Home

How much does a gallon of gas cost for you now?

Jae Onasi

Threads like this one make me happy I don't have a car.

Agreed.

In the city I live in, gas is up to $1.05 a litre. Not sure what that equates to in gallons. I've heard that it's up closer to $1.40 in Toronto, though. They'll most likely break $1.80 by July, and by September it'll probably be over a twonie a litre.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though riding in one you need to play the radio/CD as it seems that tires on the road at freeway speeds are quite loud with no engine noise to help dampen it! :lol: (You can only really hear the cooling fans running as far as 'noise' the car makes, and the road noise isn't too bad.)

These cars are so quiet that some lawmakers are considering adding some kind of beeper to them--people who are blind and are trying to cross the street can't hear the cars, so they end up walking out into the crosswalk and getting hit. It seems to be a particular problem when people are driving and turning right, because they're usually looking to their left for oncoming traffic, and don't always see the blind person step out in front of them.

Somewhat on topic; amusingly the cheapest place I've ever got petrol is in the middle of the Sahara desert at a Petrol station on a main road (the nearest settlements to it were 250km - the staff lived there)...

3p a litre! (I don't know what the equivalant price is, but pence in Britain is the equivialant of cents, I'm not sure what the price in Derims (Moroccan currancy was); the Petrol in western Sahara is subsidised by the Moroccan government hence the price.

Just so it's clear, the United States has been officially on the Metric system since Jefferson was President. Don't go telling anyone..... :lol:

Also, there are two different measurements for a gallon-- the US gallon is 3.79 Liters, the Imperial(British) gallon is 4.55 liter.

These cars are so quiet that some lawmakers are considering adding some kind of beeper to them--people who are blind and are trying to cross the street can't hear the cars, so they end up walking out into the crosswalk and getting hit. It seems to be a particular problem when people are driving and turning right, because they're usually looking to their left for oncoming traffic, and don't always see the blind person step out in front of them.

Sorry mama Jae but this info is slightly incorrect (likely it leads from an article published regarding the EV program that came before us and people restating that), on the outside the fuel-cell vehicle makes a unique sound/noise for it to be 'heard', believe me. ;)

The local petrol station's selling for about 119p a litre. If a gallon is 4.55 litres then it's about £5.41 which, roughly converted, would be about $10.80 a gallon. Consider yourselves lucky ;).

Mind, petrol and other fuels are heavily taxed in the UK. Apparently it makes us more environmentally friendly but the only effect I can see is that of making poor families poorer...

QFE

You should try it out in this country dudes ;)

Sorry mama Jae but this info is slightly incorrect (likely it leads from an article published regarding the EV program that came before us and people restating that), on the outside the fuel-cell vehicle makes a unique sound/noise for it to be 'heard', believe me. ;)

Actually, this came from an interview on WGN radio with a blind woman who apparently experienced the problem directly. :) I don't think it's a problem when the car is moving--it's when the car is at a stop light waiting to go that it's a problem, particularly if other loud city noises drown out what little noise it does make.

I paid $3.70 today.

Firstly, you darn Americans! Its not 1783.... the world is METRIC! Why do you lag behind so ;) Liberia and Myanmar are the only two other countries that will still use that arcane system........not exactly esteemed company :p
Word!

* Canadian high 5's Aussie *

Firstly, you darn Americans! Its not 1783.... the world is METRIC! Why do you lag behind so Liberia and Myanmar are the only two other countries that will still use that arcane system........not exactly esteemed company

In theory (and to an extent in practice) the UK still runs the two systems in parallel.

Actually, this came from an interview on WGN radio with a blind woman who apparently experienced the problem directly. :) I don't think it's a problem when the car is moving--it's when the car is at a stop light waiting to go that it's a problem, particularly if other loud city noises drown out what little noise it does make.

Not from a Hydrogen Fuel cell car... trust me on this they have a very distinctive running sound. ;)

Sounds like an ignorant person speaking on a biased show perpetuating a "rumor" that existed about the EV program to me.

Not from a Hydrogen Fuel cell car... trust me on this they have a very distinctive running sound. ;)

Sounds like an ignorant person speaking on a biased show perpetuating a "rumor" that existed about the EV program to me.

Thr Prius can indeed be totally silent when at lights/crossings... still I'd be more concerned that *driver* can see the blind person, rather than the blind person hearing them.

There are a horde of peope that are superbly ignorant when it comes to knowledge about eco friendly cars like the hybrids, smart card of H-cell car...

The one I *always* get about the Prius is "how long do ya have to plug in your electric car to recharge every night" ?? and "those cars arent energy effciient, because you have to use up electricity plugging them in every night!! etc.... uneducated fools.

RedHawke, is this the FCX you have ?? Whilst I think they are super cool, to say they Honda designed team "borrowed' from the Prius as far as design aesthetics is a huge understantement :D

You mentioned

160 miles (250 km) on 4kg of Gasious Hydrogen at 5000 psi, though the tanks are rated for 10,000 psi and testing it at that pressure it went near 350 miles (560 km)...

how does this translate into:

1. How much it costs to fill a tank ?

2. How far you can get on that tank ?

I really would like to know that in time for me thinking about a new car in 2010. The 2008 Prius will get me circa 2000kms per 50L tank. Of course, what 50L will cost then is a different story, but good to know the numbers anyway :D

mtfbwya

I really would like to know that in time for me thinking about a new car in 2010.
You know that water vapor is a greenhouse gas, right?

If you're looking at hydrogen fuel cell for geo-political reasons, then enjoy the purchase. If you're doing it for environmental purposes, then enjoy the ride, but let's hope this never seriously takes off.

You know that water vapor is a greenhouse gas, right?

If you're looking at hydrogen fuel cell for geo-political reasons, then enjoy the purchase. If you're doing it for environmental purposes, then enjoy the ride, but let's hope this never seriously takes off.

The net effect of course depends on the source for the hydrogen. If it's coming from the electrolysis of water then the net accumulation of H2O is zero.

Archived