Home

Do You Talk To Yourself?

This thought just came into my head after I realised I had just spoken to myself, lol.

My question is simple: Do you talk to yourself? If you do, what about and why? Is it because your on your own and want to talk to someone, or could it be because you believe someone is listening.... (Yes I'm getting all spooky :D )

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost every day.

Sometimes I have conversations with myself about something that's bothering me in order to rationalize the arguments and come up with a logical conclusion without involving anyone else.

Sometimes I just don't realize that I'm vocalizing my thoughts.

_EW_

90% of my day, yes.

Most of it is putting myself in my various character's shoes and debating/talking/fighting with myself to make stories. Other times I'll just talk to myself in general.

I'd like to say my imagination is very flexible. So, as long as I have some music nearby or an interesting topic, I can keep myself occupied playing out stories in my head for hours.

My explanation is almost exactly the same as Enderwiggin, When I'm stressed or angry about the way I've been spoken to, or a decision made at work etc, I will pace up and down the room discussing and rationalizing with myself without realizing, especially if I was in an argument and didn't react as would of liked.

Me: I'm not schizophrenic

Me 2: Yes you are.

Me: Hush up.

I talk all day long to patients so I tend to want quiet when I'm alone, but I'll verbally think things out from time to time, especially if I need to word something the right way or want to get the inflections correct.

I knew that quite a large portion of the community talk to themselves, it's quite funny when you stop and contemplate why you actually do it.

And just for the record, I did mean vocally aloud :p As some people mentioned about talking to themselves in their head, I mean most likely 100% of the population on Earth talk to themselves in their heads. :xp:

Yes, I talk to myself. No, I don't think anyone is listening. Usually just as a stress reliever.

You know, like when you're driving and you're yelling at someone that just cut you off. You know they can't hear you, but it makes you feel better to yell at them all the same. :p

Yes, I do, a lot of times.

Mainly when I'm drawing stuff, the scene I'm drawing to just comes with the sound :lol:

If its somesort of combat scene, say a Jedi against a Sith, there's a good chance on lightsabers hums and swoosh'es xD

Or shouting insults to myself if something turns out wrong... calling myself an idiot of not seeing that !

Other times I just don't know why I do it, buts kind of fun...

My guess would be it actaully keeps people sane.

Like many some of the post above, solve their problems or frustrations/ stress by doing it, well at least partly reflecting on whats going wrong and sorts :p

I knew that quite a large portion of the community talk to themselves, it's quite funny when you stop and contemplate why you actually do it.

Because we're all narcissists who like to hear ourselves talk? :xp:

Actually, it's probably because saying something takes more effort than just thinking something. It lets you focus on what you're saying, and in turn, what you're thinking. ;)

You know, like when you're driving and you're yelling at someone that just cut you off. You know they can't hear you, but it makes you feel better to yell at them all the same. :p

Hehe, I get that, though I do normally roll the window down and make sure they hear me verbally abuse them :lol:

No, I don't think anyone is listening.

Lol, when I was writing that I got this "I'm being observed" kinda feeling, so I thought I'd be a bit philosophical and write that down.

Ahh, I think I've found another subject: Are we the contestants and Big Brother is watching..... :lol:

I don't talk to myself, because I hardly ever talk at all anyways, but I have these multiple personalities in my mind that comprise my whole, individual being and they keep fighting over things and stuff. Sometimes one of them takes control and hence my abrupt mood swings. Otherwise, they keep debating, arguing, discussing, making sophisticated decisions and/or strangling each other.

All the time. Usually just thinking out loud. I tend to ramble on about whatever I'm thinking, usually when frustrated or under pressure. I get odd looks from strangers, and my friends always want to know what I'm talking about. I hate having to explain things in that kind of situation.

Archived