problem. make sure it points to your jasp.exe file.

That's the weird part; it does point to the jasp.exe file, because when I click on the shortcut, it starts JA singleplayer.

So I've got my files in the right folder, and I've got my jasp shortcut pointing to jasp.exe. And yet it still won't let me add +set_fs dfmod to the target line.

What am I missing here?

That's the weird part; it does point to the jasp.exe file, because when I click on the shortcut, it starts JA singleplayer.

So I've got my files in the right folder, and I've got my jasp shortcut pointing to jasp.exe. And yet it still won't let me add +set_fs dfmod to the target line.

What am I missing here?

If you using a shortcut from Microsoft, then the command line have to be like this:

"C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod.

And if you using a .bat file, then the command entry have to be as this:

C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe +set fs_game dfmod,

or if the batch file is located in the GameData directory you also can just use: jasp.exe +set fs_game dfmod.

I hope I didn't confuse you totally now.

"C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod.

I tried that. Still no success.

As a side note, I downloaded the demo to my desktop first, then unzipped it to the GameData folder. It seemed more efficient at the time, but might that have somehow upset the install?

*exasperated*

again, this is WRONG!!

the correct way to make the shortcut is:

"C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe +set fs_game dfmod"

NOTICE there is no quote between .exe and +set . . .the final quote is after dfmod . . .

hope this gets you up and running

I made a Microsoft Link to jasp.exe and set the properties like this:

"C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod

and it's works perfectly.

But if I change the command line as you recommend, I'll get the following error message and I'm totally unable to safe the link:

Problem with Shortcut

The name 'C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe +set fs_game dfmod' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and the file name are correct.

(I've screenshots of this but I don't know how to embedding them here)

So maybe I'm wrong but it's works on my side fantastic how I meant it before(and I don't think Microsoft made an exception only for me).

I'm afraid to correct you, Darth_Linux.

I made a Microsoft Link to your DF Mod and the properties how it works correctly is as follow:

"C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod

Here in the screenshot you can see how I set the command line

(Note: I'm using different directory names)

But if I change the command line as you recommendating, I'll get the following error message and I'm totally unable to safe the link:

So maybe I'm wrong but it's works on my side fantastic (and I don't think Microsoft made an exception only for me).

ok, it could work like that for you I guess. My shortcut has no quotes at all . . . here it is

F:\games\ja\GameData\jasp.exe +set fs_game dfmod_2008

keep trying if you haven't got it working yet!

Yes, you are right. Your link WILL work.

But if you using the standart directory from LucasArts (it will be Jedi Knight Jedi Academy) and you do it without quotes, Windows will be unable to find the directory.

It will tell you that the dircetory C:\Jedi is invalid. This is because of the spaces between.

Darth_Linux using dircetory names without any spaces and then it will work like this.

Sorry, I didn't mention this

I have tried the following versions of the target line, (and all of them I've found here on this forum) and none of them are working:

"C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe +set fs_game dfmod"

"C:\Program Files\Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe+set fs_game dfmod"

This really shouldn't be this difficult. What am I missing here?

Aha. I think I see you problem. Did you choose your own directory when you initially installed Jedi Academy? Or did you let the software install it where it defaulted to? The reason I ask, is because regularly it will create a folder in Program Files called LucasArts. Here's how my shortcut looks:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game dfmod

I'm sorry to ask, but did you check that in your GameData directory the directory dfmod really exist? And to be sure that in this dfmod directory at least the .pk3 file (plus some other configuration files) can be found?

And did you downloaded the second edition (the .pk3 name is build.pk3, dated 29.01.2008 15:58)?

Because in my opinion, I think, there can't be anything else be wrong...

Archived