Home

Choosing a class?

Kilppari

Hi everyone! I am new to these forums and also fairly new to the KOTOR 2

I purchased this game about two weeks ago, installed couple of nice mods and gave it a go.

I created my DS consular/sith lord male and had good time by killing enemies by spiffy force powers and manipulating my allies to become dark jedi.

Now I consider a new playthrough as a light sider female, but the problem is that I don't know which class to choose. Balanced and skilled sentinel seems to be good choice compared to guardian that seems to me as a stupid and brutish hack 'n slash character.

I am still quite unsure about my choice, so all kind of comment and opinions about this matter are appreciated!

Oh, and forgive all those grammatical errors, english isn't my native language. :)

I don't know why you non-native speakers are always apologizing for your English. It's so very often better than ours. :p

The guardian can be considered more of a hack 'n slash character, yes. Requires a lot less finesse so it's good for beginners. You obviously seem to already have a handle on this game, so a sentinel might be a good choice for you. IIRC that's the trickiest class to master... or was it the consular? I dunno, I play guardian cuz I'm laaazy. :p

Just remember, you can always play it yet again to try out other class combinations! :D

I'd reccomend Sentinal then Jedi Master/Jedi Weapon Master; tis what I usually do.

I don't know why you non-native speakers are always apologizing for your English. It's so very often better than ours. :p

QFT

The guardian can be considered more of a hack 'n slash character, yes. Requires a lot less finesse so it's good for beginners. You obviously seem to already have a handle on this game, so a sentinel might be a good choice for you. IIRC that's the trickiest class to master... or was it the consular? I dunno, I play guardian cuz I'm laaazy. :p

Consular is hardest Charachter to play as IMO

Consular is hardest Charachter to play as IMO

Not actually after lvl 18; "Powaaah!!!, unlimited powaah!!!", if you get my meaning... :D

One thing that I also liked about Consular is that you can be nice smart-ass pupil to Kreia by using those wisdom lines. I must imagine how stupid Kreia holds you if you are guardian. :)

Anyway; I've gotta try sentinel and see how it plays out.

Btw; Inyri, I just noticed that my DS male used your caucasian head skin with that added goatee -thingy, good work, liked it a lot.

I think it depends largely how you build/roleplay the character. Yes, it is much easier to build a hacky-slashy Jedi if you go Guardian, but I like to remember that even Jedi Guardians try to avoid fights whenever possible. I tend to play my LS characters as Guardians because Consulars/Masters get a lot of force powers and many of the LS force powers are buffs (which don't require DC checks anyways).

"Force Statis > 2 rounds of hacking frozen enemies > Force Statis > repeat" is only fun for so long. If I'm going to do something over and over again, it might as well be lightsabering dudes in half in one hit.

So yeah, go Guardian, but don't be afraid to take Affect Mind/Dominate Mind, spend a few skill points on Persuade, invest a couple attribute points in Wisdom, etc. Just cuz it says "focuses on combat" doesn't mean you have to play as Darth Maul. Free free to go a little "young Obi-Wan" with it. ;) ...and save the Consular/Master stuff for DS when you need a lot of offensive force powers to survive.

Anyway; I've gotta try sentinel and see how it plays out.

What? You haven't played as a Sentinel in K2? Blasphemy! :p

K2 isn't a difficult game. Once you hit level 12 or so, you'll never die again. Well, first time playing, you might. And of course there are always those oddities. But in general, you won't die no matter what your class is. So that means you don't have to focus your entire character on combat. I always pick Sentinel in K2 because of three reasons:

1) Skills; they're worth so much more in K2 than K1. Yes, you can just make T3 or Bao-Dur do all that for you, you don't have them for the first few hours of the game, and that happens to be when skills are most important.

2) All those nice immunities. Those are an added bonus.

And 3) In general it's a good balance. Your FP and VP will be high enough so that the bonuses you'll get with the other two classes won't matter, especially if you focus on Constitution, Wisdom, and FP and VP feats (Toughness and the two regeneration ones). And of course there are plenty of items that boost all of these as well.

For a LS female I usually went with the Sentinel >> Watchman combination. There's always Sentinel >> Master which should have some interesting results. For male I had a LS (or sometimes DS) Guardian >> Sith Lord/Jedi Master.

HEY! Guardians aren't stupid! They have a lot of awesome Feats, and they're pretty much the only ones who can master a lightsaber, not to mention their predecessor, the Soldier, can master ALL of the Weapon Feats.

Anyways, I ALWAYS go with Tanks (Soldier/Guardian/Weapon Master/Maurader) because I prefer to be in the heat of battle, using the various Feats and combat techniques to my advantage, as well as my lightsaber, instead of shooting/casting from the sidelines. So yeah, the Guardian is a fun and simple class to play, IMO.

The Sentinels are very good at dodging attacks, sneaking around, and utilizing their skills. As for Force Powers, I can see them being VERY good at buffing their teammates, as well as disrupting an enemy force, but not outright killing them.

The Consulars are amazing spellcasters capable of nuking enemies without much hassle. A Consular can even be capable of singlehandedly killing off an entire squad...provided he's well-protected.

Meh, a Consular with Force Storm, Force Kill and Force Crush (Sith Lord) beats it all.

HEY! Guardians aren't stupid! They have a lot of awesome Feats, and they're pretty much the only ones who can master a lightsaber, not to mention their predecessor, the Soldier, can master ALL of the Weapon Feats.

Don't say you use all the weapon classes with one character? I mean, I certainly don't, hence it's not that much useful.

Don't say you use all the weapon classes with one character? I mean, I certainly don't, hence it's not that much useful.

Point taken, lightsabers are not as clumsy or random as a common blaster. Although it's not much, I think Guardians (and maybe even their Prestige classes) are the only ones with access to the Lightsaber Specialization feat, and I found it very handy to be able to reach Master Flurry earlier than most classes with their constant feat progression. ;) As for Force Powers, Insanity is all I need. :D

Trying out a Guardian in K2 now...don't like it so far. :p

Had to waste one of my feats to make Security a class skill, and even with 14 Intelligence I still only get 3 bloody points per level.

Although it's not much, I think Guardians (and maybe even their Prestige classes) are the only ones with access to the Lightsaber Specialization feat...

All classes have access to the Lightsaber Specialization feat; however, only Guardians and the prestige classes have access to the third tier. Weapon Masters have access to three additional tiers.

I don't recall the bonuses offhand, but I don't think it's much. Probably something like +1 attack or damage with each tier. Could get the same bonuses by upgrading the saber, and it's much easier to do that when you get more than three bloody skill points per level. :p

Trying out a Guardian in K2 now...don't like it so far. :p

Had to waste one of my feats to make Security a class skill, and even with 14 Intelligence I still only get 3 bloody points per level.

All classes have access to the Lightsaber Specialization feat; however, only Guardians and the prestige classes have access to the third tier. Weapon Masters have access to three additional tiers.

I don't recall the bonuses offhand, but I don't think it's much. Probably something like +1 attack or damage with each tier. Could get the same bonuses by upgrading the saber, and it's much easier to do that when you get more than three bloody skill points per level. :p

Ugh, it was even worse with KOTOR:

"WTF?! ONE SKILL POINT?! :xp: "

Also, you're pretty much right about how upgrading the sabers allows you to kick more ass than gaining the feats. That's why I pretty much just choose the Implant, Special Attack, Two-Handed Fighting, and Armor feats, instead. :D

For me, I still recommend Consular/Weapon Master or Consular/Watchman

For the former, Consular gets Force Focus, more Force powers while Weapon Master gets more feats, and there'll be a nice balance between force powers and feats. Very nice at Melee combat--you got enough feats, and a lot of powers to buff yourself up, and this character's force powers are equally dangerous.

It never matters whether you choose light or dark, since the Exile gets TONS of FP and light/dark power penalty can be ignored. As a LS Consular/Weapon Master Force Storm is actually one of my favorite Force powers. Well, the penalty for your teammates cannot be ignored, though. They don't get that much FP.

For the latter, Consular's very high DC force powers--those stun powers like Force Wave, Stasis Field, Insanity and etc can make Watchman's sneak attack ability more dangerous. Also you'll get a lot of skill points with only something like 12 INT or even 10 INT.

Anyways, I ALWAYS go with Tanks (Soldier/Guardian/Weapon Master/Maurader) because I prefer to be in the heat of battle, using the various Feats and combat techniques to my advantage, as well as my lightsaber, instead of shooting/casting from the sidelines. So yeah, the Guardian is a fun and simple class to play, IMO.

The Sentinels are very good at dodging attacks, sneaking around, and utilizing their skills. As for Force Powers, I can see them being VERY good at buffing their teammates, as well as disrupting an enemy force, but not outright killing them.

The Consulars are amazing spellcasters capable of nuking enemies without much hassle. A Consular can even be capable of singlehandedly killing off an entire squad...provided he's well-protected.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg! Who told you that you can DEFINE the three classes in such a way?

Consulars are NOT spellcasters. They get 1BAB per level as well as other classes, they can be good at melee combat, too. Even as a Consular/Sith Lord I can win against Kelborn. In fact since the saves of the final boss is beasty I recommend taking her down with lightsabers even if you are a Consular/Jedi Master or Sith Lord.

And no matter what your class combination is, usually you'll have to protect the others because usually, you are the toughest character in the team. War Veteran feat gets the Exile far more HP than her teammates at the beginning of the game. If you are a male Exile that's even better, you get Battle Precognition, which makes your AC a lot higher than your teammates.

Consulars are NOT spellcasters. They get 1BAB per level as well as other classes

Only in K2. ;)

War Veteran feat gets the Exile far more HP than her teammates at the beginning of the game.

This why I always give all of my NPCs (all the Jedi, anyway) all three Toughness feats, as well as VP regeneration (FP too, while we're on the subject). I give it to my PC as well, but it's not as much a priority. Much easier than boosting the Constitution, because that takes much longer, and those attribute points could be spent on Dexterity or Wisdom. However, I usually boost Kreia's Con up to 18 in addition to the feats, because she has such low VP to start. Plus, it's easiest to give her the Revitalize powers, and they're no use when she's the one out, are they?

If you are a male Exile that's even better, you get Battle Precognition, which makes your AC a lot higher than your teammates.

Well, only if you don't wear armor. ;) I always wear the Jal Shey/Zeison Sha varieties, to boost my Wisdom, Charisma, and through upgrades Constitution, VP regeneration, and energy resistance.

Combine the VP regeneration feat, Toughness, War Veteran, Biorestorative underlay, Jal Shey mentor gloves, and Biotech implant, and you've got an insane amount of VP and VP regeneration, no matter what your class.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg! Who told you that you can DEFINE the three classes in such a way?

Teh voyses im mai hed...

Oops, my bad. Been a rather short time since I've played, yet I've already forgotten the details of it. :xp:

Archived